By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AC Unity has major framerate issues

Mummelmann said:

I have played STALKER, all three of the mainline games on high difficulty and with a bunch of mods such as realistic weapons and realistic encumbrance etc. Fantastic experience! My point still stands though; this is the exception to the rule, games in general still have very poor AI and difficulty is often increased by aim cheats or resource cheats, massive damage increase/decrease for enemies/heroes and unfair, cowardly script tricks (elevator scene in the first F.E.A.R is a perfect example), there really isn't much in the way of actual thinking and improvised strategy going on.

Yeah, just wanted to make sure Stalker and ARMA get their due.  Say what you will about PC gaming, those two are among the best experiences, ever.  Across any platform.  Stalker's AI and physics are so serious, it's one of the very, very few games you really should not start on normal difficulty.  Easy on the first playthrough, anything more is almost certain death for the first aggressive thing you come across.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
Mummelmann said:

I have played STALKER, all three of the mainline games on high difficulty and with a bunch of mods such as realistic weapons and realistic encumbrance etc. Fantastic experience! My point still stands though; this is the exception to the rule, games in general still have very poor AI and difficulty is often increased by aim cheats or resource cheats, massive damage increase/decrease for enemies/heroes and unfair, cowardly script tricks (elevator scene in the first F.E.A.R is a perfect example), there really isn't much in the way of actual thinking and improvised strategy going on.

Yeah, just wanted to make sure Stalker and ARMA get their due.  Say what you will about PC gaming, those two are among the best experiences, ever.  Across any platform.  Stalker's AI and physics are so serious, it's one of the very, very few games you really should not start on normal difficulty.  Easy on the first playthrough, anything more is almost certain death for the first aggressive thing you come across.

Indeed, with realistic weapons mod, the very first group of bandits on the crumbling farm are deadly with their shoddy 9mm's and sawed-off shotguns. And the atmosphere is top notch as well, the only FPS games that come close in that department (for me) are Bioshock, Half-Life 2 the Deus Ex series.

Mummelmann said:

Indeed, with realistic weapons mod, the very first group of bandits on the crumbling farm are deadly with their shoddy 9mm's and sawed-off shotguns. And the atmosphere is top notch as well, the only FPS games that come close in that department (for me) are Bioshock, Half-Life 2 the Deus Ex series.

Or god forbid the first mob you come across is a roving horde of mutated animals lol.  And figuring out why you just failed a quest can be fun (backtracking to the place you got it, to find it's been taken over by another faction, or mutants...awesome).

I sent the @AskPlaystation twitter a message about the Stalker Lost Alpha mod/standalone.  I really, really wish console players could get a taste of that game.  So amazing.  And that AI...  love knowing that it's actually dumbed down in the game, when it was first made, the NPC's would head directly for the end of the game and beat it before you got there lol.

Rab said:
Why are people blaming Ubi for Sony's poor hardware?

This has nothing to do with the hardware; this is Crytek all over again and the game is simply horribly optimized. Have you seen the requirements for the PC version? The recommended GPU's are R290 and GTX780; two cards at the very top of today's line (before GTX 980 came, the R290 was likely the best single-core GPU on the global market). Ubisoft are quite simply not good at optimizing their games, I've had the same trouble with all the AC games, both on PC and PS3. Same with Far Cry 3, which is also Ubisoft's doing.

It is also ridiculous for any developer to cite lack of hardware power at the very beginning of a console hardware cycle; this is lazy work, pure and simple.

Rab said:
Why are people blaming Ubi for Sony's poor hardware?

That's funny...or are you being serious?

All game engines on new gen hardware, start off poorly optimized, Ubisoft is just the best at making poorly optimized games.  It's a common issue with devs who spend the vast majority of their time working on static hardware, plus, the GPGPU functionality is barely (if at all) being touched by devs right now, which is where the PS4 truly shines.

Around the Network

All of this emphasis on framerate has me so annoyed with video game community. -_-

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
All of this emphasis on framerate has me so annoyed with video game community. -_-

Yeah, because terribly missing a 30fps framerate at 900p, is a huge thing to ask.  Come on.  Have people really lowered their standards so much?  This isn't about being pissed that they didn't hit 4K @60fps.  This is 900p@30fps they're failing at, and by the looks of things, failing pretty spectacularly at. 

I wonder which game runs better.
Sonic Boom or AC Unity...

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

jlmurph2 said:
Nem said:
ethomaz said:

There is a thread here saying framerate drops add to the games... more cinematic.

lol

This. 

Its more cinematic with sub 30 fps guys. We should all rejoice that our games now run just like movies. 

Ah... Ubisoft. I'm starting to just laugh at the mention.

Lol its like the slow motion scenes. Makes it more "epic"

Maybe they intentionally made it 24fps,so that you can feel like you are watching a movie instead of playing a game ;)

Burek said:

I am so glad AC3 sucked and I gave up on this series...

But now I am very scared for next week and Far Cry. It is my most anticipated game if the year, and if they screw it up I'll be very very upset. I might even use foul language in a public area...

buy black flag for cheap. it's the best AC after AC2 so it's well worth it and cheap too. I'm not buying unity anyway. Only finished the Black Flag dlc today and i'll likely get rogue next when it comes to ps4 next year. i'll get a loan off unity from a friend in prob like a year. 

OT: How the fuck have Ubi fucked up so much this year. All they have to do now is fuck up Far Cry and it's a home run. Come on Ubi you can do it!