By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Xbox One could hit its stride in 2015

Using ps3 comeback as a possible comeback for xbox one is just saying xbox one has a chance at selling better than ps4 in Europe. PS3 never came back in US and UK and still managed to get on par to 360 thanks to the rest of the world and Japan. Xbox one doesn't have a chance in those territories so practically they need to crush ps4 in US and Uk to have a chance at outselling it which IMO is practically impossible. I'm not saying xbox won't sell well but a comeback, maybe next gen if there's one.

Around the Network

Microsoft seems to be doing a lot of things right with the one for the past couple of months. From their monthly updates to the Xbox one to their name bundles and buy our system get a free ga!e deals back in September. I feel its to early to say whether or not the ps4 will keep its lead. What I do know is that Microsoft has a lot of good shit coming. Also compa ing how the ps3 caught up to the 360 vs the current One and ps4 situation is very reasonable given anything can happen.

Touching article. Though there are somethings wrong with it. Some slight but vital points that they just seem to be missing.

- Firstly, the xbox brand is not the playstation brand. And since they mentioned the PS3 being neck and neck with the XB1, that must mean they are also looking at global sales. On that note, XB1 is dead in europe. And europe is solely responsible for why the PS3 caught up with the 360. The PS3 still lost woefully in NA. Xbox home territory. And this gen its so far been losing there.

- In 2015, in addition to all those great multiplatform games that they mention (which will at least be perceived to have the PS4 versions being the better one) the PS4 will also have its on batch of exclusives.

- And this is one IGN of all places should have known. The Playstation brand has never been about any one major exclusive or franchise. Its not like the xbox that pretty much has Halo and everything else or nintendo that will always have a mario or zelda. The playstation is about ton of exclusive games that appeals to a ton of varying audiences. To better put this into perspective, Gran Turismo is the only playstation franchise that will be on every playstation console.

- Then lets talk about fumbling the ball. Last gen, the race was also sony's to loose and what did they do? they made a $600 console, that was $300 more expensive than their competitions console. They made an overly complex system that was a bitch to develop for and had the more expensive console performing worse. They had a network service that paled in comparison to their competition. Now the XB1, they haven't really done much wrong besides having a slightly less powerful console and horrible initial goals. The first part they can never really fix and the second part the have rectified. But public perception is still that the PS4 is better and more powerful. And there is nothing MS can do that will make anyone that already feels that way think differently.

the-pi-guy said:
Xbox One is doing very well, (at least it did during the holidays) but the fact that the PS4 is doing so much better means that people are just not happy with it.
I have no idea how well the Xbox One will do lifetime, but it can still do very well do 80 million again, or it might flop and do 20 million.
I wish both consoles the best, but it's hard to say how good the One will do.

50 million is guaranteed. I don't see 80 mil happening :(

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

All 3 consoles will hit their respective strides next year

All 3 will be up YOY by quite a bit

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
kinisking said:

50 million is guaranteed. I don't see 80 mil happening :(

Nothing is guaranteed except 5 million.  

Come January, I think we will have a much better idea of how the Xbox One will do, but at the moment I think its best hope is whether it does good sales during the holidays.  If it can't do that, then 30 million would become more likely than 50 million.  

But we will see.

Although true, I really think Xbox one can do at least 50 million. But I agree. 

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

where did ign get that the single stand-alone xone version of destiny sold better than the ps4 stand alone? every best seller list ive seen had the ps4 single over the xone at that time in sept...(their source toastyboy?)..maybe they're correct??but the fact that the bundle is left out(as admitted) is beyond silly and cherry picking. if their source is npc than ok,but im doubting thats true

not surprised that sunset overdrive is on a ms system,isnt sony paying them to do another ratchet? (fuse was already on a ms system as multiplat),i didnt think sony was gonna publish every new idea insomniac comes up with,especially with insomniac having a number of games in a row that didnt sell to well for sony. as much as i like them,im surprised sonys doing another ratchet game... by the time fuse was being bounced around,i bet sony didnt sweat much that it was gonna be on another console,and had no problem letting ea publish it instead.. if quantic dreams do a few games that sell mediocre as well,they''ll go multiplat also,it happens.

and those sales for xone are heavily front loaded with their very successful launch compared to the 360... xone wont hold that lead for long over 360

larrysdirtydrawss said:

where did ign get that the single stand-alone xone version of destiny sold better than the ps4 stand alone? every best seller list ive seen had the ps4 single over the xone at that time in sept...(their source toastyboy?)..maybe they're correct??but the fact that the bundle is left out(as admitted) is beyond silly and cherry picking. if their source is npc than ok,but im doubting thats true

not surprised that sunset overdrive is on a ms system,isnt sony paying them to do another ratchet? (fuse was already on a ms system as multiplat),i didnt think sony was gonna publish every new idea insomniac comes up with,especially with insomniac having a number of games in a row that didnt sell to well for sony. as much as i like them,im surprised sonys doing another ratchet game... by the time fuse was being bounced around,i bet sony didnt sweat much that it was gonna be on another console,and had no problem letting ea publish it instead.. if quantic dreams do a few games that sell mediocre as well,they''ll go multiplat also,it happens.

and those sales for xone are heavily front loaded with their very successful launch compared to the 360... xone wont hold that lead for long over 360

NPD said Destiny sold better on X1 compared to PS4 if you don't include copies sold with the Destiny bundle. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I hate it when people try and say that the Xbox One is outpacing the 360. It's not, it launched better but has since fallen on it's face.

Up to October 7th the Xbox 360 had sold 3.66 million consoles in 2006. The Xbox One as of October 4th has sold 2.85 million consoles in 2014.

A gap of more than 800K consoles. The Xbox One will need to sell nearly 4 million consoles between now and the end of the year to make up that gap by the end of the year.

IGN stahhp

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

IGN; the new-ish Polygon?