By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Sunset Overdrive Metacritic/review thread - Current meta: 82

Tagged games:

What do think about Sunset Overdrive's Meta score?

Too High 92 29.97%

Too Low 42 13.68%

hmmmm about right 137 44.63%

See Results 36 11.73%

Total:307

It seems people were just wishing and hoping for this game to be overhyped just to rub it in Xbox owners' faces. But congrats to insomniac on making a damn good game! Glad MS saw the potential and hopped on it.

Also, glad people can shut up about Fuse.

Around the Network

I read the Eurogamer review. Lots of things I was afraid of confirmed, also some other things that sound like a lot of fun. Mixed bag, not really a full price title for me or a reason to hurry an XB1 purchase along. (Well maybe if LBP3 fails miserably)
It does look lovely though. Too bad I didn't like Crackdown nor Jet set radio, not for me I guess.

HyrulianScrolls said:
Qwark said:
AAA games +80 metascores xbox one = 3 vs playstation 4 1 (the last of us remastered is a remake so it doesn't count)
AAA games -75 metascores xbone one 1 vs playstation 4 = 3
Xbox exclusives are better than playstation exclusive games confirmed, so everyone buy an Xbox our fate in Sony has been compromised? (Before people start whining the conclusion is troll, though the metafacts are true)

I'm truly hoping once this Holiday season goes by with still zero exclusive reasons to own a PS4 people are going to finally wake up and stop buying them off of the hype alone. But then again, people love to be sheep so that probably won't happen.

Ah, calling people sheep, the last resort of the defeated and dejected. The figures indicating PS4 is selling 2:1 and even 3:1 over Xb one in the software department most recent weeks suggest PS4 owners are finding plenty of games on PS4 to satisfy their needs.

Anyway OT, back at 83 with 41 reviews. Looks like it's pretty much settled and safe in the 80's which I am so glad to see. Insomniac has its mojo back, and it's thanks to MS giving Insomniac its creative freedom, as opposed to EA placing uncreative shackles on Insomniac. Imagine, this is the game EA could have had if it hadn't been such a dick. EA's loss is MS's (and Xb one's) gain.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Absolutely nothing about this game reflects Microsoft, but rather the creativity of Insomniac who were out to do something on their own and found a very good publisher. I'm sure Insomniac learned their lesson after Overstrike.

Actually Microsoft helped develop Sunset and that was announced months ago but im not sure why im even telling you this.....

@OP  -  great scores for this game.  Now people can stop trying to downplay Insomniac because of Fuse.  Sunset to me looks like Jet Set Radio/Ratchet and Clank.  Thats a win win scenario xD

I might get this since i dont have high end PC

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
I read the Eurogamer review. Lots of things I was afraid of confirmed, also some other things that sound like a lot of fun. Mixed bag, not really a full price title for me or a reason to hurry an XB1 purchase along. (Well maybe if LBP3 fails miserably)
It does look lovely though. Too bad I didn't like Crackdown nor Jet set radio, not for me I guess.

Basically how I feel.  There are a lot of things I like about this game.  The tone, the crazy narrative, and especially the customization.  However, it still looks like a horde shooter to me, even if you can slide on powerlines, and all the fetch quests still sound just like fetch quests.  That just isn't my kind of game.  If I had an Xbox One, I'd want to play it but I'd probably get bored quickly.

JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Absolutely nothing about this game reflects Microsoft, but rather the creativity of Insomniac who were out to do something on their own and found a very good publisher. I'm sure Insomniac learned their lesson after Overstrike.

Actually Microsoft helped develop Sunset and that was announced months ago but im not sure why im even telling you this.....

@OP  -  great scores for this game.  Now people can stop trying to downplay Insomniac because of Fuse.  Sunset to me looks like Jet Set Radio/Ratchet and Clank.  Thats a win win scenario xD

The game was in development before Microsoft even got their hands on it. Not only Sony but a number of publishers turned the game down because they wanted IP rights. The only thing i've ever read about Microsoft helping was that much like Titanfall the cloud computing was used in the game and it also helped that the Kinect was removed to increase the power for AI . Microsoft has always financially supported them on that game since they made the partnership and funded them adequately because this is the largest game they'eve ever made. 

