By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces its cloud TV service, called PlayStation Vue

How competitive could this possibly be? I get every cable channel(plus local sports channels, very important to me) for $50(including cable box). Basic cable is like $12 a month(80ish channels, all of which are mentioned in the press release). The bulk of my cable fees are for high speed internet.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
zumnupy10 said:

Sony could have a winner with this if they integrate PS+/PSNow into the service.  Having football channels in the packages would help too.

Not going to happen any time soon. The sports giants are dinosaurs holding onto cable. You cant get your local teams even if you buy the ____(every game) package because of  what is called blackout restrictions via digital. I like hockey and if I get the NHL gamecenter subscription I cannot get any of the 3 NY teams or the NJ team because of these rules(though I can get every other game not nationally telivised on cable) as my local cable channels play some of theses games.

I would definitely cancel cable if I could get my local NHL team streamed legally.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

walsufnir said:
Zones said:
walsufnir said:
Given the size of the competition Sony has to face I seriously doubt this will be a success. Especially limiting it to certain devices is not a good decision.

It's not limited to any certain device. The service is said to be available on pretty much all the major platforms and devices eventually.

Is it?

I can only find "When the actual service launches, consumers will be able to activate it by downloading an app on the PlayStation 4 or PS3 for a free trial. An iPad app is planned soon after the service launches, too." in your text which is limited. Perhaps I missed the mention of other devices.

But either way, there is too much competition for an additional service, in my opinion.

i dunno about that.  i have netflix already but i don't think of amazon prime and hulu as an option.   too much of the content is exactly the same on all services.   i'm interested in what HBO offers.  i'm also interested in what sony is going to offer.  if they can get a drastically different selection of content than netflix at that "competitive price"  than i'll probably subscribe.  i'm looking for 1 more service to compliment netflix but just hate the current market offering.

eFKac said:
How do you pronounce it and why it won't be available in Poland (most likely?

might be must me but i'm pronouning it as "view".

One more service to launch on US where they have several similar services and leaving EU dry as a bone with no services like this at all... COOL.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
walsufnir said:
Zones said:
walsufnir said:
Given the size of the competition Sony has to face I seriously doubt this will be a success. Especially limiting it to certain devices is not a good decision.

It's not limited to any certain device. The service is said to be available on pretty much all the major platforms and devices eventually.

Is it?

I can only find "When the actual service launches, consumers will be able to activate it by downloading an app on the PlayStation 4 or PS3 for a free trial. An iPad app is planned soon after the service launches, too." in your text which is limited. Perhaps I missed the mention of other devices.

But either way, there is too much competition for an additional service, in my opinion.

i dunno about that.  i have netflix already but i don't think of amazon prime and hulu as an option.   too much of the content is exactly the same on all services.   i'm interested in what HBO offers.  i'm also interested in what sony is going to offer.  if they can get a drastically different selection of content than netflix at that "competitive price"  than i'll probably subscribe.  i'm looking for 1 more service to compliment netflix but just hate the current market offering.

Well, it looks Sony has a chance to get you into this service :)

But the whole service seems to be only targetting US right now. Nowhere is this going to work like that in Germany. Or any other country, I assume. TV rights and marketing and such is different for almost every country in the world, with different licensing and fees.

This is the reason why Netflix just started in Germany and didn't several years ago. You have to look at every country and make deals with the ones who own the content.

Either way, if Sony wants to succeed with this, they have to open it and bring it to as many devices as imaginable.

I literally only watch like 4 channels. If this has all 4 and is much cheaper than DirectTV, sign me up!

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

walsufnir said:
kitler53 said:

Well, it looks Sony has a chance to get you into this service :)

But the whole service seems to be only targetting US right now. Nowhere is this going to work like that in Germany. Or any other country, I assume. TV rights and marketing and such is different for almost every country in the world, with different licensing and fees.

This is the reason why Netflix just started in Germany and didn't several years ago. You have to look at every country and make deals with the ones who own the content.

Either way, if Sony wants to succeed with this, they have to open it and bring it to as many devices as imaginable.

maybe this is the service for me.   as of this moment i think hbo is in the lead because their content is soo good but we'll see. sony's service is likely to have more content.  my wife likes movies (while i prefer tv) so if sony get's their movie studio content on there too that would probably be a deciding factor since my wife wears the pants.

you're probably right about the us focus at least for now.  i remember when i was in peru i tried to fire up netflix and for whatever reason it let me conect but it didn't conect to the us netflix.   it had some good content but it was a very small service compared to the us.

i agree, the service needs to support more than playstation devices but it seems as good as any place to start.  maybe it will sell a few consoles.  probably not but like with psnow it doesn't seem like sony wants to wait for a "full release" but rather roll their service out as soon as they can on whatever device they can.

Captain_Tom said:
Isn't it funny that PS4 is gonna beat X1 at its own game. First the camera is more popular, and now it will be a better media box.

First hardcore, then you go with media, and then you pull in the casuals. That's the order you do it in people!

The only funny part I find here is that people seem to like this stuff on Playstation (and why not) but on the internet everyone was like "I would never want to pay for a cam or TVTVTV" (which has nothing to do with what the guy who responded first in this thread said, it was a general refusal of anything which was not gaming)

So many want to use it and I doubt that all of those who said they wouldn't really won't.

And before you try to tell it to me, yes I know that there is a difference between selling it to everyone or giving people options. Doesn't change that pretty much everyone was like "I would never use this or that" and now you see how at least some people lied.

cpg716 said:
walsufnir said:
Zones said:
walsufnir said:

Is it?

Yes.. Because.. the whole quote from the press release is:

"The service will also become available on iPad® shortly thereafter, and later on more Sony and non-Sony devices."

I am confused on how there is "too much competition" for this service.. There is ZERO competition. Sony would be the FIRST to get an Internet Cable service up and running. Intel, Verizon, Dish, etc.. have all tried and or are trying to .. But NO one else has fully announced or released anything. This is the future of TV.. This is the COMPETITION for CABLE.. This is for CORD CUTTERS.. I am confused on what you think this is.. this is not Netflix or Hulu, or anything like those..

exactly, unlike other such services this is real live streaming over the internet TV!

with no cable box needed! you would be able to take your cable tv anywhere as long as you have internet access! the fact that its been sought after for so long by other such companies and Sony being the only one to get such a deal is pretty shocking. this is not like prerecorded only , this is realtime live network tv over the internet by big stations.

the fact is if you look at over the air tv, and look at like classic tv digital tv stations reg. TV sony has quite the archive of old Classic TV shows in its coffers, as a matter of fact many are not just only on one channel here and there. they are pretty much across all of them.

by adding a over the internet TV cable streaming to a cheap console or existing console it will bolster the viewership as long as the price for subscription is cheap enough.

This is not like netflix people

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.