By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crash Team Racing or Mario Kart 64?

I picked up Crash Team Racing the other day after hearing nothing but good things about it. How did I miss this game back in the day? I used to think Mario Kart was the only good kart racer. From the few hours I played, Crash Team Racing is better in almost every.

The track designs are so good, the way they're set up with shortcuts and ramps to boost off of. One of the things I didn't like in Mario Kart 64 is when you came off a jump it seemed like it would take forever to land almost like you were in slow motion. I love being able to find places to catch air and get a boost when I land.

All you people saying Crash Team Racing isn't even in the same league are Mario Kart, have even tried Crash Team Racing? I've played Mario Kart games for years. Crash Team Racing is probably the best kart racer I've played yet. You Mario Kart guys/gals should really give Crash Team Racing a try if you haven't already.

Around the Network

They're both great games....I prefer MarioKart64.
CTR had better graphics, tracks and single player mode (in general) in multiplayer i think that at the beginning CTR is also better, but MarioKart has a longer learning curve in my opinion, (it's hard to master the skid, also it's hard to master the green shell shooting) that gives it more legs on multiplayer but still I think they're almost on the same level. what makes me choose Kart64 is the battle mode, much better than any other's kart game I've played this far.
DiddyKongRacing has been forgotten but also was a very good kart(plane, hovercrafts) game

I love CTR. DKR had a really fun adventure mode that my cousins and I went through a few times. Past SNES i never really was a big Mario Kart fan.

I want CTR for the North American PSN so badly. Why has Sony forsaken us? WHY!?!

Diddy Kong Racing.

Around the Network

CTR = Speedfreaks (or speedpunks in na) > Diddy Kong Racing > Mario Kart 64.

CTR was a lot more skill based than MNR. Graphics were better, sound was better, powerups were more balanced. When I was a kid I was a kart racing fanatic, and we had all these games and regularly me, my sister, my best friend and his sister would play these games for the entire day.

Crash team racing was the best. Mario Kart had the best battle mode but Crashes weren't bad. Diddy Kong Racing wasn't to be taken seriously but it was a lot of fun. Speedfreaks was great too and felt really fresh / fun compared to other typical kart games at that time.

I still play Crash Team Racing to this day, the only MK game I play is Double Dash.

freebs2 said:
They're both great games....I prefer MarioKart64.
CTR had better graphics, tracks and single player mode (in general) in multiplayer i think that at the beginning CTR is also better, but MarioKart has a longer learning curve in my opinion, (it's hard to master the skid, also it's hard to master the green shell shooting) that gives it more legs on multiplayer but still I think they're almost on the same level. what makes me choose Kart64 is the battle mode, much better than any other's kart game I've played this far.
DiddyKongRacing has been forgotten but also was a very good kart(plane, hovercrafts) game

I think you miss some of the intricacies and depth of the Crash Team Racing power up system. 

Bowling bombs were not just fired randomly, but they had remote detonation. After you pressed O you could press O again to detonate the bomb. This made for some ridiculous backwards shots. Not only that but CTR has the wumpa fruit power up system, so the more fruit you have, the faster you go. The more times you're hit by powerups the more fruit you lose, so dodging powerups becomes crutial at high level play. 

Also the 3rd boost on the power slide could be timed as a dodge, which required a lot of skill but could be used to dodge anything, there were even means of dodging the 'ultimate' powerups (like blue shells) that skilled racers could take advantage of. 

Just sayin', you're entitled to your own opinion but I think you might have overlooked how much depth CTR actually had.