By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why so stubborn? What's really wrong with digital media?

I will never go digital. I just like having a game to hold and look at, and not have to worry about corrupted data/loss of support for the distribution store.

Around the Network

I have full control of the movie/tv show. Where and how I use it. I can rip and control how its put on my digital devices. Bitrate, FPS, aspect ratio, etc. And not be  tethered to net limits or when it fails. I don't have to log into nothing. Simple as that. I can care less that I can play things faster or have to swap discs. If companies stopped blocking the buttons with all those dumb startup ads and warnings. Discs would equal file startup. Games, I have all my past system connected and running. And normally never rebuy anything.

Also, the logging into my account on friends system, is not an option. Unlike most people. I do a 40+ random symbols PW I can't remember. It's written down. I could never log into my account without bring that paper. Not conveniant.

The best thing about digital copies is that you can take that and give it to a friend to play as well. Or perhaps the added value of taking that digital copy and bringing it to a store and selling it back to them in case you dont like the game. (sarcasm)

The biggest difference that I see between digital and physical is that you don't actually own the copy of the game when you buy it digitally. Legally speaking, you only own the right to download a copy of the game. In essence, your digital copy holds no value after purchase (other than the opportunity to play the game).

Burning Typhoon said:
Vladdie93 said:

A) Actually, that is true. But even then, if the console breaks, I'd then have to re-download every single game again rather than simply be able to put the disk in.

B) If I went Digital, I'd have to pay $100 for the same experience. So, yeah, I'm going to save money, thank you.

C) It's just me. I could wait, but I like playing the game as quickly as possible.

D) I have the items to take a full console to places (GAEMS G-155 Vanguard), but it's still very meticulous and I'd rather just take the game.

E) I could get GTAV used for the same price on Amazon. Also, Sonic Generation for the same price. BUT, here's what I'm talking about: 

Which would sound more appealing to you?

Killzone: Shadowfall (Digital) - $40        VS         Killzone: Shadowfall (Retail GameStop) - $20 used

Assassin's Creed IV (Digital) - $50          VS          Assassin's Creed IV (Retail GameStop) - $40 used

Hitman Absolution (Digital) - $20         VS          Hitman Absolution (Retail Wal-mart) - $10 new

Digital might have price drops every now and again, but on average retail will cost less over a shorter period of time and will save between $10-20 on average. And even if you wouldn't sell the game you don't like, I would and do on average. It means that I can get a spend less on a different game that I'll be more likely to enjoy, and that someone else can buy the game I had at a lower cost.

That's why I choose retail.

A. I have my backups stored on an external HDD.  But, I'll give you this.  The back-up itself did take 10 hours and 15 minutes to create.  To have all of my games back onto a new HDD would take quite some time, I admit.

B. You could have just stayed away from the game.  I tried the beta.  Hated the game...  At least for 60 bucks I hated it.  Getting Destiny was never even a consideration in my mind.

C.  I can wait, most of the time...  I know I wont be waiting on Tekken 7 or Mortal Kombat X, though.

D. Couldn't make sense of what you were saying.  What?

E. I do NOT buy used games.  At all.  Period.  I hate them.  I don't want someone's old games, I wouldn't do it.  Not only that.  I like a wide range of games, but I do NOT like Killzone, and I especially hate assassin's creed more than any FPS.  I've had a terrible experience with assassin's creed III.  I'm not giving them my money again.  Period.

As for Hitman: Absolution, I already bought that game digital for 7 dollars.  I haven't played it yet, so any more wouldn't even be worth it to me.  Digital or physical.

However...  I'll also say that I'd much be in favor of a disc based games on PS4 if the file size gets too big.  I don't want to wait 2 days for a 50GB game to download, or however long it would take.  I don't have that problem on PS3.  Most are around 5-10.  Rarely hitting anything past 16GB.'

