By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 10-year-old girl defeats several top West Coast players at Smash Bros. Wii U GameStop event

Skidonti said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I've faced people who were great at brawl and they got their asses handed to them once they touched actual fighters.

Well, that's hardly surprising. You're good at what you practice at. You could probably take players who are great at Killer Instinct and have them get beaten by other people who have spent more time playing King of Fighters but I don't think that proves anything.

SSB just plays INCREDIBLY differently. Stages are different, movement is different, the goal is different.

KOF and Killer Instinct aren't that far apart in style so the learning curve isnt that far off for people who are moderate to serious fighters. I understand your point though. Knowing one over the other gives one player the edge in their game of choice.

SSB isn't a fighter at all, but the next step up for a Brawl player is DOA once they get into fighters. Surviving the environment and simpler combo strings it a big thing with DOA. As one said its easy to access but tough to master. Can't wait to get my Wii U so I can show you what I mean once I learn the new mechanics.

So you're saying that if a fighter who had learn more complex mechanics and learned how to read opponents in tighter environments was given a more massive amount of space and more room to jump around him that he'd probably be at a loss? I mean also save that he understand blocking, parry and attack mechanics on a higher level? Man. This makes me want to get smash right now because it sounds like it will just be pure fun.

That little girl is a beast though. I guess its selfish of me to wish she would learn some Blaz Blue or Guilty Gear. Her block and parry reflexes would be on fire. 

Around the Network
JazzB1987 said:
The_Sony_Girl1 said:
That should demolish the myth of kids not being hardcore.

never heard of that before tbh.

Nintendo produces accessible hardcore games. (easy to understand hard to master)

Tetris(not Nintendo I know) is a hardcore game Mario also is Smash is MK is etc.

And according the 90% of  humans Nintendo is a kid company therefore kids = hardcore.

Anyway what I want to know is this:

How is she so good? When Brawl came out she was like 5 or so. Melee came out before she was born the 3DS game is not the best way to learn smash (different controls, multiplayer is online only etc etc)

How can a 10 year old beat people that played smash for decades?

#Prophecy

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Skidonti said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The difference between a fighting game like KI and Smash bros is that KI is incredibly technical to the point it takes players 100s and 1000s of hours to master one character.  Smash Bros is easily accessible so once you learn one character you pretty much get the gist of them all.  Of course some characters are better than others, hands down, and yes there is strategies but arent as complex as other fighters.  Good game though and pro players are obviosly great at the game.  Pretty impressive little girl.  Hope she goes somewhere with it

JayWood2010 said:
Skidonti said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The difference between a fighting game like KI and Smash bros is that KI is incredibly technical to the point it takes players 100s and 1000s of hours to master one character.  Smash Bros is easily accessible so once you learn one character you pretty much get the gist of them all.  Of course some characters are better than others, hands down, and yes there is strategies but arent as complex as other fighters.

Yes, I'm quite familiar with this.

Skidonti said:
JayWood2010 said:

Yes, I'm quite familiar with this.

What Im trying to say is, that people who understand fighting games can prob at least compete in a game like Smash Bros.  While certainly not as good as pros, they would be able to compete to some extent and prob learn relatively fast.  I dont think a player that exclusively plays smash could do the same if they switched over to a game like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, or Killer Instinct.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Skidonti said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The difference between a fighting game like KI and Smash bros is that KI is incredibly technical to the point it takes players 100s and 1000s of hours to master one character.  Smash Bros is easily accessible so once you learn one character you pretty much get the gist of them all.  Of course some characters are better than others, hands down, and yes there is strategies but arent as complex as other fighters.  Good game though and pro players are obviosly great at the game.  Pretty impressive little girl.  Hope she goes somewhere with it

Yes, i'll never get those hours back, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Can't wait to play Smash though. :)

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yes, i'll never get those hours back, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Can't wait to play Smash though. :)

Smash 3DS is pretty good.  I prob wont get the WiiU version though.  It doesnt have an online ranking system which really turned me off as i think it should be a standard in any fighting game.  Maybe they will add that to the WiiU version though

JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Smash 3DS is pretty good.  I prob wont get the WiiU version though.  It doesnt have an online ranking system which really turned me off as i think it should be a standard in any fighting game.  Maybe they will add that to the WiiU version though

Since Nintendo is trying to start adding dlc and other things like their competition I think patches will come into the mix for Smash. Only time will tell, but here is hoping. Nintendo knows Smash has a competitive following and to omit that from the new game would be a terrible mistake.

http://karissabannister.com/

cheshirescat said:

http://karissabannister.com/

I guess we don't have to worry about her only having skills in video games now.