By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: 'What can games learn from film? Nothing'

Of course his comment makes sense. The point of games is to be an interactive form of art and media. If the game does the story REALLY well (Last of Us), then we can be more lenient on it.

Games like Halo, Metroid, Infamous, Fire Emblem, Sunset Overdrive, GTA, and the Darksoul series are so well known and loved because they can draw people in with fantastic visuals and gameplay, while also providing an interesting story in the background. It blends them perfectly.

Compared to games like Call of Duty, Mario, Battlefield, and slowly Assassin's Creed. These games are beginning to focus more on visuals or cinematic experiences that they lose out on the gameplay side (COD becoming repetitive, Mario more or less staying the same, AC losing framerates left and right.)

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
KLAMarine said:
Teeqoz said:
Man, Miyamoto's arrogance continues to amaze me.

What of it was arrogant?

"What the other companies are doing makes business sense,” he says. “But it’s boring. The same games appear on every system."

Firstly I would encourage anyone who hasn't to actually read the full article, context is a wonderful thing.  Secondly people have to remember that these comments are all translated and no matter how good the translator, Asian languages are often very hard to translate well into English, subtlety is frequently a casualty.  Add to this the paraphrasing that occurs throughout the article and you have a recipe for miscontrued information.  For example the 'quote' that makes up the both title of this thread and the original article is actually nowhere to be found in the body of the article because that's not how he actually answered the question. He actually answered that question with:

“When you play a game, one moment you’re just controlling it and then suddenly you feel you’re in its world,” he says. “And that’s something you cannot experience through film or literature. It’s a completely unique experience.”

As for the 'boring' quote, look at things from his perspective, he is a game designer, a creative person.  Why on earth would he want to make games like other people/companies, it would completely go against his very reason for being.  He's not saying those games are boring but to make games that fit the current, popular mold would be boring for him. 

Ask any one of the hundreds of game developers working on Assassin's Creed the same question and I think you would get a similar response.  Given the opportunity and choice do you suppose they would they rather work on another story-driven 'opus' or would they like to carve out a unique experience in their own vision?  I think I know what the majority would chose.

Mummelmann said:
zorg1000 said:
Mummelmann said:
I wonder what Miyamoto can learn from his past mistakes. Also; given his recent statement on how they're going to focus on spin-off's and such, I find it funny that he of all people berates others for lack of variation and being boring. Miyamoto is allergic to taking risks and stepping outside of his (albeit impressive) safe zone.

This reminds me of the UNITY thread, where certain people saw the industry heading in only two possible directions, one being Nintendo's direction and the other being Hollywood. It is my personal belief that neither direction is terribly exciting or healthy for the industry as a whole on the long run.

What mistakes are you talking about?

The fact that they were caught completely off guard by extended development cycles and ended up with several droughts, making niche titles to encourage hardware sales, being way too late in getting Indies on board, focusing too little on online in games, relying on the same franchises that failed to do much for the Gamecube, to name a few.

Who is they? Are you talking about Nintendo as a whole now? This thread and ur previous post were about Miyamoto specifically.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

hsrob said:
Teeqoz said:
KLAMarine said:
Teeqoz said:
Man, Miyamoto's arrogance continues to amaze me.

What of it was arrogant?

"What the other companies are doing makes business sense,” he says. “But it’s boring. The same games appear on every system."

Firstly I would encourage anyone who hasn't to actually read the full article, context is a wonderful thing.  Secondly people have to remember that these comments are all translated and no matter how good the translator, Asian languages are often very hard to translate well into English, subtlety is frequently a casualty.  Add to this the paraphrasing that occurs throughout the article and you have a recipe for miscontrued information.  For example the 'quote' that makes up the both title of this thread and the original article is actually nowhere to be found in the body of the article because that's not how he actually answered the question. He actually answered that question with:

“When you play a game, one moment you’re just controlling it and then suddenly you feel you’re in its world,” he says. “And that’s something you cannot experience through film or literature. It’s a completely unique experience.”

As for the 'boring' quote, look at things from his perspective, he is a game designer, a creative person.  Why on earth would he want to make games like other people/companies, it would completely go against his very reason for being.  He's not saying those games are boring but to make games that fit the current, popular mold would be boring for him. 

Ask any one of the hundreds of game developers working on Assassin's Creed the same question and I think you would get a similar response.  Given the opportunity and choice do you suppose they would they rather work on another story-driven 'opus' or would they like to carve out a unique experience in their own vision?  I think I know what the majority would chose.

I pretty much agree with the man. I wish games would stop trying to be 'cinematic'. It takes you out of the experience.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Arrogant and closed minded.

Imagine a world where games never had a story, well developed characters , only gameplay ... what a boring medium

Why do you say this?

KLAMarine said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Imagine a world where games never had a story, well developed characters , only gameplay ... what a boring medium

Why do you say this?

I guess he prefers to introduce himself before he makes a statement.

Something good about Miyamoto is that he doesn't think videogames are a lesser art that should be like films or literature. He has no inferiority complex regarding videogames.
Films and literature arent what videogames shouls strive for.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
KLAMarine said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Why do you say this?

I guess he prefers to introduce himself before he makes a statement.

I ask because I think some people in this thread have read the title of the article and the title of the thread but not the actual article itself. If one does so, they would find that Miyamoto did NOT say "games have nothing to learn from film".

KLAMarine said:

I ask because I think some people in this thread have read the title of the article and the title of the thread but not the actual article itself. If one does so, they would find that Miyamoto did NOT say "games have nothing to learn from film".

Yeah, the thread title was designed to incite a Nintendo haters convention.