By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Xbox One could hit its stride in 2015

Emperorbach said:
What's weird in this gen is how quick the media are here to defend the xbox and MS , last gen Sony and their fans ate and ealt with so much sh!t and there were no articles like this to cool the flames

i always believed IGN leaned more toward MS

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Locknuts said:

What's with the aggressive beginnings? It doesn't make you any more right. It's still early. They can catch up. I'm not going to waste any more of my time replying to you though. You clearly don't know how to have a decent conversation.

Him being aggressive doesn't make him anymore clear but the rest of what he says couldn't be anymore on point ... 

Being early or not has no bearing to the platform's image. ALMOST every console that has failed in it's first year has also failed in the end. What your expecting out of the Xbox One isn't very rational when you consider that Microsoft is more content with a porfitable duopoly rather than making losses and that they really have no vision in their pipeline to stop the vicious cycle of consumers thinking that It's an inferior PS4 much like how consumers thought that the PS3 was an inferior Xbox 360 ... 

The question then begs, how is Microsoft with the Xbox One supposed to catch up to the PS4 WITHOUT incurring losses ? 

Games, games, games. I don't think it's impossible, or even as unlikely as some others for them to catch up. It wouldn't affect me either way though. I only own a PS4 and Wii U. So it's not like I'm trying to justify a purchase or bias or anything like that. I just honestly think that if they can secure the best games, they can use the USA to catch up. 

Locknuts said:

Games, games, games. I don't think it's impossible, or even as unlikely as some others for them to catch up. It wouldn't affect me either way though. I only own a PS4 and Wii U. So it's not like I'm trying to justify a purchase or bias or anything like that. I just honestly think that if they can secure the best games, they can use the USA to catch up. 

Yes, games can help but what exactly does Microsoft have on the horizon other than Halo or Gears ? 

Locknuts said:

Yes, games can help but what exactly does Microsoft have on the horizon other than Halo or Gears ? 

Not sure but MCC looks better than anything PS has before Christmas and Sunset Overdrive could be cool. Quantum Break I'm not sure about but if they announce some more killer exclusives soon as well as keeping the gap small in multiplats I still reckon they could turn it around. Killer Instinct looks great too. Best exclusive fighter this side of Smash.

Locknuts said:

Not sure but MCC looks better than anything PS has before Christmas and Sunset Overdrive could be cool. Quantum Break I'm not sure about but if they announce some more killer exclusives soon as well as keeping the gap small in multiplats I still reckon they could turn it around. Killer Instinct looks great too. Best exclusive fighter this side of Smash.

That's all I needed to hear ... 

Around the Network
Locknuts said:

That's all I needed to hear ... 

K glad I could help with that lol

Shadow1980 said:

To put it in more concrete numbers, here NPD data showing how XBO compares to other Xbox systems and the PS4 through the first three quarters of their first calendar year:

PS4: 2,507,000
360: 2,067,000
XBO: 1,675,000
Xbox: 1,439,000

It's also worth pointing out that a disproportionate amount of the XBO's sales this year were in Q1. Combined Jan.-March sales were 711k, about 42.5% of its sales this year. In Q2 it sold only 389k, making it the third-worst first Q2 for any major console released this century; only the PS3 and Wii U sold less in their first Q2. In Q3, the XBO sold 575k units, vs. 915k for the PS4, 671k for the 360, 464k for the Xbox, and 433k for the GC in their first Q3. August was the first time since April that the XBO had did better than the GameCube for any given month for their first year.

At this rate, the XBO will at best only outdo what the original Xbox did in 2002 by a few percentage points, and will fall considerably short of what the 360 did in 2006. Meanwhile, the PS4 is on track to have the third-best first year of any console released this century, and fourth-best first year of any console ever since the NPD started tracking sales.

In Europe the situation is even worse. The XBO is sitting at a little over 670k through the first nine months of the year. Meanwhile, the PS4 sold nearly 2.7 million in the same period, and even as poorly as the 360 sold early on in Europe it still managed to sell over a million units in Q1-Q3 2006. In Germany and France the XBO may end up only selling not a whole lot more units this year than the Wii U did last year. That is... not good.

As for Japan, well, it's Japan. The XBO is already below 1000 units per week and it hasn't even been out two months. It'll be lucky to sell even 200k units next year and likely won't pass a million units lifetime.

At this point the XBO's "stride" won't be a particularly impressive one. The only thing that will help boost sales over the long term is a price cut, as games rarely provide long-term boosts (Halo 5 will certainly be the biggest system-seller for the XBO next year). I do think we'll see a price cut next year, and I do think it will help boost sales a good bit, and I also think next year will likely be the peak for both the PS4 and XBO (most systems peak in their second full year, the 360, PS3, and Genesis being the only notable exceptions). But at this point even a 50% increase in year-over-year sales won't make the XBO look all that impressive in absolute terms. Let's just say for total global sales it sells 5 million this year; a 50% YoY increase would give it 7.5 million next year. 7.5M is vastly worse than any seventh-gen system's peak year, and while I don't have global yearly sales for sixth-gen systems, 7.5M probably isn't considerably better than what the Xbox did in its peak year (it pulled 4.33M in 2004 in the U.S., and the U.S.'s share of lifetime Xbox sales was about 62.5%; assuming its share of 2004 sales is the same that would put global Xbox sales in 2004 at around 7 million units).

The XBO has simply been selling too slowly overall this year for it to possibly turn itself around and become a major sales force. It will be moderately successful in the U.S., UK, and other more Xbox-friendly nations, but it will still be nothing short of an abject failure everywhere else. The vast majority of Xbox sales derive from the U.S. & UK (over 70% of the global total so far), and that is no way to build a strong global brand. The Xbox One is quite simply not doing well in terms of global sales, and it'll be lucky to sell half of what the 360 did lifetime.

Nice analysis. I think whether the X1 can come close to how its predecessor has performed really comes down to whether MS can deliver on the games in terms of diversity. However, the X1's lineup is surprisingly dry from January to September 2015. Meanwhile, the PS4 has 3 exclusives locked down in that time period: Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, and MLB 15: The Show. The PS4 might get more exclusives released during that timeframe, especially the big indies like Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and No Man's Sky. The X1's biggest hitting exclusives are consolidated to the September to end of December timeframe. While this is a smart idea, Sony will undoubtedly go as hard as MS. As a result, MS can't just rely on fall and winter.

Panama said:
MS should probably just focus on outselling the Wii U at the moment.

They don't need to focus on something that's inevitable.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)