By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Witcher 3 Getting 16 Free DLC Packs

CD Projekt Red announces free DLC program for upcoming role-playing game.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt developer CD Projekt Red today announced a free DLC program for the 2015 role-playing game, and it does not disappoint. The studio will release a whopping 16 add-on packs for the RPG, all of which will be completely free, and are not tied to any platform.

The first bundle of DLC expansions for The Witcher 3 will be released on February 25, a day after the game's public release. This content will come in the form of the Temerian Armor Set (includes horse armor) and the Beard and Hairstyle Set for main character Geralt.

After February 25, DLC bundles featuring two expansions will be released every week. Other content will include more quests and personalization options. CD Projekt Red has also released a Q&A about the free Witcher 3 DLC, which should clear up any questions you might have. You can read the full Q&A below.

You might be wondering why CD Projekt Red is giving away all the DLC instead of charging for it like so many other publishers do. CD Projekt Red co-founder Marcin Iwinski explains in an open letter to fans that offering free DLC is unfortunately "quite rare these days."

"As gamers, we nowadays have to hold on tight to our wallets, as surprisingly right after release, lots of tiny pieces of tempting content materialize with a steep price tag attached. Haven't we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game?" he says.

"As CD Projekt Red, we strongly believe this is not the way it should work and, with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we have decided to do it differently," he added. "This is our way of saying thank you for buying our game."

The Witcher 3 launches February 24 across Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. For more, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

Around the Network

i like these guys.

Instead of offering it as DLC, why not just include it somewhere within the game. Some of us like to own the physical version of the product and having day one DLC is making that physical version incomplete.

If you like CD Projekt Red or any other developer more because of this, then their ploy has already worked against you. The very reason they're doing this is to try and garner interest that they're not like other developers selling their DLC but giving it away for free instead. It's still DLC that's held back until after release.

"You might be wondering why CD Projekt Red is giving away all the DLC instead of charging for it like so many other publishers do."

I actually wasn't because I was speachless after learning that it was an armor, a new haircut and a new look for a character, things that I don't know why are DLCs when there's enough time to add them to the final game.

The extra mission is cool, though.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Well, some of the DLC seems to be quite small in terms of content, but I don't feel like I have any right to complain about it.

Around the Network

I was going to complain about what these DLCs were, but then I remembered that complaining about free stuff would make me an ass

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I know it's mostly character skins, and as such not something that interests me, but it is commendable they are not attempting to nickle-and-dime us with it (I am still shocked at the sheer amount of PAID customization items for The Last of Us).

Maybe not my type of game, but massive respect to developers...

woah. great. nice.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Respect for not charging for simple skins and armor sets, because that's stuff nobody in the world should ever have to pay extra for.
But seriously, I appreciate Projekt Red doing this.

I'm only bothered by the fact that we're normally charged for stuff as useless as a new hat in a game.

4 ≈ One