By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Update: I love MS chat support.

Euphoria14 said:

Or you could have just said "I called already and we did these steps. They do not work. What would be the next step after this?"

That way you bypass all that stuff you already did, but instead you went along with it and decided to be a sarcastic jerk throughout. Even going so far as making a stink about who develops Halo and making him out to be incompetant.

It could have been avoided. Plus I doubt he was the same person you talked to the other time, so no shit he tried the same steps.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, I told him I did all of the same troubleshooting already. His solution was literally lets do it all again.

I wasn't a saracstic throughout the entire chat. Only at the end and that wrapped it up quick!

Again, being rude actually got me where we should have started.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:

There is never a time when you need to be rude when seeking support.  I can tell you once you cross that bridge if you thought you were not getting help, you just killed it.  Instead you have to do the opposite.  Be very polite implore the person to do everything he or she can and ask them to go the extra mile.  You will find out tech reps are more than willing to help somone like that out and will go the extra mile to help out.

Having worked in tech support and even doing time as a MS tech support way back in the day, I have some insight for you.  They were not making you do useless stuff.  Most support cannot rely on the customer to actually have performed the basic troubleshooting steps needed to resolve issues, even if they are technical.  If MS support is like I remember, each call is logged and all steps are traked within the call.  If the issue get esculated, the person who gets the issue will review those notes so they know they do not need to cover those steps again.  The problem I see is that the issue did not get esculated.  

Were you just calling in and getting different people or did you get a issue number so that you can have the person on the other end reference your issue so that you would not have to go through the basics steps each time.  Hopfully you were civil thoughout the whole process.

They weren't going the extra mile for me, they wanted me to do the same crap over and over.

If I tell them I already called MS and did those steps the solution isn't do it again.

Frankly, if I wasn't rude useless troubleshooting for what appears to be a potential bug would have continued.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

While that guy didn't seem very knowledgeable you could've approached the matter more tactfully. Imagine having to deal with customers like you all day every day. Do you think that would be fun?

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Imaginedvl said:

Exactly what I was thinking. When you started to talk about Phil Spencer, I almost stopped to read... 
The support guy is supporting the Xbox One system itself and the question about the game dev. was fair and the guy was just trying to help the way he could with the tools  available to him. Going in jerk mode like this is not really helping.

In any case, weird problem. One thing you can try is to download it from somewhere else. I know it may not be that easy but at least you'll know for sure if the problem is coming from the internet connexion or not.

I don't think that makes much sense considering I've downloaded many files on Xbox One already.

The bandwidth usage also shows a lot of data is transfering but the download itself keeps resetting to 31%.

As I was sleeping the X1 bandwidth usage says over 25GB downloaded. Yet the download has stayed the same. I've cancelled and restarted the download multiple times and it gets stuck at 31% every time. Doesn't that seem like a bug?

Recently Completed

Ninsect said:
While that guy didn't seem very knowledgeable you could've approached the matter more tactfully. Imagine having to deal with customers like you all day every day. Do you think that would be fun?

Tact went out of the window after about an hour and this is the second person I dealt with.

They don't even listen to your specific problem, it all basic troubleshooting that I already did multiple times. Even with MS support.

The chat should have been like 2 minutes. "Oh, you did all this useless troubleshooting with MS support already? Okay, send your console here..."

Recently Completed

Around the Network

Wow that's terrible. Their chat support can be both good and bad. Once I got a really good lady that helped but other times, they have been useless.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

The best thing to do would've probably been to ask to talk to a manager after you had told them you had already performed the steps multiple times with another MS tech. The problem seems to lie in the fact that he did not escalate the issue. I'm not sure if those guys even CAN escalate, but a manager could've answered those questions for you.

I've worked CS before and I was never mad when someone wanted to talk to a manager, usually because I knew I had done everything possible to resolve the issue.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Mr Puggsly said:
Machiavellian said:

There is never a time when you need to be rude when seeking support.  I can tell you once you cross that bridge if you thought you were not getting help, you just killed it.  Instead you have to do the opposite.  Be very polite implore the person to do everything he or she can and ask them to go the extra mile.  You will find out tech reps are more than willing to help somone like that out and will go the extra mile to help out.

Having worked in tech support and even doing time as a MS tech support way back in the day, I have some insight for you.  They were not making you do useless stuff.  Most support cannot rely on the customer to actually have performed the basic troubleshooting steps needed to resolve issues, even if they are technical.  If MS support is like I remember, each call is logged and all steps are traked within the call.  If the issue get esculated, the person who gets the issue will review those notes so they know they do not need to cover those steps again.  The problem I see is that the issue did not get esculated.  

Were you just calling in and getting different people or did you get a issue number so that you can have the person on the other end reference your issue so that you would not have to go through the basics steps each time.  Hopfully you were civil thoughout the whole process.

They weren't going the extra mile for me, they wanted me to do the same crap over and over.

If I tell them I already called MS and did those steps the solution isn't do it again.

Frankly, if I wasn't rude useless troubleshooting for what appears to be a potential bug would have continued.

Of course they were not going the extra mile because attitude makes a big difference if the rep on the other end wants to bother.  Since I can only go by your chat message, it appears that maybe you did not have the right attitude when you approached support.

Here is the thing about telling support you did something, most times customers just lie.  If there is no record of the previous call, then its hard for the rep to just take your word for it.  Customer lie about stuff like that all the time and its one of the most fustrating thing when doing support.  You believe the customer and eliminate those steps only have to come back later and find out it fixes the problem.  Way to many times I have had this problem when I was in support.  Also not sure why you think Nat settings and checking port forward are useless because those are legit reasons why you can have download issues.  

No, getting rude did not help the situation more than being polite.  Tech reps shut down when customers get rude and most times they want to now get you off the phone then actually help.  So instead of the rep thinging, I want to do whatever it takes to help this guy, instead they are thinking I want to do whatever it takes to get this guy off the phone.  So while you think you were getting progress, in reality, you just made the rep want to end the call and care less about your issue.

One thing to take away from this problem is to get a issue number from support if the problem was not fixed.  The support rep should be logging the issue with an ID.  Also good to ask for esculation if the problem was not fixed.  This would require someone to call you back but at least that second tier support should have much better understanding of whats needed for testing.

Machiavellian said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Tech reps shut down when customers get rude and most times they want to now get you off the phone then actually help.

And I shut down when customer support sends me to the Bungie website for help with Halo:MCC downloading.

Frankly, that's when I lost my shit. It became clear how useless this person is going to be for troubleshooting my specific problem.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Imaginedvl said:

Exactly what I was thinking. When you started to talk about Phil Spencer, I almost stopped to read... 
The support guy is supporting the Xbox One system itself and the question about the game dev. was fair and the guy was just trying to help the way he could with the tools  available to him. Going in jerk mode like this is not really helping.

In any case, weird problem. One thing you can try is to download it from somewhere else. I know it may not be that easy but at least you'll know for sure if the problem is coming from the internet connexion or not.

I don't think that makes much sense considering I've downloaded many files on Xbox One already.

The bandwidth usage also shows a lot of data is transfering but the download itself keeps resetting to 31%.

As I was sleeping the X1 bandwidth usage says over 25GB downloaded. Yet the download has stayed the same. I've cancelled and restarted the download multiple times and it gets stuck at 31% every time. Doesn't that seem like a bug?

Definitely seem like a bug but what I'm saying is that by downloading the file from another location and getting the same issue (or not), it will at least help you find out where is the issue. Is it your connection or something specific to your home configuration or not for instance.

Another thing you can try if you have a USB Harddrive, is to download it another location (instead of the internal HDD).