By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's Xbox One Is Looking Like A Lost Cause

Azzanation said:

I find it funny that a entertainment business that is designed to entertain us, and all people care about is which one outsells each other. Should I care which balloons I should buy at a milk bar because its for my personal use, knowing which ones sell well really makes the difference. All consoles have there ups and downs and one will have better years then others, honestly why has it grown into a debate that turns entertainment into school yard punch ups. Iv said this many times on forums, that my favourite consoles ever made were the N64 and GameCube, which all sold incredibly low compared to its competition and I owned the competition aswell.

Just like 1080p and 60 frames, Console Sales have turned gaming into a dark unentertaining industry. I would hate to go to school these days and owning a console that is selling far less then the opposition because people take it way to far. Greater sales don't lead to greater games, or future DLCs or 3rd party games. Money makes all that happen which is why we are seeing a console which is selling the least but has more AAA games releasing plus future 3rd party timed exclusives aswell. Sales didn't make that happen, deep pockets do.

What are you talking about? Console wars have always been like this. I remember owning a Megadrive (Genesis if you're North American) and going to school with me and my friends poking fun at the one or two guys who owned a SNES. I was on the receiving end of that "fun poking" when I bought a Saturn instead of a Playstation.

It's not the industry that's changed (although there are more people into gaming these days), it's the way that we interact with one another. The internet allows speed of light communication with anyone anywhere in the world. Instead of debating which console is best between five or six of our school friends in the playground as we did in the Sega/Nintendo days, we're discussing it with hundreds, maybe even thousands of people who hide behind avatars and think that gives them the right to be a smart ass or unnecessarily nasty to someone who has bought a different gaming platform to themselves.

It's the internets fault, not the gaming industy's.

Around the Network
askel50 said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:
Xbox isn't doomed but Sony and Microsoft have clearly reverted back to the ps2 era where Sony was on top and Xbox was the underdog.

And I actually prefer Microsoft this way, I remember the original Xbox had a ton of awesome original games and hope this makes Microsoft go back to what made them so amazing in the first place.

Not quite. The PS2 had all major 3rd party games as exclusive titles, that is what made the difference and nowadays isn't going to happen because the context is different. Also the PS4 isn't going to obtain the same marketshare as the PS2. They could even lose US leadership after this holiday season.

If that doesn't happen this holiday on home turf, I guess then there's something to worry. But when worldwide numbers are taken into account it could be none the less massive for PS4 during holidays.

vivster said:
But that other thread just said that the PS4 is doomed.
The press should finally make up its mind.

So what to believe what to believe.  Oh wait, PS4 has more then twice the user base of XOne after only 11 months, and MS is forced to make price cut after price cut and free games into bundle...what to believe what to believe... very difficult...

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

wildmorgan said:
Azzanation said:

I find it funny that a entertainment business that is designed to entertain us, and all people care about is which one outsells each other. Should I care which balloons I should buy at a milk bar because its for my personal use, knowing which ones sell well really makes the difference. All consoles have there ups and downs and one will have better years then others, honestly why has it grown into a debate that turns entertainment into school yard punch ups. Iv said this many times on forums, that my favourite consoles ever made were the N64 and GameCube, which all sold incredibly low compared to its competition and I owned the competition aswell.

Just like 1080p and 60 frames, Console Sales have turned gaming into a dark unentertaining industry. I would hate to go to school these days and owning a console that is selling far less then the opposition because people take it way to far. Greater sales don't lead to greater games, or future DLCs or 3rd party games. Money makes all that happen which is why we are seeing a console which is selling the least but has more AAA games releasing plus future 3rd party timed exclusives aswell. Sales didn't make that happen, deep pockets do.

What are you talking about? Console wars have always been like this. I remember owning a Megadrive (Genesis if you're North American) and going to school with me and my friends poking fun at the one or two guys who owned a SNES. I was on the receiving end of that "fun poking" when I bought a Saturn instead of a Playstation.

It's not the industry that's changed (although there are more people into gaming these days), it's the way that we interact with one another. The internet allows speed of light communication with anyone anywhere in the world. Instead of debating which console is best between five or six of our school friends in the playground as we did in the Sega/Nintendo days, we're discussing it with hundreds, maybe even thousands of people who hide behind avatars and think that gives them the right to be a smart ass or unnecessarily nasty to someone who has bought a different gaming platform to themselves.

Thats the difference. Back in the 80s and 90s, gamers use to compare games not Sales. These days it doesnt matter about the games anymore, only hardware numbers. Nintendo and Sega days was all about franchise vs franchise. All i hear today is 13 mills vs 6 mill... its so stupid

Azzanation said:
wildmorgan said:
Azzanation said:

Thats the difference. Back in the 80s and 90s, gamers use to compare games not Sales. These days it doesnt matter about the games anymore, only hardware numbers. Nintendo and Sega days was all about franchise vs franchise. All i hear today is 13 mills vs 6 mill... its so stupid

Many members here only care about Metacritic and Sales.  It's very sad if you ask me. 

But the most sad thing is to see fans of Company X who post many Threads about :'' console Y beasting for 2 days'' just because they accumulated so much stress seeing the Competitor killing in sales their beloved console so they start to dirty these forums with silly Threads just to free their accumulated stress...

Of course sales are important for Companies, but more important is the profit and the Game experience.  The big Companies should think about Sales, profit and game experience, gamers should mostly focus on game experience, otherwise you may think that most here don't even play videogames, being just zealots talking sales on forums.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
I'm willing to wait until after the 2014 holiday season to make any sort of calls on where the XBO stands, based upon the drastic incentives MS has taken to reverse its sales performance, but it is difficult to refute where things currently stand.

This.

kowenicki said:
RolStoppable said:
kowenicki said:

and the incorrect use of incorrect information....

Which is?

frankly.... I cant be arsed. Its boring and pointless.

lol, I agree with rol for once. The article itself has solid reasoning. The title of the thread is hyperbolic crap though.

Globally, yes I think lost cause sums it up reasonably well. But if it can compete in the USA it will salvage something out of the generation, and could potentially be a foundation for a better global performance by the Xbox One 2.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

lost cause
noun
noun: lost cause; plural noun: lost causes

a person or thing that can no longer hope to succeed or be changed for the better.

synonyms:hopeless, beyond hope, futile, forlorn, failed, beyond remedy, beyond recovery

Nate4Drake said:

But the most sad thing is to see fans of Company X who post many Threads about :'' console Y beasting for 2 days'' just because they accumulated so much stress seeing the Competitor killing in sales their beloved console so they start to dirty these forums with silly Threads just to free their accumulated stress...

Right, as opposed to the loads of threads we saw daily here about PS4 sales. I guess those people were sad and just releasing stress from 7th gen or something equally silly? Oh wait you were one of the people posting in those threads. So I guess you speak from experience. My bad.