By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone see any good reason why GTAV's(PS4/X1 editions) meta is higher than Smash U's?

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
bigtakilla said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
the better game gets better meta , its strange right?

So, if you take out last gen remakes, Smash U is the best game to date with Bayonetta 2 being the second best. It sounds like this statement is accurate. All I can say is ^ this.

if taking out remakes makes you feel happy

but remakes wont go away and they are there , gta5 and the last of us and VVVVVV (iOS ( not a remake :D ) still have better metas than smash brothers, you can pretend all you want they dont exist.

I'm just stating facts. The top two games that aren't remakes for next gen consoles are both Wii U games.

Around the Network

It's meta is 3 points higher as of now.

spurgeonryan said:

Can we travel the world in GTAV yet? I want every city on the planet! No? Well then I am let down. 8/10

Oh, come on. That's expecting a little too much!

GTAexpert said:
vkaraujo said:

We are talking about the whole IP, not top selling game of either. GTA IP managed to sell 140M, while Pokemon sold over 230M.

The GTA series sold over 185 million units by May 2014 http://www.gamespot.com/articles/grand-theft-auto-series-sales-climb-to-185-million-units-how-many-do-you-own/1100-6419898/

Anyways sales of an entire IP doesn't indicate its popularity.  Individual games do and that's where GTA outsells Pokemon. Any series can sell a lot with annual releases.

We are going to disagree on that subject than, because i don't see how individual sales would reflect the popularity of the whole IP. Both games are subjected to different business model/cycles.

GTA sells a lot more when it does releases exactly because of its bigger cycle, that creates a lot of hype and . Selling over 10M every year is also a lot and it does shows the strength of the Pokemon IP. And no, it is not "any series" that can do that.

Likewise, i would say that COD is more popular than both, even if it also loses to GTA in the years they release together. Selling 20M+ every year compensates for that.

tbone51 said:
bubblegamer said:
Because one is more popular than the other? Just maybe...

Pokemon is more popular than both, but meta always has it between 84-89 :0

Yeah, but Pokemon is a game that should have a metascore in the 40s.  Its popularity is the reason why it's in the high 80s.

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:
curl-6 said:

Because running over civilians and murdering prostitutes is cooool, bro

There is more to GTA than that

True, but that doesn't stop this beng one of its key points of appeal to 10-19 year olds, one of its primary target demographics.

vkaraujo said:
GTAexpert said:
vkaraujo said:

We are talking about the whole IP, not top selling game of either. GTA IP managed to sell 140M, while Pokemon sold over 230M.

The GTA series sold over 185 million units by May 2014 http://www.gamespot.com/articles/grand-theft-auto-series-sales-climb-to-185-million-units-how-many-do-you-own/1100-6419898/

Anyways sales of an entire IP doesn't indicate its popularity.  Individual games do and that's where GTA outsells Pokemon. Any series can sell a lot with annual releases.

We are going to disagree on that subject than, because i don't see how individual sales would reflect the popularity of the whole IP. Both games are subjected to different business model/cycles.

GTA sells a lot more when it does releases exactly because of its bigger cycle, that creates a lot of hype and . Selling over 10M every year is also a lot and it does shows the strength of the Pokemon IP. And no, it is not "any series" that can do that.

Likewise, i would say that COD is more popular than both, even if it also loses to GTA in the years they release together. Selling 20M+ every year compensates for that.

Overall sales do not reflect overall popularity. If you don't see how individual sales reflect popularity then that's your problem, but I will try to help you on the subject. When a new Pokemon game releases (or any franchised title for that matter) and it sells 15 million units we can safely assume 15 million people are playing it. When another Pokemon game releases and it sells another 15 million units most of those people who bought the last one are buying the new one. Total sales of the two games = 30 million but just because two pokemon games sold 30 million combined does not mean that 30 million different people bought it. This is the point of franchising so you get repeat buyers.

GTA 5 sold 34 million units, if the last pokemon game couldn't even manage half that (with both X AND Y, two titles) then how is Pokemon as popular as GTA? Oh because it has more sales overall? According to your logic, if a single game were to sell 229 million units it would not be as popular as Pokemon because the whole Pokemon franchise has sold over 230 million. If I'm missing something please let me know.

And just so we're clear, I'm only pointing out the flaw in your logic, not which franchise is more popular as a whole. In the videogame realm GTA is one of the most popular titles but there is no denying how huge Pokemon is in and outside of the videogame market. Toy industry is huge, anime show was huge, trading card game was huge. I mean as far as recognition, Pokemon takes the cake quite easily imo.

I think we shouldnt compare metastatic scores, especially when they game are completely different to eachother

Pocky Lover Boy! 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
bigtakilla said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
bigtakilla said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
the better game gets better meta , its strange right?

So, if you take out last gen remakes, Smash U is the best game to date with Bayonetta 2 being the second best. It sounds like this statement is accurate. All I can say is ^ this.

if taking out remakes makes you feel happy

but remakes wont go away and they are there , gta5 and the last of us and VVVVVV (iOS ( not a remake :D ) still have better metas than smash brothers, you can pretend all you want they dont exist.

I'm just stating facts. The top two games that aren't remakes for next gen consoles are both Wii U games.

And i stated another fact for you, cause YOU quoted me in a thread that compares a remake and a new game.

Dont think what you said bothers me , i dont have a wiiU and i could care less about the scores it gets.

Well, I don't have nor do I care to get the remakes, so I guess we're even. Also, it's easier to believe you don't care if you don't get all defensive. 

curl-6 said:
GTAexpert said:
curl-6 said:

Because running over civilians and murdering prostitutes is cooool, bro

There is more to GTA than that

True, but that doesn't stop this beng one of its key points of appeal to 10-19 year olds, one of its primary target demographics.

All games have target demographics, and the way I see it, the average SSB player is a lot younger than the average GTA player.

And your original comment has no relevance as to why GTA V scored higher on metacritic.