By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the fascination about cinematic games?

Tagged games:

I agree on the Assassin's Creed part. I only played AC4, but i was frustrated with the "push one button to everything".
I couldn't undestand how people enjoyed the franchise that much.

Thanks god the pirate part was awesome and well done. In the end i enjoyed AC4 a lot, but not because of the assassin part.

Around the Network

The better question is, what is with all the hate cinematic experiences are getting?

How hard is it to understand that some people really care about graphics, story, music, a good and memorable plot while others, don't? Pushing a button is only a part of the gameplay. As for reviewers always giving cinematic games or games with good graphics good scores, Ryse would like to say hi. If anything, graphics are taken for granted and are completely ignored in most reviews in terms of the final score they receive.

And to answer your question, for many people like me, cutscenes create an emotional bond with the character. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have liked Ni no Kuni (or cared for Ollie's quest) nearly as much as I did. Same with Eternal Sonata and it's main characters. For me the story is one of the most important parts and cutscenes help a great deal with making me care about the characters. Reading a text is not the same, hence why I watch anime and not read manga.

But the point is that I get that other people care most about gameplay and I don't criticize them. Why do you fell the need to tell others that there's something wrong with their tastes in gaming and you don't simply realize that it's nothing more than "different strokes for different folks", as already pointed out?

LemonSlice said:
DaAndy said:

It is like if in Mariokart8 you can restart every race as often as you want. Then you can drive it unlimited times in a row and only go on to the next race if you managed to come in first. If not - one more try, one more try, one more try.

For me it was really really satisfying and motivating to go for the 16 tracks cup in MarioKart DoubleDash on gamecube. Sure it can also be a bit frustrating when you won 14 tracks and in on the 15th track you only rank second and so don't manage to get a perfect score. I experienced it a couple of times - indeed i think i never got 160 points in the extra/mirrored CUP with all tracks, but thats perfectly fine.

Never done that. Were you forced to do that or something?

Sorry, you should read the "can" as "could". You can NOT do it. But this option would make the 3 star rating (you earn one of the three stars by getting full points) completely nonsense. In the actual game you sometimes have to drive a complete cup several times untill you did well in each single race. Could you save after each race and repeat each one as often as you like to, you only have to do well once on each track and then go on to the next.

You could drive race one untill you managed to get 1st - then the same for race two, three and four. But you do not have to do well in all of them in the same "playthrough".

YarHar707 said:

[...]Why do you think some publishers are soo butthurt at let's players, when some of the best bits of their games are the cascade of cutscenes between the lumps of banal gameplay that also happens to be in a corridor.[...].

That makes quite some sence.

If a game (without targeting a specific one) has not much more to offer other than graphics and cutscenes then people can get the whole experience simply by watching. They dont have to buy and play it themselves - it is then just like a movie.

Sentient_Nebula said:
There's a few reasons.

[...]
4: Reviewers are also to blame here. If a game has good graphics, it always receive praise for it. Good graphics is guaranteed to earn a game at least some points in a review score. However, they'll rarely (if ever) praise a game for a good framerate, and framerate is never really brought up unless it suffers from frequent sub-30fps dips.

I had the same feeling at some point during last generation, that games - regardless of how they really are - just need to look good to automatically getting 70%+. But there have been some games which did look good, but did not managed to get this score. So I changed my mind later on.

Having better graphics, but only running on 30fps with a few framerate drops will always make a better scoring than having worse graphics but running at constant 60fps. I agree with you.

naruball said:
[...]

And to answer your question, for many people like me, cutscenes create an emotional bond with the character. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have liked Ni no Kuni (or cared for Ollie's quest) nearly as much as I did. Same with Eternal Sonata and it's main characters. For me the story is one of the most important parts and cutscenes help a great deal with making me care about the characters. Reading a text is not the same, hence why I watch anime and not read manga.

But the point is that I get that other people care most about gameplay and I don't criticize them. Why do you fell the need to tell others that there's something wrong with their tastes in gaming and you don't simply realize that it's nothing more than "different strokes for different folks", as already pointed out?

Firstly - I am sorry, i never wanted to tell other players that they have a bad taste or something like this. Everything is very subjective, everyone liking other kind of games. I did not wanted my post to sound like i wanna criticize all the people which have other opinions.

