By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3.3m PS4, 800k PS3 shipped last quarter, 13.5m shipped as of Sep. 30. Sony giving discrete numbers again.

Troll_Whisperer said:
Wonktonodi said:
Nice shipments for the ps4, though the ps3 is winding down. At this rate I don't think it will hit 90 million.

800k is still 67k per week on average (probably undertracked by VGC) and that's Jun-Sep. Also, decline slows down towards the tail end of a gen, for example it's shipped the same number the last two quarters. It might be at 85m-ish now and will sell well over a million during the holiday, maybe two million. It will reach 90m no doubt. Now 100m, that's something else, I don't think it's gonna make it.

How undertracked do you think it is on here? on the front page it has 83.6 million. If off by 2 million 85.6 so it would leave over 4.3 million to go. While possible it's been dropping much faster than I had thought it would. I used to think the 100 was possible, but the ps4 is taking off really quickly unlike what the ps3 did to ps2 sales.

Now if it's over by over 2 million and closer to 3. then yes do think it will make 90. Since that would mean those millions of sales would show it not dropping anywhere near to what this site shows.

Around the Network

PS4 has 2m on shelves, yo

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

I wonder what PS3 LTD is.

Ehh I hoped we'll get PS2 Lifetime shipments, seems like we won't :-/

Great numbers overall though!

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

I'm pretty sure that less than a million PS4 consoles are on the shelves.

Around the Network

PS4 sell through as of 30th Sept on VGC ~11.65m. Add on the 220k under from 9th August you get 11.87m, still 1.6m gap to the shipped number. Ontop of that you'd need an absolute minimum of another 130k. So I'd say absolute minimum 350k under tracked, then maybe another 0-500k depending on whereabouts the amount in the channel is in the 1-1.5m range. 350k-850k under for me, so average it out and that's 600k

Wow, congratulations, Sony! Although I don't know why it is outselling competition that much, this is a hell of a success!

under tracked by around 1 million. The general rule of thumb has been take the shipped number - 1 mil to get the ballpark. Of course that does not apply when something is supply constrained which the PS4 is currently not.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bonzobanana said:
We are well into the christmas selling season. Retailers will increase stock levels so doesn't necessarily mean under-tracking. Consoles are very seasonal with huge peaks in sales in November and December. Clearly retailers will increase stock levels just before this. If you don't see the same surge in shipment figures for xbox one and wii u its probably because there is still much more unsold stock in retail channels.

I disagree with the comment about ps3 winding down. Its sales are still very healthy ahead of 360 and wii u and in Europe its still a very significant format. I see the ps3 as in a very healthy position for a few years yet.

these numbers are end of month 30 sep. No way they are stuffed the CMAS supply channels by that much.

Shipped does not mean sitting in a warehouse waiting for CMAS. Shipped means a retailer purchased them. I doupt retailers were stocking their warehouses full of PS4s in SEP.

I think it is 600k to 1 mill undertracked. Also PS4 has less of a CMAS effect than XB1. PS4 is more of a worldwide console and many countries dont celebrate CMAS like the US. The XB1 is US/UK centric where CMAS is a huge deal.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

in what way are they giving discrete numbers? I'm quite new here so don't pick up on details like that.