"What happened for developers not using the Kinect is that there was a slight boost in CPU power that we got to take advantage of. This game really does push the limits when it comes to the number of enemies on screen, so it was useful for us to have more CPU juice to help with physics, navigation and AI. We’re running at 900p and 30 fps native. This is a game with a lot on the screen and we made the choice to be at 900 because we wanted to push the level of detail, action, the size of the city and the views you can experience as move around. What’s great about Sunset Overdrive is if you can see it, you can go there."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/25/sunset-overdrive-dev-its-the-biggest-game-weve-ever-made

S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/25/sunset-overdrive-dev-its-the-biggest-game-weve-ever-made

hmm, to me it seems like you have been making assumptions based off your own personal emotions and havent even listened to facts.  Where is it you have heard that Sony turned down Sunset Overdrive because i havent heard that anywhere.....Is it you just making stuff up?  THe only info we have on why they went to MSFT is this http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/08/06/sunset-overdrives-xbox-one-exclusivity-explained-insomniac-games/

It was pitched in other places but those publishers were never made public http://www.gamingenthusiast.net/could-sunset-overdrive-also-be-an-xbox-one-exclusive-because-sony-turned-it-down/

Youre right, MSFT has financially backed Insomniac and for how long is unknown as well.  We dont really know how long they have been together on this.  We know its been well over a year and a half though.  And further more, we also know since whenever they partnered up Microsoft has actually helped develop the game and took on all advertising.

So am i correct in assuming that i shouldnt have even brought this up with you or will you continue to try and twist stuff if that is what youre doing?  

pokoko said:
SvennoJ said:

Basically how I feel.  There are a lot of things I like about this game.  The tone, the crazy narrative, and especially the customization.  However, it still looks like a horde shooter to me, even if you can slide on powerlines, and all the fetch quests still sound just like fetch quests.  That just isn't my kind of game.  If I had an Xbox One, I'd want to play it but I'd probably get bored quickly.

Yup, it feels like a game made for reviewers to me. Crazy fun in the first few hours, openworld, tons of options from te get go, pop culture references for the 30 something crowd, bright colorful world. Yet I don't see anything in the review that can sustain me after that. It feels like Crackdown and Just cause 2 to me, jump in, do what you want then repetition sets in all too soon. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not taking my chances on it yet.

Anyway looks like a good addition to the XB1 library. I hope it sells well and paves the way for a Crack in time like game. Meanwhile, what turn was in on Civ beyond earth, talking about alien hordes, ugh.

JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
JayWood2010 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

hmm, to me it seems like you have been making assumptions based off your own personal emotions and havent even listened to facts.  Where is it you have heard that Sony and others have turned down Sunset Overdrive because i havent heard that anywhere.....Is it you just making stuff up?  THe only info we have on why they went to MSFT is this http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/08/06/sunset-overdrives-xbox-one-exclusivity-explained-insomniac-games/

It was pitched in other places but those publishers were never made public

Youre right, MSFT has financially backed Insomniac and for how long is unknown as well.  We dont really know how long they have been together on this.  We know its been well over a year and a half though.  And further more, we also know since whenever they partnered up Microsoft has actually helped develop the game and took on all advertising.

So am i correct in assuming that i shouldnt have even brought this up with you or will you continue to make stuff up if that is what youre doing?  

What exactly did I make up? I just said what you don't want to hear and no link you've shown me has refuted what i've said. Microsoft is a great publisher and the cloud definitely helps. You're emotional than I am, which is why you cannot stand to talk to me. I don't get offended by you, but rather you than me....so go and talk to yourself unless you're ready to calm down.

No different from the link I sent you sadly for your case...

“We have a long history and great relationship with Sony and we will continue to work closely with them moving forward. However, when Microsoft announced the Xbox One we felt that what Microsoft was offering in terms of the platform feature set and Xbox Live presence was a great match for Sunset Overdrive,” Price explains. “For example, our multiplayer mode in the game called Chaos Squad supports eight players traversing a giant open world together to take on randomized missions. This is not a simple feature to create. Yet Microsoft’s muscle on the platform and Xbox Live fronts has been invaluable in helping us create a unique multiplayer experience. Furthermore, the overall partnership has been seamless, and we’ve been extremely happy with the level of support and commitment we’ve received for Sunset Overdrive. ”

He also went on to add...

"He then went on to emphasize that Insomniac Games is a developer who doesn’t really want to be seen as being part of a larger organization. The studio likes it that way because it gives them the freedom of developing “for the platforms that make the most sense for the game.”

Insomniac Games titles reflect insomniac, and now they want to start to make IP's that reflect them and put them wherever suitable.