By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the playstation TV a bust in the US?

Is the playstation TV a bust?

Yes 83 49.11%

No 35 20.71%

I like Turtles! 51 30.18%

Total:169

I got one also. Bought the upgraded one that included The LEGO Movie game, more memory, and controller. My PS4 is on the TV in a dark room in the basement. It's my pride and joy to game on and don't really want some of the kids playing around with it or near it.

The living room upstairs has a big TV and a Wii U that gets alot of use also.

Here is my situation and why this PS TV is a good purchase for me:

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
The reason I don't have one yet is that it only delivers things half assed. It can play only SOME of the VITA games...only SOME of the PSP games...only SOME of the PSX games. Couple that with the fact that it is based off of a dying system, and of course people are hesitant to pick one up. It could have been handled a lot better.

agreed. don't have one yet. i'll wait for more games to release for the platform before purchase but i think Sony dropped the ball by not adding PS2 games to the mix.

Count me in on a consumer deeply disappointed with PSTV.  I was kind of excited getting a Playstation device that has Vita/PSP compatibility with Netflix and the other apps you'd expect from a TV device these days.  But sadly, I purchased and returned it a day later.  It was terrible and totally incomplete.  The PSTV I purchased couldn't play  half of the PSP and Vita games I had.  And inexcusably the Sony device didn't even have Netflix which I needed for my TV.  It was a nobrainer return.  Sony needs to do a much better job at day one usability and quality of their products.  As a Sony fan, I'm really sad they couldn't deliver with the PSTV.

ShyGuy322 said:
CladInShadows said:
estebxx said:
ShyGuy322 said:
I don't understand why anyone would want it.

to play vita games on a proper tv, i bought it and im really happy with the product.

To play SOME Vita games on a proper TV.

Yea, the fact that it's limited in the Vita games that are compatible killed it for me. On top of that there are no media apps on the device, so using it to replace a Roku, Apple TV etc. goes out the window. But I was also interested in using it to remote play my PS4 in my bedroom. The straw that broke the camels back for me was the fact that unless you are using ethernet on both ends, the feature is useless. 

It's 2014. I use wireless for everything. I don't feel the need to rig my house up for ethernet connections everywhere.

well sad for you, the games that i wanted to play were on the list and i DO belive that there will be more games supported on the future afterall the PS VITA TV (the japanese version) supports a lot more games that the US version and i expect them to at least get the same games.

and no im not making this up, Sony said they would keep expanding the list so yeah i belive them.

I liked the idea of it at first, but given that it does not have any of the important streaming features (DLNA, many apps, etc.) I really don't see the point of it.... it's a streamer for Sony's music and movies services, which are not very poplar as far as I know...

and it's limited to 720p output, which makes it useless for good quality media content.

For the same price you can get an ouya or something else that has much more possibilites, even if it does not have the PS Vita games.

and everything I would expect it to do, I expect the PS4 will eventually.

Around the Network
cutzman25 said:

I am sorta interested in the Playstion TV for the remote play feature alone, but I havent heard anything about it since it was released a few weeks back.  Seems like it is being overlooked like the Vita.  Does anyone have personal experience on the product?? Unbias reviews might be helpful.

it works damn good, been using it for remote play on my bedroom tv. Wifes not happy bout that but O well lol.

estebxx said:
ShyGuy322 said:
CladInShadows said:
estebxx said:
ShyGuy322 said:
I don't understand why anyone would want it.

to play vita games on a proper tv, i bought it and im really happy with the product.

To play SOME Vita games on a proper TV.

Yea, the fact that it's limited in the Vita games that are compatible killed it for me. On top of that there are no media apps on the device, so using it to replace a Roku, Apple TV etc. goes out the window. But I was also interested in using it to remote play my PS4 in my bedroom. The straw that broke the camels back for me was the fact that unless you are using ethernet on both ends, the feature is useless. 

It's 2014. I use wireless for everything. I don't feel the need to rig my house up for ethernet connections everywhere.

well sad for you, the games that i wanted to play were on the list and i DO belive that there will be more games supported on the future afterall the PS VITA TV (the japanese version) supports a lot more games that the US version and i expect them to at least get the same games.

and no im not making this up, Sony said they would keep expanding the list so yeah i belive them.

Lol...no, it's not sad for me. It's sad for Sony. I'm the consumer. They have to convince me to buy it, not vice versa.

So...any sales data? Or is it a bust just because.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

I love my PSTV since I got it at launch....but....seems like Sony's support became non-existence right after launch.

There are a decent amount of PS Vita games that can be played (currently playing Muramasa and loving it on the big screen) but there are still a few key games that still needs to be added to the list (ie. Uncharted GA). I'm certain I read that Sony will be updating the PS TV game list daily yet since launch I haven't seen any new games added. There are a great selection of PS1 and PSP games as well. (PS1 games that support multiplayer, the PS TV can support up to 4 controllers).

Another disappointment is that big apps like Youtube and Netflix doesn't exist which seems like it can easily be incorporated if Sony wanted to. However at least there's still Crackle and I've been enjoying what they offer, and its completely free.

Of course acting as a 2nd PS4 is a huge bonus and something I feel alot of PS4 owners should purchase for this reason. Granted you'll need a decent wifi.

Overall I'm still pretty happy with my PS TV. I use it in the bedroom where my other systems are downstairs on the main floor.

Also, one new thing I found a good use for this last night was that because it's just so small and easy to carry, I brought it over to my in-laws house and hooked it up to one of their spare TVs. Before I'd bring my console over to their place but it just seemed like a hassle with the weight and size. Of course I could do the same and bring a PS Vita rather than a PS TV, but I like to share the experience as my in-laws enjoyed watching on Crackle on my PS TV last night.

In the end, its hard to say whether you'll find as much use for it as others but that's just something you'll have to think about before purchasing.

ShyGuy322 said:

Lol...no, it's not sad for me. It's sad for Sony. I'm the consumer. They have to convince me to buy it, not vice versa.

Same here.  I own a VITA.  I own a PSP.  I have the games and have access to the games.  But I would have been willing to pay 100 bucks to be able to play those games on a bigger TV.  But when the device is gimped from the start, it looks like Sony isn't even trying. Like this thing is just a cash grab.