By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is there so much cynicism and negativity in the gaming community?

Because of RolStoppable.

That guy invented cynicism and negativity.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Because you're on the Internet. Everything is mired in cynicism and negativity on the Internet.

This

Come to think of it not sure been a part of any online community that wasn't skewed towards cynicism in its subject matter. Even fan sites where everyone agrees they love X still find people complaining that X is not good anymore, or preferred an entry over another and sub camps with X1 and X2 fans bashing the other.

All very silly really.

Basically, you're wrong in your assessment.

Is there cynicism and negativity in gaming? Yes. Is that especially prevalent on the internet? Of course. But that's because EVERYTHING gets taken to the extreme on the internet. That's just how the beast works. It doesn't just apply to negativity. It's blind optimism and praise as well. Flip sides of the same coin.

How often do you see a truly neutral stance on something online? Hardly ever. Everyone leans to one extreme or the other. This applies not just to gaming but opinions about anything on the internet.

Best you accept it now, cus that'll never change

There are days where I feel 80% of the men on these websites hate video gaming. I've been playing video games since 1978 and is a hobby I love. Most men here have seemingly zero respect for the hobby they claim to love and spend all day whining about anything.

Sadly, that's how it is everywhere on the Internet. I try to keep my gripes to myself but most Internet people want the whole world to know what's eating them. It's a necessary evil of our online world.

Around the Network
brighat said:
There are days where I feel 80% of the men on these websites hate video gaming. I've been playing video games since 1978 and is a hobby I love. Most men here have seemingly zero respect for the hobby they claim to love and spend all day whining about anything.

Sadly, that's how it is everywhere on the Internet. I try to keep my gripes to myself but most Internet people want the whole world to know what's eating them. It's a necessary evil of our online world.

I think calling it necessay is inaccurate.  Rather, it is a commonly condoned aspect of our society.  Not just online either.  If you have what you deem to be a poor experience somewhere you are something around 10x more likely to tell your friends about it than you are to tell them if the experience was positive.  Add into that the fact that everyone online has a much larger potential audience for their gripes, and there you go.

*Sound Of Rain said:

That is your answer. Outside of the Internet I've heard nothing but positive responses for both Titanfall & Destiny. Watch Dogs got a bit of negativity but still.

Basically, the Internet in general is filled with people who like to rip on things just to hate. The Youtube comments are the absolute worst. You see it on VGC all the time, people hate on things they haven't even played just to defend their console / game of choice. VGC isn't too bad but it's still here, just far worse on other sites.

It happens with games, music, movies...everything. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you have to rip it down. Is it being there really causing people harm? No but whatever

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

amp316 said:
Because of RolStoppable.

That guy invented cynicism and negativity.

My initial guess was that they didn't live up to all the hype that preceded them, but yours must be the right answer!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It's mainly people that don't like a product talk. How many people actually write or do reviews on Amazon.com, for example. And it all worked. Not a lot. The product has no issue, no care to write something. If it breaks a lot. You'll see the complaints. Because that is their only means to tell people it sucks. So the suck will show more than the like.

Neodegenerate said:
CladInShadows said:

I can see a huge difference today than even 3-4 years ago.  Things have gotten considerably worse.

Just imagine what it will be like in another 3-4 years.

I prefer not to think of such depressing things.