By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Films/books that made you cry.

Well The Green Mile was on Channel 4 (United Kingdom) last night, and I almost held myself back, but it's a very sad film. The Green Mile is the only film I have cried to that I can remember (I think when I was 3/4 I had a Thomas the Tank Engine video that did it, but that was a long time ago) and so far each of the 3 times I have seen it it has made me cry at the end. This time I deliberately switched channels for the execution of Eduard Delacroix, which is a sickening bit of film, but not as sad as the ending.

Book Wise the first time I read His Dark Materials I cried (this was 7/8 years ago) and more recently the trilogy by Lois de Bernieres has also had a tear shed, specifically in the second book at the death of the character Lazaro, as well as when Anica dies.

Are there any books or films that have ever made you cry? Any other mediums also, though I can't say I have ever cried over any music or a video game... they don't seem to be able to portray sadness like films and books can.

Around the Network

When Dumbledore died in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, lol how sad is that.

Also The Lion King film.

Bambi... but I was like six years old.

tombi123 said:
When Dumbledore died in Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, lol how sad is that.

Also The Lion King film.

I laughed and enjoyed when that happened, don't see how it can make anyone sad or even make them cry. 0.o

on another note, Lion King was an awesome movie, never made me cry or even close to crying though.

when i was first married to my wife we watched the notebook...at end when she remembers him but forgets and you see the pain in his face.....i couldnt help but think that someday that might happen to me or my wife...i dont know what i would do if i still had her but she wasnt there anymore

Around the Network

The only film/TV that makes me cry is the episode of futurama called "Jurrasic Bark". It makes me cry everytime I see it, if you don't cry during that episode you have no soul.

Concerning books, A Message in a Bottle by Nickolas Sparks really did it for me. Some short story's of the history of Middle-earth are also really sad and moving. The Children of Húrin was pretty sad.

Movie-wise, Pay It Forward almost does it to me every time. The Lord of the Rings is pretty sad at the end when they're saying goodbye too.

I cried when I saw the first 3 Harry Potter movies, because they were such a disappointment. I didn't cry when Dumbledore died though.

Old Yeller.

The Green Mile yes, very very sad film and solid acting all across the cast.
Grave of the Fireflies, which Nazna recommended, was even worse and made me really choke and water-eyed.
I don't get that reaction from books mostly, but it was close in The Serpentwar Saga by Raymond Feist when my favourite character sacrificed himself to save the city he had come to serve for 70+ years.
I also find the endings in both the Gladiator and Braveheart deeply moving, yet again because of stunning acting from the whole cast and both movies have a very emotional soundtrack!
I find myself teary-eyed to this day when I hear Elysium by Zimmer and Gerard or A Gift of Thistle by Horner.

fkusumot said:

Old Yeller.

Ok, thats a nother one that made me cry as a kid...