By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Call of Duty beats Grand Theft Auto and Super Mario Bros. to be named best ever video game series by Guinness World Records

Sooo... it's the end of the world. YAY!

Around the Network

I'm more WTFing at Just Dance being on that list. Might as well really be a modern decade poll only.

naruball said:
Teeqoz said:

First of all I highly doubt many of these alleged "gamers" play anything more than a few specific games (ie, someone might just play Angry Birds and Just Dance, therefore they are they're favourite games, because they don't play anything else.) Second of all, I'm not critisising the list because it differs from my opinion, I'm critisising the list because it's here presented as a fact. They pretty much say "these are the best games ever". 

But yes, I also highly disagree with Just Dance even appearing on the list, not to mention Angry Birds! Enjoyed by most people (aka popular)=/=best.

It is by no means presented as a fact. It's a "here's what 5000 people voted as the the best franchises/games ever" kind of survey and nothing more. They didn't try to hide it.

We have no idea who voted for these games. As one of the users here (Lewis something) once said, someone's mom can be considered a hardcoere gamer if she plays a game like tetris constantly and passionately. As someone who has played Just Dance and a few thousand other games, I can tell you that it's one of the most fun times I've had playing a game with friends. I wouldn't vote for it as the best ever, but if someone did, I'd have no problem with that.

And it's not just casuals who play these games. People who play video game but don't spend time on forum are as just as much gamers as we are. The difference is that they don't express their opinions online like we do. That gives the false impression that people don't find games like COD, Fifa, and to some extent Minecraft fun. I'm not saying that sales = quality. I'm saying that this list is fine for what it is. It not based on quality or on a reviewer's opnion, but on the public considers as the best. For them best = a game they have fun playing, hence the list being based mostly on popularity.

Also, out of curiosity, have you actually played Just Dance?  

Call of Duty beats Grand Theft Auto and Super Mario Bros. to be named best ever video game series by Guinness World Records

That seems like "fact" to me. And the title of this thread is taken straight from the article. I have no doubt that people find CoD, FIFA and Minecraft fun. I find them fun as well (well, not FIFA, but CoD and MC). I've enjoyed Just Dance as well, it's really fun at parties, and my girlfriend likes to play it as well. I would however not rank it close to my top 50 videogames of all time (I do have both MC and a CoD in my top 50 though).

My point was that if you've only played one single game, than that is necesarily the best game you've played. You know cause then you've only played that one game.

Kingdom hearts is not 21.. And banjo kazooie deserves a top 10 at least

mM

People talk about what consoles are doomed. But none of it is true.

It is WE who are doomed.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network

I bet if they had done this ten years ago guitar hero would have been number 1 by these poor fools standards.

vivster said:
Smear-Gel said:

Still, 5000 people seems pretty small for a question of this scope.

Think of the grand scope of the questions we have here on VGC. And we're having at most a few hundred votes, most of which are bots.

Yet we all love the polls.

But we arent putting our answers in world record books. Something about the poll for "best game ever" being asked by the actual guiness book of world records having such a small sample, despite being about every genre and platform seems like a bad idea.

Smear-Gel said:
vivster said:
Smear-Gel said:

Think of the grand scope of the questions we have here on VGC. And we're having at most a few hundred votes, most of which are bots.

But we arent putting our answers in world record books. Something about the poll for "best game ever" being asked by the actual guiness book of world records having such a small sample, despite being about every genre and platform seems like a bad idea.

I think you're giving that book a bit too much credit. It's not the Oxford Dictionary.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Smear-Gel said:
vivster said:
Smear-Gel said:

I think you're giving that book a bit too much credit. It's not the Oxford Dictionary.

Probably. Though I do think.the majority of records there are absolute, quantifiable things. Which makes this odd.

As usual the top 3 all casual games! Oh well casual gamers are in the majority so nothing to be done about it.