By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto says plenty of Wii U games next year and more major franchise spinoffs

bananaking21 said:
More spin offs promised? Keep milking nintendo but your flat out refusal to let your biggest projects be new ips is one of the main reasons wiiu is tanking so hard. Keep milking zelda and mario, lets see how far that takes you.

New IPs don't tend to do as well as established ones.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
bananaking21 said:
More spin offs promised? Keep milking nintendo but your flat out refusal to let your biggest projects be new ips is one of the main reasons wiiu is tanking so hard. Keep milking zelda and mario, lets see how far that takes you.

New IPs don't tend to do as well as established ones.

Yeah, let Nintendo put all his budget on very costly and very risky "new ip', because a few want that.

With bananaking's management, Nintendo would go under very quickly.

Lucas-Rio said:
tsogud said:

Diddy Kong Racing 2?

It wouldn't be a very smart investment. MK8, with some DLC effort and its evergreen condition, is going to sell very well at full price for the years to come.

Sadly, I know :'( but a guy can dream, can't he?

bananaking21 said:

Nintendo wants splatoon to shooters to be like mario kart to racers
(pretty much give it new life)

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

I believe it when I see it.

Around the Network

They are outsourcing things, better keep tabs on quality Nintendo.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Pretty great news imo. They need more games on the wiiu and they clearly don't have enough developers to make enough games so making spinoffs of their already strong ips would make the most amount of sense. They don't need to be system sellers but they do need to be good enough to add to the list of reasons to get a wiiu which so far, they have done fairly well

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

bananaking21 said:

Cynicism is okay but when they announced a new ip. You words weren't all too kind either. They just can't win. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=185344&page=

Edit: Damn you, Rol. Ninja'd. 

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Pretty great news imo. They need more games on the wiiu and they clearly don't have enough developers to make enough games so making spinoffs of their already strong ips would make the most amount of sense. They don't need to be system sellers but they do need to be good enough to add to the list of reasons to get a wiiu which so far, they have done fairly well

There's a problem of possible brand dilution. HyWa gets away from that by virtue of really giving people a new flavor and character roster to play with but I wouldn't call it a good long term strategy that can be blankly applied to every brand or, even, more of Zelda. The novelty is limited, and I'm pretty sure Nintendo and Miyamoto understand this (or they would have pimped out Mario and Zelda even more). They've had this strategy in the past with the various Mario *sport* games, and it tends to help them fill the void of lacking Golf, Basketball, Tennis, and Soccer from big publishers with their own versions using their own IP rather than expensive FIFA/NBA/NFL things and, at the end of the day, a game of golf doesn't really care if you're using Tiger Woods or Mario or a Mii. Its still golf.

I think what he means, more than anything, is that not all development will be in-house or limited. Smash, for example, was not limited to just Nintendo and neither will Star Fox as they just don't have the man power for it all. Toad is an example of a spin-off done correctly as it hardly interferes with or touches the original IP while still piggy backing off of it for recognition. I would expect more games like Toad where either a minor character or concept is given new life through a new game and, possibly, studio.

SMTxFE is another of these spin-offs. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Mario RPG or similar old spin-offs making a come back in the long run. Would be a good oppurtunity for Nintendo to also shop out some titles to upcoming, promising (western) studios and possibly hiring them long term.

tsogud said:
Lucas-Rio said:
tsogud said:

Diddy Kong Racing 2?

It wouldn't be a very smart investment. MK8, with some DLC effort and its evergreen condition, is going to sell very well at full price for the years to come.

Sadly, I know :'( but a guy can dream, can't he?

Just wanted to say, best sig ever!

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD