By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crash Team Racing or Mario Kart 64?

Diddy kong racing was my most enjoyable racer because of the adventure elements in it. But we're not comparing that sooo. I'll go with mario kart64 even though I had a blast playing the CTR demo with friends.

Didn't CTR come out a couple years after MK64? N64 had some good ass 3D graphics that PS could never achive.

Off tpoic: I'll take PS over N64 because of the awsome 2D games and rendering power it had. But some of those 3D games N64 had still blow me away every time I see them.

Around the Network

Only having played CTR at a friend's house (while I've put several hours into MK64, might be over 150), I have to say that MK64 > CTR > any other racing game EVER (except MK:DD).

Of course, I'm not even close to being objective, since I have played one game 50 times as much as the other. My friend agreed MK64 > CTR though (but he's a dork)

I can't see how we can talk about this now. One game is 11 years old and the other 7, the only thing we remember is the nostalgia, and that doesn't necessarily come from quality.

It is also a bit unfair to compare games with 3 to 4 years difference.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

CTR : best racer of all times , and thats that . Mario Kart on the SNES was good , but I hated the N64 version , and Ive got so bored of the DS version , in such a small ammount of time :? CTR is still easily among my 10 ... no 5 favorite games of all , and yes , CB3 is there to :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Man, I love Nintendo, and I loves me some Mario Kart, but CTR..... that game blew EVERY Mario Kart away (except the DS version.....maybe.). Too bad the PS2 version sucked balls. If Sony brought back the original, with just graphical upgrades, it'd be a hit. Sony has a history of stealing Nintendo's ideas and improving upon them, but just that once, I could forgive them.

CTR for the win!

CTR definitely stole the idea from MK but it did it well and i loved them both but I got more hours out of MK.

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
kingofwale said:
I'm a PS3 owners, (although I need to stop saying that, because I think everybody knows that by now) and I would loooove to see Crash racing coming to PS3 in HD.

but I have to say, in its core, overlooking graphics, and if snaking is fixed, MK is a much better series in most every aspect.

And what aspects would those be? All I can think of is more well known characters. The level is design is arguable, imo, they are more colorful/creative than MK's levels. The weapons, just as cool. The music. I don't recall Mk's music, probably just the themes of the characters, in which case maybe a win. But CTR's music was fitting, and good. Graphic, you've conceded this to CTR already.

Characters = Mk, I guess.

Maps = CTR

Graphics = CTR

Music = I would concede and say MK, I guess.

Weapons = comparable, both very good imo.

Gameplay = make your case, but I can't really see what MK has on CTR..............

Fun Factor = CTR was more fun and vibrant than MK 64 imo.

Please be more detailed if you wouldn't mind. :)

Yeah, sorry I didn't go indepth with my explanation earlier.

Characters = MK has more likable characters, characters you actually want to play with

Maps = I'm going to have to say MK, it's much more enjoyable for someone who just starting out (I was really young at the time) and I find CTR maps too hard for newbies

Graphics =I personally think MK looks slightly better.

Music = MK

Weapons = banana peels makes more sense than Apple core. lol, I'm going to have to go with MK

Gameplay = I find MK more intuitive, but I do like boss battles on CTR

Fun Factor = I'm going to have to go with MK, I enjoyed MK a whole lot

Most of them are pretty debatable and differ from person to person though.

But I would looooove to see a crash game using R&C engine, Love that vibrant color and cartoony looks.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

i've never played the crash game but the mario kart series is maybe the best mulitplayer series ever. and certainly the best racing game series ever. with 64 being the best of the mario karts, DD ain't is pretty close though. i can't say how good the crash game is but holy crap that was a complete 100% rip off of mario kart its not even funny. i just watched the video of the game posted above. i've never seen a game so closely copied. anyway considering that mk64 is probably my second favorite multiplayer game ever i'm gonna say crash probably ain't even close, but thats just a guess. also in general crash games seem to be pretty crappy (at least the main series is)

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Crash Team Racing FTW! =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

MK64 had more of a charm with how everything like how the level design and gameplay and weapons fitted with the Mario universe.

Never played CTR but judging from the video, it looked like a bit of a ripoff where the levels were designed the way they were cause it looked cool to the designer. I had the same problem with Diddy Kong racing and didn't like that game for the same reason.

darconi said:
MK64 had more of a charm with how everything like how the level design and gameplay and weapons fitted with the Mario universe.

Never played CTR but judging from the video, it looked like a bit of a ripoff where the levels were designed the way they were cause it looked cool to the designer. I had the same problem with Diddy Kong racing and didn't like that game for the same reason.

Well, they may have taken the idea, but your love for everything Mario doesn't change the fact that the Crash game could be better. There is a history of ideas being taken from some companies and being improved upon by others.  I'm arguing that this is one of those times.  Ripoff or not, quality doesn't require complete creativity.  I'm saying that everything MK did, CTR did better, or almost everything. Again, I'm not gonna sit here and say CTR can beat the nostalgia factor, because it can't.  But if you take the two games and forget that one has a fat man in a red hat, that the facts would favor CTR.