By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Things about nintendo that you're wrong about.

Very interesting... at all. I was willing to read more than two sentences. For real.

Around the Network

Let me just say that I agree with you completely. The WiiU will suffer all this market life due to its poor marketing and branding on the launch, Nintendo must always push hard on advertising.   Still,  as long as Nintendo is not losing money with it anymore, it will be fine.

I do believe that Bayonetta 2 will help to move a few consoles, but I don´t think Devil´s third will. Anyway, as third party companies are not interested in WiiU anymore , Nintendo will need to fund more and more second party projects like those to please its costumers, even if those projects are not million sellers.

Advertising is not a magic success wand :p It's incredibly important, but can also be ridiculously expensive. So sure, a massive advertising spree could 'save' the WiiU sales wise, but Nintendo obviously don't think it's worth the risk. There isn't much point in blowing millions/billions on it if you don't think your profits will increase by at least a comparable amount.

Not to mention, the home console business revolves around the long term potential profit that can be generated from console owners. The short term profits are fairly limited, so in the short to medium term that kind of advertising would lose them an awful lot of money. That's the last thing Nintendo need right now, especially for the sake of what is essentially a gamble.

A lot of posts so I'll address them in general.

1) Off the top of my head: Mario Party 10, Captain Toad, Project Giant Robot, Project Guard, Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, Fatal Frame, ZombiU, Splattoon, and probably a few of the upcoming titles all have gamepad features. Several of them are literally unplayable or have large portions of content that you can't do without it.

The problem with the gamepad runs deeper than cost, it's usage. A lot of the issues with 3rd parties from the beginning wasn't a lack of power but they tried telling them they must use the game pad when they themselves haven't sold anybody on it. ZombiU was a great example of using it well. Zelda is another example of using it well because you don't have to break gameplay to swap items. Now they need to sell this idea as more than offscreen play, which they're trying to do now with Mario Party 10 and Captain Toad, and possibly whatever Retro has been working on since they wrapped up DKCTF and went into seclusion.

If from the start Nintendo had shown players why they "needed" a game pad instead of a standard controller, people would have bought the Wii U and third parties would still be on it.

2) Advertising isn't a magical wand that sells things, but it's damn near it and the closest humanity has ever come to such a thing. Smart advertising will sell an inferior product is what Apple has built their entire business model on. Hell, it's what MS is trying to do right now. Look at the McRib or the Tickle Me Elmo, they're both godawful products that nobody likes but everybody wants.

3) Nobody's going to buy your new console if you roll over with a new one every two years when sales go sour. Also, the New 3DS is in a different boat. It hasn't erased the 3DS and it's almost necessary for the most popular game series on the console, plus it opens the handheld market to ports of popular Gamecube/Wii titles, providing a stream of "new" games without taking much of Nintendo's time, effort, or money, which should be focused on the Wii U. The machine is now turning a profit on sales, just not at a rate they'd like. Better to make money slowly than to shoot yourself in the foot.

4) I'm sure Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third will bring them some profits. Even if they don't sell nearly as high as they should, they will bring more consoles into the fold by reaching to the untapped demographic than by reaching to the demographic that's tapped out or will be soon with Smash, Zelda, Star Fox and Mario releases on the way. These purchases essentially exist only because of these titles.

A lot of you are writing it off as a loss on publishing cost, but not considering three things. A) Nintendo needs games more than they needed the money, especially in this demographic. B) Nintendo swooped in and saved these games already in production, saving money, time, and human resources. C) While Bayonetta 2 may not have been worth it to Sega to publish, Nintendo makes a profit on the attached consoles as well so they're likely to benefit more from less copies sold than Sega or any other publisher.

5) Between Steam, Newegg, and Youtube, becoming a PC gamer is easier and cheaper than ever. You can also just use your awesome TV instead or a monitor, and buy a 360 windows controller. At this point, my computer is just a really badass console with far greater multimedia functions. I start a game on my 32inch tv, lay in bed, and play with a 360 controller. The initial investment is usually greater, but cost over time is less: You likely need a computer anyway and steam games are dirt cheap in comparison.

The more PC-like consoles become, the easier it is to just use a PC. That's why I say it's an evolutionary dead end to focus simply on graphical prowess and multimedia function instead of gaming.

2) Advertising isn't a magical wand that sells things, but it's damn near it and the closest humanity has ever come to such a thing. Smart advertising will sell an inferior product is what Apple has built their entire business model on. Hell, it's what MS is trying to do right now. Look at the McRib or the Tickle Me Elmo, they're both godawful products that nobody likes but everybody wants.

This makes no sense....if they were "godawful" everyone wouldn't want them. People LOVE the McRIb(hence the reason it was brought back lol) and people(kids) LOVE TickleMe Elmo hence the reason it sells so well. Why would someone want something they don't like? Let alone purchase it?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network

Could you be a little more aggressive, mate? It really emphasizes all your points so well.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Ka-pi96 said:
Pavolink said:
1. Drop the tablet
Until now I haven't seen any game that justify it.

2. Nothing is capable of saving the Wii U (marketing is mentioned)
Cammie Dunaway is not anymore with Nintendo. Brilliant at selling the Wii. Now nobody is capable of selling the Wii U.

3. Nintendo should announce a new console
Nintendo is not going to announce a new console or a new handheld. They are gonna announce Nintendo Fusion. One piece of hardware, one library. No droughts, great games, more games.

4. Bayonetta 2/Devil's Third are bad moves/not system sellers
We are stealing their games. It's worth.

5. Nintendo should go third party
People want Nintendo software, not Nintendo hardware. If they publish all their games on devices like mobiles and PS4/X1 will see a lot of third parties going bankrupt and first party games flopping against Nintendo masterpieces. The perfect vendetta.

Ummm.... no

Why not? Are you going to tell me MK won't outsell GT or Forza? Or how SMB is going to destroy LBP?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I agree with every point. Thanks for taking the time.

TheBlackNaruto said:

This makes no sense....if they were "godawful" everyone wouldn't want them. People LOVE the McRIb(hence the reason it was brought back lol) and people(kids) LOVE TickleMe Elmo hence the reason it sells so well. Why would someone want something they don't like? Let alone purchase it?

I've never in my life seens somebody eat a McRib and then say it was good or worth it. I've seen people excited for it, but that gives way to disappointment or regret afterwards. Kids loving tickle me elmo isn't a big deal either, especially since the audience they were aiming for can't tell the difference between fact, fiction, and advertising.  Their parents were made to get them because of advertising to the child and the parent. Children just wanted it, and parents were told it was the hottest toy ever and they'd be a disappointment if they didn't have one under the tree come christmas.

So people excited bought sandwiches that were custom made to give you indegestion and diarhea and a toy that annoyed the f*ck out of them 24/7.

Why did those people want those things? Advertising.

Have you ever sat in on a college class on advertising? It's a guide to being a horrible person and convincing people garbage is good. The director for CoD essentially came out and admitted that it's better to make people think they want something through advertising, before they buy it, than to make a product they'll actually want to play.

And I'm not getting angry or something, this is my "Normal."

MoHasanie said:
I disagree with almost everything you said.

Same.