By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why so stubborn? What's really wrong with digital media?

3 main reasons for me.

1. Shitty internet meaning big downloads take forever
2. no resell value at all
3. and finally lack of hard drive space. If i have to delete something. I can quickly reinstall it later from the disc if i want to play it again, i dread to think how long a 25gb to 50gb (even 60gb) game would take to download.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network
the2real4mafol said:
3 main reasons for me.

3. and finally lack of hard drive space. If i have to delete something. I can quickly reinstall it later from the disc if i want to play it again, i dread to think how long a 25gb to 50gb (even 60gb) game would take to download.

just buy another hdd with the savings. u can play most games from a usb3.0 hdd, so u dont have to install it inside.

generic-user-1 said:
the2real4mafol said:
3 main reasons for me.

just buy another hdd with the savings. u can play most games from a usb3.0 hdd, so u dont have to install it inside.

What savings? At least here physical is still less than digital, even before resell value.
HDDs tend to fail a lot sooner than discs, and if a hdd fails you lose everything on it. I haven't had 1 unreadable disc yet since CDs, at least 6 failed HDDs in that time. I've now got all our personal data saved on 3 separate HDDs, paranoid maybe, but sick of losing stuff due to HDD failures.

Btw when you install stuff on an external HDD from an XB1, can another XB1 read it too? Or are you screwed when the console breaks?

SvennoJ said:
generic-user-1 said:
the2real4mafol said:
3 main reasons for me.

What savings? At least here physical is still less than digital, even before resell value.
HDDs tend to fail a lot sooner than discs, and if a hdd fails you lose everything on it. I haven't had 1 unreadable disc yet since CDs, at least 6 failed HDDs in that time. I've now got all our personal data saved on 3 separate HDDs, paranoid maybe, but sick of losing stuff due to HDD failures.

Btw when you install stuff on an external HDD from an XB1, can another XB1 read it too? Or are you screwed when the console breaks?

why should you go digital with a console?  And steam saving  are easyly enough to buy another hdd.    and i dont know what you are doing, never had problems with HDD, just put a used(10 years of gaming pc duty) hdd in an original xbox last week(realy nice console!).

generic-user-1 said:
SvennoJ said:
generic-user-1 said:
the2real4mafol said:
3 main reasons for me.

why should you go digital with a console?  And steam saving  are easyly enough to buy another hdd.    and i dont know what you are doing, never had problems with HDD, just put a used(10 years of gaming pc duty) hdd in an original xbox last week(realy nice console!).

Trust me. Don't treat a HDD like it will never break. I've had a HDD in my oldest PC last 11 years. It finally failed in 2012. They will eventually go. Some longer some shorter. Always be prepared with backups. And they may not even fail. But the boot sector gets corrupted. And you have to reformat. I got this to happen, because RAM in my sisters PC failed and kept BSOD it. Which corrputed the HDD boot proccess. My friend had this happen for no reason. He just booted his Drive Bay. Bam, PC asks to format the drive.

Around the Network

I'm not against digital, but just having a whole collection of games looks awesome. Sometimes I look through and then I see for example super smash football for the GameCube. That's a satisfaction that digital will never give you.

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

archer9234 said:
generic-user-1 said:
SvennoJ said:
generic-user-1 said:
the2real4mafol said:
3 main reasons for me.

Trust me. Don't treat a HDD like it will never break. I've had a HDD in my oldest PC last 11 years. It finally failed in 2012. They will eventually go. Some longer some shorter. Always be prepared with backups. And they may not even fail. But the boot sector gets corrupted. And you have to reformat. I got this to happen, because RAM in my sisters PC failed and kept BSOD it. Which corrputed the HDD boot proccess. My friend had this happen for no reason. He just booted his Drive Bay. Bam, PC asks to format the drive.

sure, they fail someday, but the risk isnt that high. and if it fails, just download the games again. its not like you cant download from steam while u play.

generic-user-1 said:
archer9234 said:
generic-user-1 said:
SvennoJ said:
generic-user-1 said:
the2real4mafol said:
3 main reasons for me.

sure, they fail someday, but the risk isnt that high. and if it fails, just download the games again. its not like you cant download from steam while u play.

Can't really do that if I'm using my PS3 when PSN is discontinued for it many years from now. Need the system fully hacked, or Discs for security.

archer9234 said:
generic-user-1 said:
archer9234 said:

Can't really do that if I'm using my PS3 when PSN is discontinued for it many years from now. Need the system fully hacked, or Discs for security.

thats right for the last gen, but for this, you realy think they will let u patch the game after they discontinued the ps4?

but i just would go digital on pc

generic-user-1 said:
SvennoJ said:

Regular daily use, I'm talking over the course of 20 years here. Do you have a 20 year old HDD that still works? I have plenty CDs older than that without any problems. Pretty much most of my magnetic media from over 20 years ago is toast. HDDs get bad sectors all the time and your pc usually manages to work around that, until they show up in the boot sector. I just did a chkdsk on my 5 year old PC that's not even used that much, already a bunch of lost clusters found.

But indeed, why go digital with console. I go physical for PC too when possible. It's the same price, free delivery, no big download, fast install, goes right into my Steam library as well. No fuss installing it on my desktop and laptop, no downloading it twice, no need for a backup.

It does suck that many games don't work all that well without a (bunch of) patch(es). At least I can trade those in and keep the ones that work fine out of the box.