By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces its cloud TV service, called PlayStation Vue

I think the people complaining about the name are just looking for something to complain about. The name is a pun and thats obvious to see. Vue = View.

As for the service, I think for this to work the pricing will be really really important. Sony should consider that anyone that is using this service is ALSO paying for their internet. Cause this service will not work without that added cost.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Well, thats a pretty weird concept then cause the "TV" experience is pretty shitty loll. TV is basically filled with shows and channels that no one cares about apart from some (which most are avaliable on netflix anyway) and it has ads up the ass... I don't get the point of having "TV" over the internet when something like Netflix or HBOGo and etc is a far better experience

Here in Australia us with good internet replace the words netflix and HBO Go with stuff like Pirate Bay =P
Its cheaper and will run at 1080 without lag and buffering up the ass.

Those without have no choice but to deal with free TV or Foxtel, pay TV... which is still ass tbh, may as well get good internet and Pirate Bay =P

Intrinsic said:
As for the service, I think for this to work the pricing will be really really important. Sony should consider that anyone that is using this service is ALSO paying for their internet. Cause this service will not work without that added cost.

The main thing this will have going for it is Sony TV programmes and films, the latter especially. Pricing is going to be hard, Sky offer all those TV channels and more, some on demand stuff, internet as well for like £40 a month. If someone is already paying for the internet, this service can't be more than £20 really.

Eitherway, just another service I won't sign up for.

Hmm, pie.

PSV? That's a cool sounding name. Why hasn't Sony ever used it before?

I have several online streaming services open to me right now, Sony will have to be very competetive and comprehensive for me to sign up for this instead of the other services I have. And New Zealand International Sports events would be a priority for me. Fortunately that's Sky Sport not ESPN so there's a chance, but not a very big chance.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
The Fury said:

The main thing this will have going for it is Sony TV programmes and films, the latter especially. Pricing is going to be hard, Sky offer all those TV channels and more, some on demand stuff, internet as well for like £40 a month. If someone is already paying for the internet, this service can't be more than £20 really.

Eitherway, just another service I won't sign up for.

Exactly. As good a service as this may seem to be (especially if sony gets the prcing right and the content) the problem with this is that a lot of people are already tied to some sort of subscription already. Especially those that get their internet from their Tv company too.

Sony has to really be mindful of wht the "REAL" cost of this service is. You can't have this service without internet, and to be fair to sony you already probably have interent at home already but it still stands. I don't really know how this service is gonna work. Especially considering its pricing. Its ad supported, I would have suggested that they make it a $50/year PS+ app. So basically you only get access to it if you are already on PS+ and you pay $50/yr for it and just try and make their money from ads. But I doubt the content providers will let sony do that.

Zones said:
Ali_16x said:

Can't wait for all the comments that say "Oh look how all the PlayStation fans called the Xbox One a cable box and TV TV TV TV".
It's not even close to being the same thing because Sony didn't focus TV for its reveal or its ads. I'm already seeing some comments like this on Neogaf.

You are indeed correct. Though I believe it mostly stems from the fact that most people read the headline and comment something along that line in order to appear smart and funny.

Anyway, this service has been in the making since the Howard Stringer days, and in fact, Sony revealed it officially back at CES of this year. The cool thing about this service is that it's not reliant on anything on PlayStation 4 itself as it's entirely a cloud service. Whereas Microsoft's approach was rather backward in that it needed Xbox One specifically and an actual cable box for it to function. So these two services are worlds apart, and I am well certain that Sony's approach has far bigger potential.

Though I do have issue with them putting the "PayStation" moniker into it. "Vue" by itself has a bigger potential for the service to become more mainstream on other devices such as iOS, third-party SmartTVs, etc. But Sony seems to be in the habit of putting PlayStation into every new service or device they are launching nowadays.

Well, it certainly didn't make PlayStation TV even remotely successful.

It's their only successful brand nowadays. They literraly just had to pu this in the name of their new console for it to sell.

Awesome news. TV is the new killer app this gen. M$ has given up on their own TV service, while Sony sees value in it. What a bunch of smart bitches. I love TV! If Sony can make a PlayStation Vue app for Xbone, that would be like TV heaven. Watch TV on HDMI in and then snap the Vue TV app. I wouldn't be able to contain myself. Make it happen Sony. Show M$ how to do TV right!

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Sony really needs all the players on board for this to be even remotely successful.

Zones said:
walsufnir said:
Zones said:
walsufnir said:
Given the size of the competition Sony has to face I seriously doubt this will be a success. Especially limiting it to certain devices is not a good decision.

It's not limited to any certain device. The service is said to be available on pretty much all the major platforms and devices eventually.

Is it?

I can only find "When the actual service launches, consumers will be able to activate it by downloading an app on the PlayStation 4 or PS3 for a free trial. An iPad app is planned soon after the service launches, too." in your text which is limited. Perhaps I missed the mention of other devices.

But either way, there is too much competition for an additional service, in my opinion.

That's why I said eventually.

I am sure that around CES Andrew House mentioned that they are not planning to limit the service to their own devices. So this service should eventually arrive on iOS, Android, Windows, and probably Smart TVs. 

Your last point is fair, but Sony can and should leverage their already connected PlayStation devices around the world to outperform the competitors. You know, no other company has the luxury of possibly 100 million devices (PS3 & PS4) connected directly to the TV with their cloud service immediately enabled.

They really do have an advantage in there, and I believe that's why they have lumped the "PlayStation" brand with their new service.

Well, the service is US limited as it seems so there is no 100 million devices with PS3 and PS4. And it is even less if you are counting the active userbase for both systems.

I am skeptical in general because Sony has a tradition to tie their inventions to their systems which is legit but stops some services of becoming more successful.

This includes

- PSP UMDs

- PSV sd-cards with other housing

- Memory-Stick

- PSNow

- Remote play

just to name a few. I can understand that they are trying to push their sales by this but by now it just didn't work for any of the "inventions" I listed above.