By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the playstation TV a bust in the US?

Is the playstation TV a bust?

Yes 83 49.11%

No 35 20.71%

I like Turtles! 51 30.18%

Total:169
alabtrosMyster said:

I liked the idea of it at first, but given that it does not have any of the important streaming features (DLNA, many apps, etc.) I really don't see the point of it.... it's a streamer for Sony's music and movies services, which are not very poplar as far as I know...

and it's limited to 720p output, which makes it useless for good quality media content.

For the same price you can get an ouya or something else that has much more possibilites, even if it does not have the PS Vita games.

and everything I would expect it to do, I expect the PS4 will eventually.

Totally agree with this.  

I thought it could be successful as an AppleTV clone that can also play some Vita games, but since it lacks Netflix, YouTube and Hulu Plus, it doesn't have a chance.

Around the Network
ShyGuy322 said:

Lol...no, it's not sad for me. It's sad for Sony. I'm the consumer. They have to convince me to buy it, not vice versa.

you were interested in the product but the limited games killed the deal for you, so its sad that the games that you wanted werent supported by the PSTV, thats all im saying, no one is defending Sony Here, stop being so defensive.

Yeah I think it flopped.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

CladInShadows said:
ShyGuy322 said:

Lol...no, it's not sad for me. It's sad for Sony. I'm the consumer. They have to convince me to buy it, not vice versa.

Same here.  I own a VITA.  I own a PSP.  I have the games and have access to the games.  But I would have been willing to pay 100 bucks to be able to play those games on a bigger TV.  But when the device is gimped from the start, it looks like Sony isn't even trying. Like this thing is just a cash grab.

Well:

The PSP has TV out and full PSP compatibility, and digital PSX compatibility.

The PSP GO has full screen TV out, and supports a PS3 controller, but is only compatible with digital games.

The Vita can connect a PS3 controller during PS4 remote play, but it requires some weird settings to work; the vita also has the hardware to upscale to a TV, and has an accessory port to which the cable was never made to connect Vita to TV; game developer's Vitas have Normal HDMI out. Vita can play most digital PSX/PSP games, all digital/physical Vita games.

They canceled making a proprietary $0.10 video out cable they could have sold for $19.99.

PS3 Controllers on Vita is a software that is already functioning, but not enabled.

Instead, they take the vita hardware, alter it, downgrade the Wifi that worked well on the Vita, reduce software compatibility, and charge $99.99 for it.

Cash Grab? Playstation is great, but yea...

kowenicki said:
Its one of those products that tried to create a market for itself that didn't previously exist.

It has failed to do so.

Google, Amazon etc are also dabbling with the same market. I would agree that it does not appear to exist and these products don't seem to be coming close to creating it.

I'll be getting one. But I don't doubt I'm going to be in a very small minority.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Same here. We have one large TV, and currently the PS/3 and the PS/4 are connected to it.

Will get a PS TV and connect to a smaller TV in the bedroom and remote play the PS/4.

Will also play some vita games on it (P4G, Disgaea 4 and others)

And finally Will bring the PS TV on vacations.

But I have no doubt this product Will flop.

Ps TV is an acessory for the most part. It was never going to be the next boom of playstation. Its a nice choice for people to have though.

I didn't know it came out?

I just don't see the point of it. It pretty much is supposed to play all playstation games but it can't. I am just getting a ps4 next year and that is it for my Sony hardware purchases until ps5. Vita is just dead and the games I do have for it are not worth me buying one to play the games.

Did... anyone expect otherwise?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!