By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crash Team Racing or Mario Kart 64?

NYANKS said:
Kasz216 said:
NYANKS said:
LISMDK said:
MK64 is so awesome. I still play it every once in a while.

But have you played CTR? If not, go look at my link a few posts up. Seriously, I thought it was the superior game, and as for not liking Battle mode, maybe it's a matter of taste. It had good levels and the weapons may be supeior to MK, so I vote CTR = win over MK.

That's the problem though. The weapons were better "well some of them." The missles made things waaay to easy. In Mario Kart 64 even the Red Shells weren't perfect kills.

Among talented Mario Kart players the Battlemode could go on forever as you have to catch your opponent in the right position. It was like a dog fight or something.

The missiles were good, but were not instant. And come on, the red shells were just as good. The only way to stop them was to run into an obstacle or hit into a sharp turn, and we both know it was relatively easy to get a good shot in. As for the other weapons, you had a bubble shield that was good, like Sonic's shield in the Genesis game. Also, you remeber the black bomb, the one with a synonymous action as the green shell, this = not an easy kill. With two good people, those battle could be long too. I would still give you that Mario batlle might be better, because I think they're bascially even, but the game overall ( CTR ) is better imo.

That wasn't the only way, every item in Mario Kart could be used to block or avoid a red shell.  The only ways you were screwed were if you had no item, attacked you from above or caught you off guard by hitting you at an indefensible angle with the item you had.  

The best item wasn't even the Red Shell, it was the 3 green shells it produced a very hard to bypass shield, could be used as a weapon and really was only weak against stars, also after deployed you could collect a 2nd item.

Go against those with a red shell and you were screwed.  Most battles i've had usually involved covering the top level with all sorts of crap so it was near unnavigatable to force someone off one of the bridges then hitting them with a red shell while you were above them or chargeing someone with green shells to hit them at the right time.  Nothing was more deadly then having 6 green shells.

Stars could be deadly too... it was hard to hit with them, but if you hit once you could also screw someone with a second hit. 

Around the Network

CTr all the way!!!!

^_^

MK64 all the way

Wow, I'm slightly amused at the relative evenness of the responses. *starts to take off flame suit*. Nah I'll leave it on a little longer, Avanish and GGE and some others have not posted yet, lol.

I'm not sayin MK was bad, but I could easily pick up CTR and have fun even now, so both are definitely good, evidenced by people's responses. Lol, it'll probably just come down to what people like more, Crash or Mario, haha.

Mario Kart is much better than CTR, I play both and I prefer MK64.

Around the Network
NYANKS said:
I thought the weapons were cool, I remember using the missiles. The racing was good, come on!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9grKxCvaxEc&feature=related

That has to be one of the best looking ps1 games I've ever seen. 0_o

It does look very fun.  I may check it out if it ever comes to the PSN. 

makingmusic476 said:
NYANKS said:
I thought the weapons were cool, I remember using the missiles. The racing was good, come on!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9grKxCvaxEc&feature=related

That has to be one of the best looking ps1 games I've ever seen. 0_o

It does look very fun.  I may check it out if it ever comes to the PSN. 

I told you! It was very good and highly underrated in the wake of the monster that is Mario Kart, lol.  It does look very nice for a PS1 game, I must say.  One of the best nonrealistic racers I've ever played, loads of fun.  I hope it comes to PSN, but I might have it somewhere.......................

I'm a PS3 owners, (although I need to stop saying that, because I think everybody knows that by now) and I would loooove to see Crash racing coming to PS3 in HD.

but I have to say, in its core, overlooking graphics, and if snaking is fixed, MK is a much better series in most every aspect.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
I'm a PS3 owners, (although I need to stop saying that, because I think everybody knows that by now) and I would loooove to see Crash racing coming to PS3 in HD.

but I have to say, in its core, overlooking graphics, and if snaking is fixed, MK is a much better series in most every aspect.

And what aspects would those be?  All I can think of is more well known characters.  The level is design is arguable, imo, they are more colorful/creative than MK's levels.  The weapons, just as cool.  The music. I don't recall Mk's music, probably just the themes of the characters, in which case maybe a win.  But CTR's music was fitting, and good.  Graphic, you've conceded this to CTR already.

Characters = Mk, I guess.

Maps = CTR

Graphics = CTR

Music = I would concede and say MK, I guess.

Weapons = comparable, both very good imo.

Gameplay = make your case, but I can't really see what MK has on CTR..............

Fun Factor = CTR was more fun and vibrant than MK 64 imo. 

Please be more detailed if you wouldn't mind.   :)

i really don't like cart racers that much, there a bit slow for me, but i remember liking mk64 never played CTR