By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's Your Favourite British Gaming Franchise?

Deus Ex. I love the cyberpunk theme. I like Tomb Raider as well. Sony Girl would probably say Perfect Dark.

Around the Network

Franchise... That limits it. I feel I owe the tombraider franchise an apology after bitching about it for years. I recently played the first one (With improvements) on xbox 360 and was impressed. The controls wasn't awful and it had the kind of oldschool gameplay I long for from modern third parties. But still not a fav.

I've enjoyed the gta games but not as much as many people. I'd be really disappointed if that was my favourite.

Banjo and kazooie are good but again I'd be disappointed if that's the best the UK had.

Perfect dark... only if the series had managed to live up to goldeneye... which in my view it didn't.

I'm going to pick an old one which I really wish was revisited with a sequel or spiritual sequel but with modern tech.

Is it Worms...
Is it Lemmings...
No, it's Magic Carpet!

XanderXT said:
Deus Ex. I love the cyberpunk theme. I like Tomb Raider as well. Sony Girl would probably say Perfect Dark.

Deus Ex is American. It is by John Romero. same guy who did Doom.

the later games are french canadian. 

WipeOut

Mike_L said:

Very interesting thread as there are so many talented game developers in Britain (unmatched imo). These are just some of those I see as the most prominent.

If there is something we are good at it's sitting down, having a nice tea and doing some computer work. Best engineers and programmers in the world here.

Video Games are our entertainment biggest industry and a lot of money is invested in it. Government are a bit stupid when it comes to this fact mind you and have only just introduced a tax break for it. We need to encourage more youth to get into it.

Hmm, pie.

GTA, no contest whatsoever.

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
XanderXT said:

Deus Ex is American. It is by John Romero. same guy who did Doom.

the later games are french canadian. 

It's by Warren Spector.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

XanderXT said:

Ion Storm was Texas based studio, and Deus Ex: HR is develeoped by Eidos Montreal. Eidos was British publisher, so I'm guessing that can count.

Anyway, it's a great franchise (2nd part not so much), and original game is, IMO, one of the best games ever made.

For all the fans that missed it, this article is really interesting read on unfinished sequels:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-16-ion-storms-lost-deus-ex-sequels

The Fury said:

WipeOut

Mike_L said:

Very interesting thread as there are so many talented game developers in Britain (unmatched imo). These are just some of those I see as the most prominent.

If there is something we are good at it's sitting down, having a nice tea and doing some computer work. Best engineers and programmers in the world here.

Video Games are our entertainment biggest industry and a lot of money is invested in it. Government are a bit stupid when it comes to this fact mind you and have only just introduced a tax break for it. We need to encourage more youth to get into it.

Exactly x}

Agreed. The tax break came far too late and a lot of damage was already done. Many of our most talented developers moved to Canada or US in the meantime. Still I'm sure British game development can recover and match its former glory. One doesn't have to look any further than the recent GTA V, Alien: Isolation, Forza Horizon 2 and Driveclub.

I have a lot of faith in the upcoming Batman: Arkham Knight, Crackdown 3, Hellblade and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Hopefully we'll see a return of the great TimeSplitters, The Getaway, Wipeout and Fable as well.

Either Batman Arkham or LittleBigPlanet.Probably LBP

fable