By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It's Official-ish, PS4 Has the Best Games Lineup for New Gen Home Consoles this Holidays

binary solo said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I understand how Metacritic works and I understand the meaning of objective. 

Your presentation of these numbers may be objective, but the numbers per se are not. They are the collected works of human beings, all carrying their own preferences, priorities, hang-ups, and biases. Yes, by virtue of their proximity to the industry and their experience with games, they are given deference. But in no way does a 95 on Metacritic, for example, make a game great. It signals that the average weighted score from critics was 95, it signals overwhelming critical approval, but it doesn't signify greatness. 

And if we follow your line of thought to its logical conclusion, which I did in my original post, then why bother debating the quality of games? How can I argue that game A is better than game B, if Metacritic, which, as you say, is "objective evidence," says otherwise?

If you truly feel that PS4 is being unfairly criticized, then I encourage you to play its games, play its competitors' games, and write a detailed, thoughtful essay on why you personally believe that PS4 has an excellent library of games. It would be a lot more meaningful coming from you, based on your own analysis, written in your own words. Simply copying and pasting an aggregate of others' opinions does the whole topic a disservice.

But what you've done isn't follow my line of thought to its logical conclusion. The logical conclusion from my OP is that statements from fans of consoles other than PS4 that PS4 has a rubbish game library and has nothing to compete with this holidays has no basis in any objective fact. My OP does not in any way imply that debating the merits of any individual game, or the comparitive merits of any 2 games, between individuals, or among a community of individuals is pointless.

I don't say metacritic is objective evidence of a game's inherent quality. You need to read what I actualy write before you make comments about what I'm saying.

It sounds like you're backtracking. You've written that "[metascore] is objective evidence that PS4 has a more than sufficient library of good quality games and it is comparable to the other new gen consoles." Since that library is made up of individual games, doesn't your statement indicate that Metacritic is objective evidence of a game's inherent quality? If not, why did you trot out all those +90 games and +80 games? Wasn't it to prove, objectively, that, according to Metacritic, PS4 had many quality games, stipulated by high numerical values?

Around the Network

If I were someone who did not already own a next gen console I would rank the libraries as follows:

1. Xbone
2. PS4
3. Wii U

Nintendo puts out some amazing exclusives but just cannot compete with the combination of MicroSony exclusive PLUS the third party stuff.

Since I own two of the three next gen consoles though, the libraries look like this to me:

1. Xbone
2. Wii U
3. PS4

There is nothing on PS4 I cannot play on my Xbone, PS3, or PC. And I am not opposed to actually buying a console for a killer game even if its available on PC or previous gen. I bought an Xbone for Titanfall. I would love to have an excuse to jump into Playstation next gen but Sony hasn't done shit to convert me, regardless of how great VelocityX2 or Last of Us HD scored with critics.

This gap between Xbone/WiiU and PS4 libraries will only get exponentially greater this holiday season for me personally. And with The Order looking more like The Boreder, I'm hoping Sony has some nice tricks up their sleeves.

Official where?

My wallet is the only thing that matters, meta-cynic is trash for the most part.

MCC and sunset are better than a remaster and a multiplatform game.

LudicrousSpeed said:

There is nothing on PS4 I cannot play on my Xbone, PS3, or PC.
And I am not opposed to actually buying a console for a killer game even if its available on PC or previous gen. I bought an Xbone for Titanfall. I would love to have an excuse to jump into Playstation next gen but Sony hasn't done shit to convert me, regardless of how great VelocityX2 or Last of Us HD scored with critics.

This gap between Xbone/WiiU and PS4 libraries will only get exponentially greater this holiday season for me personally. And with The Order looking more like The Boreder, I'm hoping Sony has some nice tricks up their sleeves.

This confuses me, since Titanfall is available (and arguably better) on PC.

Meh, Infamous 2 is the only Playstation 4exclusive I actually want this year. Would happily pick the Wii U or X1s line up over it.

Around the Network

I agree with OP if he want to measure with Meta critic. If he want to measure with sales number as well that would be even great especially for online gaming like Destiny that require many people to be online.

LiquorandGunFun said:
Official where?

My wallet is the only thing that matters, meta-cynic is trash for the most part.

MCC and sunset are better than a remaster and a multiplatform game.

Well too bad you are alone in here :), many people choose to get multyplatform and remaster :)

People on here forgot, that every multyplatform better on PS4 so that will put Xbox One automatically below PS4, if some people insist saying other console has exclusive, too bad for them, PS4 have better exclusive on meta critic as well and sales wise.

When your best games are games that were already released a while back, you know there's a problem.

teigaga said:
Meh, Infamous 2 is the only Playstation 4exclusive I actually want this year. Would happily pick the Wii U or X1s line up over it.

Infamous 2? That's a PS3 game XD