By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Witcher 3 Getting 16 Free DLC Packs

This is how it should be done. And even though only like 2 or so of those 16 DLC may actually be game expanding content... this gesture alone guarantees that I buy this game. Devs like this should just be supported. If it were capcom of Ubisoft that beard stuff will be tied to some sort of pre-order extra from Gillette or something along those lines.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Kind of weird they are labelling them as DLC. They aren't really, kind of the things that should be included in free patches anyway, or maybe put alltogether and added onto a proper DLC.

That comment shows that you're young!

The older ones around here still remember the PAID Horse Armor DLC for Oblivion.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

The DLC itself is good, but partitioning it into 16 different pieces only tells us that this kind of DLC will be the norm once they start selling it. Hence, nobody will bat an eyelash when an new armor set is like 5 dollars by itself. Despite the fact that this not only could've been just one DLC, but honestly could be included anyway since its free.

Smart move, CD Projekt Red. Devious, but smart and players will love you for it.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Hell yes! Stuff like this makes me even more excited for this epic game! Thanks CD Projekt! You guys are awesome

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
The DLC itself is good, but partitioning it into 16 different pieces only tells us that this kind of DLC will be the norm once they start selling it. Hence, nobody will bat an eyelash when an new armor set is like 5 dollars by itself. Despite the fact that this not only could've been just one DLC, but honestly could be included anyway since its free.

Smart move, CD Projekt Red. Devious, but smart and players will love you for it.

From the sound of the Open Letter wherre they announced the DLCs, it looks more like a way to encourage buyers to keep the game a little longer and not selling it right after finishing it.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/news/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-16-free-dlcs-for-everyone-2/

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
JEMC said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Kind of weird they are labelling them as DLC. They aren't really, kind of the things that should be included in free patches anyway, or maybe put alltogether and added onto a proper DLC.

That comment shows that you're young!

The older ones around here still remember the PAID Horse Armor DLC for Oblivion.

Oh I remember that, it could be a lot worse. But I still don't think they deserve praise for releasing this kind of stuff free. It's just everyone else that does charge for it that is doing anti-consumer things..

I agree.

JEMC said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

From the sound of the Open Letter wherre they announced the DLCs, it looks more like a way to encourage buyers to keep the game a little longer and not selling it right after finishing it.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/news/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-16-free-dlcs-for-everyone-2/

Its both. They won't publize the other result. That it is the nature of PR, information control. They have a vested interest in selling their product, why would they outright when it would hamper DLC sales? Plus hampering resales increase the money they make as well.

DLC is just witheld content, even if they are giving it for free it is still witheld from the main game.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

kupomogli said:
Instead of offering it as DLC, why not just include it somewhere within the game. Some of us like to own the physical version of the product and having day one DLC is making that physical version incomplete.

If you like CD Projekt Red or any other developer more because of this, then their ploy has already worked against you. The very reason they're doing this is to try and garner interest that they're not like other developers selling their DLC but giving it away for free instead. It's still DLC that's held back until after release.

Maybe they have a dead line for the game, but they want to put this content in the game and they didn't have the time.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
JEMC said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Its both. They won't publize the other result. That it is the nature of PR, information control. They have a vested interest in selling their product, why would they outright when it would hamper DLC sales? Plus hampering resales increase the money they make as well.

DLC is just witheld content, even if they are giving it for free it is still witheld from the main game.

That's something I already said on my first post in this thread.

As for future paid DLCs, they have put themselves in a very tough situation here. They have made a name for not only supporting the game before its release, but also for openly talk against abusive DLCs. If they change their attitude for Cyberpunk 2077 they will have lots of problems with their fans on a new franchise.

Will they sell DLCs in the future? I'd say yes. Heck, if Nintendo does it then anyone can, but I don't think they are stupid enough to do what they have criticized so many times.

JEMC said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
JEMC said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

That's something I already said on my first post in this thread.

As for future paid DLCs, they have put themselves in a very tough situation here. They have made a name for not only supporting the game before its release, but also for openly talk against abusive DLCs. If they change their attitude for Cyberpunk 2077 they will have lots of problems with their fans on a new franchise.

Will they sell DLCs in the future? I'd say yes. Heck, if Nintendo does it then anyone can, but I don't think they are stupid enough to do what they have criticized so many times.

You're the one who intially responded to me remember?

That's the problem with being a PC centric developer, probably one of the reasons they are pulling into console development. Memories are really really short in the console industry. I'd make a thread about it, but I don't care enough.