By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sunset Overdrive Free for Xbox Live Gold Members this Saturday

I've got a question about this game. I know it has a profanity and gore filter. How effective is that? Does it take the M rating down to a T? I'm not into games with excessive gore or cursing and that's why I have avoided this game. But if the filters are effective, I might take a chance on this chance to play it for free.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

Around the Network
dreamcast210 said:
I've got a question about this game. I know it has a profanity and gore filter. How effective is that? Does it take the M rating down to a T? I'm not into games with excessive gore or cursing and that's why I have avoided this game. But if the filters are effective, I might take a chance on this chance to play it for free.

It's effective. The gore is not in the Mortal Kombat sense.

FIT_Gamer said:
Sales must have been pretty bad.

Yeah, thats the vibe this gives off.....

Althought I do think Microsoft is trying/will try to push ips that are not just gears, fable and halo to shake off some stigma.

RenderMonk said:
300k sold for a top hyped EXCLUSIVE from an established studio like Insominiac.....very bad. Considering there were approximately 6 million Xbox1 install base, that means there was a .05% attach rate for the game, with 300K copies sold. That is not good by any standards. Usually it's at least 1% attach rate. 5% or 10% is considered a success. .05% is a failure.

That's why they are giving the game away for free for a day, in an effort to show people that it's a good game, and to buy it. Problem is, people that buy an Xbox just aren't interested. Xbox only users are primarily FPS fans primarily, and look for the dark grey/green/brown hyper-realistic games. SunsetOverdrive is a 3rd person action/shooter with bright colors and that's the opposite of what the base of Xbox fans look for.

Insomniac games aren't huge sellers. Maybe you should look at the launches of the Ratchet and Resistance games.
Sunset Overdrive is in between those and on a much lower userbase than Resistance 2 and 3 were. On top of that it's a new IP as well.

Also as already pointed out, the attach rate is much higher than 0.05%. It's 4.5% (week ending November 8th)

GamechaserBE said:
true_fan said:
RenderMonk said:
300k sold for a top hyped EXCLUSIVE from an established studio like Insominiac.....very bad. Considering there were approximately 6 million Xbox1 install base, that means there was a .05% attach rate for the game, with 300K copies sold. That is not good by any standards. Usually it's at least 1% attach rate. 5% or 10% is considered a success. .05% is a failure.

That's why they are giving the game away for free for a day, in an effort to show people that it's a good game, and to buy it. Problem is, people that buy an Xbox just aren't interested. Xbox only users are primarily FPS fans primarily, and look for the dark grey/green/brown hyper-realistic games. SunsetOverdrive is a 3rd person action/shooter with bright colors and that's the opposite of what the base of Xbox fans look for.

Even though you are trying your best to downplay the game, you just deemed it a success. 300k/6 million is 5%. Work on your math. 

Yeah I read his comment and was thinking the same ^^'.  Anyway Insomniac games are not big sellers and normally also have legs.  The bundled version, digital version is not counted aswell so 300k miminim now can be a potential million seller./lol

LOL I see what I did, it's .05 when divided, I just forgot that represents 5% when written out. It's early. My percentage of attach rate for success was what was incorrect then. 10% is considered a success, but still not great. If/when they sell 600k, that will be considered decent sales for a new IP.  Anything less than that, just isn't good no matter how you spin it....even if some of my math skills aren't functioning at peak conditions this morning. :)

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

Around the Network

Oh. Shit.

I get that they're trying to boost awareness but a lot of people will probably beat the game in that time. Great game but it doesn't have Forza level content.

Awesome. Will try.

If it was permanent I would claim sales plummeted and/or ms is crazy but for 24h the game did ok but have a lot of potential to sale much more. Quite good marketing strategy, kudos to ms and everybody that will enjoy this great game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

hmm, I do agree that this must be a method to try and increase sales. Its been out only 3 weeks so sales must have been below expectations.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54