By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is this the generation of Zelda remakes?

David_Hernandeez said:
I am ok with remakes if the games is 10 years old, not like other games that are not even 1 year old.

This.

Around the Network

they should have made the oracles games in 3d too

Switch!!!

mZuzek said:
The Wind Waker was a somewhat useless one to be honest, since the original one held up so well, but I'm not complaining since it does look very beautiful and I like most of the changes - and it was just a quick side project as well, so yeah, a nice treat.

Every HD remake looks much better than the original. So I guess you wouldn't complain about any of them.

Yes, and thank god. Last gen was so dry of Zelda greatness.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

im kinda hoping for twilight princess hd on wii u cos i never completed that one and it would look amazing

Around the Network

They announced Majora's remake, didn't talk about the new zelda for wii u and got away with it lol.

But yes, it is. And that's not a bad at all. Now we can play our favorite Zelda games with better graphics and stuff.

I'm OK with it. I would rather see new Zelda games, but its clear Nintendo is having an identity crisis and needs Zelda to pull the company's weight.

I do think most of the remakes thusfar have been lazy. I don't believe in remaking a game just to slap HD on it. Any remake worth its salt should have a solid counter-argument to "I already own the game," either with new gameplay or content, and Nintendo has really been loathe to do that. Any time a veteran player picks up a remake they should get deja vu on the old game, not recreate the old experience verbatim.

Remakes of 10+ year old game = fine, no problem
Remakes of 1-2 year old games and/or just rereleasing on another platform = Milking = No interest in buying.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

mZuzek said:
Egann said:

I'm OK with it. I would rather see new Zelda games, but its clear Nintendo is having an identity crisis and needs Zelda to pull the company's weight.

I do think most of the remakes thusfar have been lazy. I don't believe in remaking a game just to slap HD on it. Any remake worth its salt should have a solid counter-argument to "I already own the game," either with new gameplay or content, and Nintendo has really been loathe to do that. Any time a veteran player picks up a remake they should get deja vu on the old game, not recreate the old experience verbatim.

I disagree. I think a remake should follow exactly what the original tried to be and only change things when it's really necessary (like sailing in TWW). If remakes are going to change the game anymore than that they might as well be new games altogether.

Yes, but in this instance that leads to two criticisms:

1. Half the Zelda games since Skyward Sword have been remakes. It's clear Nintendo is struggling with getting titles out the door, but with Zelda they're also having problems wrapping their heads around what to do with the series. They've basically had this problem since Twilight Princess, too. Faithful remakes of these games makes it feel like the glory days of the series are already over, not like there's a bright future to it.

2. A substantial part of your target market for these remakes already own these games in their original form. If they don't get new value from the game, they won't buy it. This is especially a problem for Nintendo, who has cultivated a following of gameplay of graphics in the last generation, so a cosmetic upgrade to HD really feels shallow.