Right now, this thread has learned me two things.  It's probably a better idea to go for disc when the file sizes get extreme.  It's probably going to be a problem when everything shuts down in the future.  Hopefully when the stores shut down, there wont be a need for DRM, and maybe the PS3 consoles will be patched to ignore it.  Otherwise, we'd be screwed.

A) Yeah, I'll go with the quicker option of just having the discs for now.

B) Yes, because I'm going to know exactly what games I'm going to hate before getting them. Doesn't matter whether or not a game has a style that looks like it's right up your alley or that you enjoyed the beta enough to actually grab a copy. And this is part of my problem with digital. It has such a massive requirement that you must either love the game or regret getting it. I don't regret getting Destiny because, while I didn't like it enough to keep it, I only spent $60 and got to play 2 games rather than spending $60, disliking the game, and spending another $40 for the other. You might not have liked how the game looked, but there's a chance that others did. And retail allows me to trade in a game I don't like as much.

C) Eh, if it's small enough I can wait. Like I said, inFamous and Mordor. But there's a lot of games that have massive files that I would not even bother trying to wait for, since it would cut in to my usage of the internet for other games.

D) I can take my console to other peoples houses. I have a small case with a TV in it that I can use to take my console to other peoples houses or to a spot without a TV. Sometimes I use this. However, I would rather simply bring over the disc, because it's simpler. I hope that cleared it up.

E) Gonna start by saying those were examples of games you could buy. Whether or not you hate the games doesn't make the point any more or less valid. As for this concern you have with used games, as long as you buy them from a refutable source there's nothing wrong with them. Why on earth would you spend more on the exact same game. I mean, if your concern was focused on making sure the developer gets more money for their product, then I'd understand. But the way you worded it it sounds like buying used games are on the same tier as buying used condoms. I've only had one problem with a used game my entire life and it's because I bought it from a shitty store. Every other game has worked perfectly.

But you've gotten me really curious. What's the difference between a used game and a new one?

Oh you know DRM is going to continue, regardless if GameStop closes or not. Hell, I'd wager the problems would only get WORSE because there would be no other way of purchasing the games! 

Those sales are just weekly though, when a phyisical game drops in price it stays that way for the most part

Those game files are large and the load times for me is long. Ill stick to physical

I want to own my game. period

Around the Network

My problem is my internet. It takes ages for digital games to download. Also, on wii u the discs are cheaper then on the eshop. And, if I want to take the game to a friends house or somthing i can if i have the disc but i can't with digital.

For me, digital is a necessity. I'm Nigerian and I live in Nigeria. Anything shipped into the country will have its price marked up. So $60 games are sold for the equivalent of about $80 here. Also, its harder to find certain genres/series of games because they're not popular with the average Nigerian. It's just so much more convenient for me to go digital. (And I don't have a huge backlog like the OP)

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Depends on how you use the media.
I'm ok with movies on demand because I watch them once and that's it. It's very rare that I watch a movie more often. Same goes for books.
But when it comes to music and games I'll stick with physical. I have lots of it and like it filling my cupboards. Case, cover and manual are part of the design and art to me and I keep going back to music and games just like everybody else does. I listen to songs hundreds, thousands of times and play games over and over again.
There's music and games that is only digital but great (imo) so I'll get that digitally but that's ok.
I also want to be able to always come back to something and not lose it because of license expiring, host company going down, artist/developer going crazy and pulling it from every available source just because, etc.

And yeah, of course physical games, and sometimes even music, is still cheaper which is a stupid move to raise prices by up to 30%.

SvennoJ said:

Because this:

All generations together, with the freedom to trade in what I don't want to keep.
Never worry about HDDs getting full or breaking, download caps, download speeds, network problems, lifetime / continued availability of titles. Plus there are still the occasional extras, for example Civ Beyond earth included a full size poster, GTA5 a map, for the same price as a digital file. Besides it would take me days to download GTA5 and use up 70% of my monthly data cap.

I like you display that opened up PS3. Did it YLOD on you?

there so many problems with digita; media that it aint worth the trouble of going digital only.