By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why so stubborn? What's really wrong with digital media?

Sentient_Nebula said:
For me, there's 2 main reasons I prefer retail over digital

1: More freedom with the game. I can lend it to a friend or sell it used. Much more convenient than the way to lend digital games (Create account on friend's console, then download the whole game, then delete it if someone else wants to play it on another console. For handhelds, it's not possible at all, as they only have 1 account)

2: They generally cost less. A $60 game on PSN or Xbox Live is going to stay at $60 indefinitely, only dropping temporarily during occasional sales. Disc-based games often start dropping in price as little as a week after launch. I buy my retail games from Amazon (no sales tax) So even at launch, I'm paying exactly the same as for a digital game, plus get the benefits as listed above.

Only way to make me go all-digital is to make digital games cost less than their disc-based counterparts.

1.  My friends and I just bring the entire console with us when we go somewhere.  IF one of us has digital games the other one doesn't, that we'll actually play.  In my case, I have all the games my friends have, except PS all stars.  But, bringing over one game or two makes more sense than the whole console.

2. That just isn't correct.  I bought GTAV for 30 bucks.  I bought tomb raider for 10 dollars.  I bought many disc retail games that were 60, for five.  Games do drop in price digitally, they just don't drop at the same time as retail.  I specifically listed everything i bought from PSN this year for a reason.

Around the Network

All digital games really should be at least 10$ cheaper than retail. Can't see it though cus that extra $10 is a lot to SOny and MS in the long run.

Burning Typhoon said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Just cause its as satisfying for u to add digital games to ur collection as physical games, doesnt mean it is to everyone else.  There are many cases where its cheaper to buy a physical game than a digital one, it goes both ways.  Many times a game drops to $40 at a store a month or two after launch, but stays at full price on PSN.

Discs don't deteriorate over time, as long as you actually take care of ur stuff it will last.  I've only ever had one disc that crapped out on me, payed a few bucks to fix it and it was fine.

Well, I'd personally only heard stories of discs going bad on people.  As for myself, no, I've never had that happen.  None of my PS3 discs have a single scratch on them, so they're all in like-new condition.  Everything else broke as a result of me not taking well enough care of them, lol.

And what games is it that are dropping?

I know Tekken Tag Tournament 2 dropped, but I got that game on release day.  Beyond: Two Soul also dropped.  Got it release day...  I guess I've answered my question.  But, I love each of those games, and glad I got them on release day. I beat beyond 10 times.  Five consecutive without playing any other games inbetween.  I can't do it an 11th time, because I'm all burnt out on that game, lol.  But, I enjoyed it so much, and I got the steel book, I don't mind paying 60, for it or TTT2.

Wasn't even mad when they dropped in retail price.

It doesn't even have to be a drop in price, a sale that lasts for a week is common.  EBGames has a different deal every week so you often see games drop in price, but then go back up after.  I tend to buy quite a bit of games so its just not possible for me to get every game at release, ofc there are those games that I love that I'm willing to put down $70 like you, those future releases being KH3, MGSV, FFXV and Batman Arkham Knight.  

And to answer ur question, just looked at EBGames and South Park is for sale and is cheaper to get physical than digital.

https://www.ebgames.ca/SearchResult/QuickSearch?q=south+park

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/south-park-the-stick-of-truth/cid=UP0001-NPUB31306_00-SOUTHPARKTSOTGAM?smcid=pdc:en-us:pdc-games-detail-south-park-the-stick-of-truth:buy-download:south-park-the-stick-of-truth-ps3-ps3:up0001-npub31306_00-southparktsotgam

Aside from the problems with pricing, games being tied to bannable accounts, and the fact that I really don't see what the problem is with driving your ass to the store and buying a game, shitty Internet and bandwidth caps are a serious dealbreaker for all-digital gaming for my part.

I live on a 2 Mbps connection that gets throttled after just two hours of max speed.

Besides, I love having racks full of games.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network

I have about 600 games on digital, across steam, origin, psn, xbl, eshop..

I don't mind buying digital games for very cheap online, but I couldn't imagine myself investing $60 in a non-physical copy. The exception being The Witcher 3 which I will buy on GOG as it's DRM free. Aside from the enjoying having a physical collection I've always been a bit Jaded from when my friend had his 360 account hacked too. But yes digital is fine in general, but ironically I think I am aiming to go more physical this generation as games start pushing the 50gig bluray capacity. My flat does not have the best broadband and I used to roll my eyes when some new games were only 10 gigs ~_~

VGhippy said:

I don't mind buying digital games for very cheap online, but I couldn't imagine myself investing $60 in a non-physical copy. The exception being The Witcher 3 which I will buy on GOG as it's DRM free. Aside from the enjoying having a physical collection I've always been a bit Jaded from when my friend had his 360 account hacked too. But yes digital is fine in general, but ironically I think I am aiming to go more physical this generation as games start pushing the 50gig bluray capacity. My flat does not have the best broadband and I used to roll my eyes when some new games were only 10 gigs ~_~

Yeah...  Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and GTAV both come out to 18GB.  Ni No Kuni is probably about 25GB?  They are my largest games..  Maybe I wont be sticking to digital when I move to PS4.  50GB a game would be far too much.

As for accounts getting hacked, I used random passwords that dont mean anything, like r49jfwj92jqn.  I can remember stuff like that, and I know it wont get hacked.  I just mashed the keyboard for that example, but, I use random captials and symbols too.  Not worried about getting hacked.  Hacking to most people means "someone guessed my password," I don't think people are legitimately hacked very often.

No human is guessing my passwords, lol.

TheWPCTraveler said:
I live on a 2 Mbps connection that gets throttled after just two hours of max speed.

Besides, I love having racks full of games.

I'm on the same situation and I love having my games scattered through out the house. I'm like a dog and have marked my territories. lol!

And when I try to find the game because one of my buddies wants to borrow it. I have to find it, so its like a scavenger hunt. See even that's a game, you can't do that with digital. lol!

I wouldn't want to go on a scavenger hunt with my physical games. I'll just get angry and want to know where it is.. even if i hadn't played it in over 2 years.