By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Nintendo aims to create game ideas “that could have never happened before”, no news about VR yet

huiii said:
i don't see how the wiiu did anything different....

A controller with a screen on it?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
huiii said:

A controller with a screen on it?

The first with proper Indie support? Sony made final adjustments after Nintendos approach, Microsoft followed after shitstorms. They made Bayonetta 2 possible. That is not bussiness related in sense of EA, Ubisoft and others, as the original didn't generate much money. Same for Devils Third, without Nintendo it wouldn't be here.

With Splatoon, Project*, Captain Toad, Pikmin and others Nintendo shows well, that they can bring other ideas to live. Ideas others would never have released or even developed them. Except Indies, they don't care, they do what they like, not what analysts want. And for me Nintendo feels like the biggest Indie. They are just like that. Throwing gimmicky hardware extras at us (Wiimote, GamePad, BalanceBoard), fresh ideas (the above), suprise 2nd Parties (Platinum, Monolith, Level-5, Intelligent Systems).

For me this is much better than what Sony and MS do. But people in the West are craving for FPS and Soccer. I don't actually get it, but I don't have to. I mean, nothing against FPS, if it's a good one, but we are primarly talking about annual releases with only incremental improvements. Not to mention FiFa, there is for example the HSV in Germanys 1st league. They never went down into the 2nd league since ever. Still even those players that are there for years only have generic faces. Not that I care about HSV (I'm from Nürnberg*, not Hamburg), but you'd expect more in a major soccer league after 10+ years of 3D FiFa, especially for annually 60 €. That's almost like an yearly subscription if you ask me.

Conclusion: what does Nintendo do better: many things, especially when it comes to experiments and unusual stuff. Sometimes successful (Wii), sometimes not so much (Wii U). Kicking EA's ass for not allowing Nintendo-Servers run on Origin, so that they can't spy on Wii-U-Users. What does Nintendo do worse: attracting 3rd Party (other than NSeA). Gobal same-day releases. Development time is tooooooooooo lllllllllllllllloooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggg - that creates bottle necks in terms of months of no games.

*I refuse to use the english "Nuremberg" that pronounciation hurts my ears.

NNID: setialpha

I'm calling Mario dog suits, that has never been done before right? and you will be able to wiggle the tail using the innovative screen on the controller

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the time of the Wii I thought this philosophy was great. New ways to play meant deeper experiences. Then Nintendo ran out of new ways that anyone cared about and the games started to suck. Now I would give anything for a Nintendo system that isn't weighed down by some less-than-worthwhile feature and some regular old games that are just plain good without all that other stuff.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

@chapset Luckily others don't recycle their top IP. Damn you, Nintendo.

NNID: setialpha

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
There you have it, folks. The reason why the Wii U exists confirmed by Miyamoto himself: "Business sense be damned, let me make the games I want to make."

Malstrom will have a field day with his statement.

Awesome! But I do want to see more results but games like splatoon is an awesome start

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

huiii said:

No other console on the market has a useless screen slapped onto it. That's unique.

OT: Simply put, I'm excited for an announcement on this. If they can get anywhere near to a type of blue-ocean strategy again then there's hope.

How about some balance, Mi?

The wii was a great step.. But they fell behind.. You can't say what the ps4 is doing with share play, ps now, and remote play isn't taking steps towards the future..... Nintendo is playing catch up

mM