Just to let you know - i really really loved Eternal Sonata. Even though - if i remember correctly - it also had quite some cutscenes, it never felt like they are disturbing the gameplay flow. In my opinion it really has been a good game. I liked (almost^^) everything about it - especially the end of the game.

NiKKoM said:
Cause gameplay design kinda stopped.. Game designers can't wow people with gameplay anymore so it shifted to visuals and story.[...]

At least it probably is easier to say "look at that visuals, its amazing" instead of saying "now take a look at these gameplay features". Visuals are also transported by bare screenshots, and in general they are much more obviously. They are the surface of a game, which is being seen directly from the beginning on, while gameplay features (more or less the content of a game) would take much more time to explain.

So all in all i guess it just is about "easy and uncomplicated entertainment", like watching a movie.

I can accept a few cinematic moments, but filling the whole game with them, particularly with ones with timed button mashing that triggers in-game actions otherwise impossible with the game's interface turns a game in an interactive movie, in the best hypothesis, or exposes it as a badly designed game in the worst.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I feel like more often than not, most companies use the word "Cinematic" experience to make an excuse why the game is 30fps and not 60fps. But in terms of cutscenes and etc, its very game dependent. I love story but I also love gameplay and the best games are the ones that have both in harmony while the worst are the ones that usually focus tooooooo much on story and not enough on gameplay. And obviously, both have to be good to begin with in order to make the game interesting so in terms of cutscenes, I don't mind them most of the time (again game dependent) but I do hate this "We are making the game more cinematic so we are targeting 30fps instead of 60fps" nonsense

Hyper Super-Ultra-Megaduper "This"

Around the Network

I do not mind it, but it is funny and frustrating when it goes "amazing action cut scene" to "boring walking interactive part" to "amazing action cut scene".

Why have me walk that thirty seconds? Just make it all one cut scene. I remember Metal Gear Solid 2 doing this on the Shell section.

naruball said:
The better question is, what is with all the hate cinematic experiences are getting?

How hard is it to understand that some people really care about graphics, story, music, a good and memorable plot while others, don't? Pushing a button is only a part of the gameplay. As for reviewers always giving cinematic games or games with good graphics good scores, Ryse would like to say hi. If anything, graphics are taken for granted and are completely ignored in most reviews in terms of the final score they receive.

Out of curiousity, if you and these people really care most about graphics, story, music and plot...why aren't you just watching a movie? Movies will always be better at being "cinematic" than games, but games have a huge bag of tricks that it can pull from to make engaging stories that are unique to games (the story isn't the problem...the way of telling it is). That is why I don't like the goal to be cinematic, even if the end result turns out well. 

PS: Cutscenes aren't the only way to tell a story. I consider cutscenes to be like exposition dumps in books or movies... its just a lazy way of getting information to the player because you don't have the skill to work it in organically. There can also be voice acting in games without taking control away from you as the character.

DaAndy said:
LemonSlice said:
DaAndy said:

It is like if in Mariokart8 you can restart every race as often as you want. Then you can drive it unlimited times in a row and only go on to the next race if you managed to come in first. If not - one more try, one more try, one more try.

Never done that. Were you forced to do that or something?

Sorry, you should read the "can" as "could". You can NOT do it. But this option would make the 3 star rating (you earn one of the three stars by getting full points) completely nonsense. In the actual game you sometimes have to drive a complete cup several times untill you did well in each single race. Could you save after each race and repeat each one as often as you like to, you only have to do well once on each track and then go on to the next.

You could drive race one untill you managed to get 1st - then the same for race two, three and four. But you do not have to do well in all of them in the same "playthrough".

I understood that, just said I didn't feel the need to do that since I wouldn't have felt the same amount of accomplishment, and I love the buzz that comes from frustration.

I don´t get it either.

DaAndy said:

Why do people like doing virtually nothing but still getting rewarded?

Intrinsic said:
"cinematic games" aka "press X for awesome" are just easier to play. Thus more accessible. And ultimately sell better.

Convergence of the medias imo. Games are leaning towards movies because they want to attrack not only gamers but people that don't game at all and those that like movies.