By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is 2014 the least impressive year in gaming history?

I think 2013 was worst imo, but 2014 has been good so far. This year I got Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright:Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright:Ace Attorney trilogy, Captain Toad, Story of Seasons, Persona Q and a bunch of other 3DS games.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:
Mummelmann said:

There are still great games being made, just pretty few of them compared to earlier generations, in my opinion. This is mostly a problem for console games and the 7th gen turned me more or less completely away from console gaming due to all the overhyped, shallow, poorly written games riddled with QTE's, handholding-mechanics and ridiculous lack of originality and thought. I wrote a rather extensive post on that very subject in the UNITY thread, actually.

If you have ten minutes some day, here you go; http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5895729

I don't think that has been a problem for consoles, the exclusives and certain multiplats were amazing. Each year had some of them, but compared to that 2014 has indeed been rather underwhelming.n But next year things might change.

That's fine but I think it has been a problem; it's all my subjective opinion on the 7th gen, read the long post if you want a more filled answer as to where my displeasure comes from.

I just don't appreciate the overall direction the gaming industry took in the 7th gen; focusing on superficial polish, trophies and achievements, screwing single player over multiplayer, DLC up the wazoo and often on day one, paid online, simplified mechanics and removing depth from strategy games and RPG's, almost no progress with AI etc.

I am quite simply not happy about the 7th gen, and especially on consoles. Saying that "the exclusives and certain multiplats were amazing" is your subjective opinion though, and that is your right. Sure, there were some exclusives that were brilliant but most were riddled with the above mentioned issues for me and most multiplats were mainstream borefests that set out to milk franchises to death (Call of Duty, Need for Speed, FIFA, Madden, Assassin's Creed etc.).

Heck; even some of my favorite franchises were butchered in the 7th gen, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy were both massive letdowns for me.

Fusioncode said:

Well at least in recent memory. With the two most exciting new IPs this year turning out to be major disappointments, pretty much everything interesting getting delayed to 2015, and a generally meh output from both Sony and Microsoft in terms of exclusives, this year is kind of sucking for gaming.  

2013 had The Last of Us, GTAV, and Bioshock Infinite. 2012 had Mass Effect 3, Journey, and Dishonored. 2011 had Dark Souls, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Portal 2, and a fuckton of other amazing games. 

2014 has... 

Bayonetta 2. You need to try it!

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Mummelmann said:
GTAexpert said:
Mummelmann said:

There are still great games being made, just pretty few of them compared to earlier generations, in my opinion. This is mostly a problem for console games and the 7th gen turned me more or less completely away from console gaming due to all the overhyped, shallow, poorly written games riddled with QTE's, handholding-mechanics and ridiculous lack of originality and thought. I wrote a rather extensive post on that very subject in the UNITY thread, actually.

If you have ten minutes some day, here you go; http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5895729

I don't think that has been a problem for consoles, the exclusives and certain multiplats were amazing. Each year had some of them, but compared to that 2014 has indeed been rather underwhelming.n But next year things might change.

That's fine but I think it has been a problem; it's all my subjective opinion on the 7th gen, read the long post if you want a more filled answer as to where my displeasure comes from.

I just don't appreciate the overall direction the gaming industry took in the 7th gen; focusing on superficial polish, trophies and achievements, screwing single player over multiplayer, DLC up the wazoo and often on day one, paid online, simplified mechanics and removing depth from strategy games and RPG's, almost no progress with AI etc.

I am quite simply not happy about the 7th gen, and especially on consoles. Saying that "the exclusives and certain multiplats were amazing" is your subjective opinion though, and that is your right. Sure, there were some exclusives that were brilliant but most were riddled with the above mentioned issues for me and most multiplats were mainstream borefests that set out to milk franchises to death (Call of Duty, Need for Speed, FIFA, Madden, Assassin's Creed etc.).

Heck; even some of my favorite franchises were butchered in the 7th gen, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy were both massive letdowns for me.

There is so much wrong with your post I don't know where to start. Sony didn't start the focus on online, MS did. Sony followed only because they wouldn't have stood a chance against MS in the console gaming sphere if they had not tried to serve the gamers who only play online. They are by far the vast majority of console gamers and Sony needed to cater to them. Increasing internet adoption rate and growing internet speeds only further established these gamers.

Also, I don't know much about Final Fantasy, but you are definitely very wrong about GT.

"Gran Turismo 5 finally showed up and presented me with a really poor physics model, horrible sound design and less customization than the previous installment and removed some of the greatest tracks. Oh, and it started focusing a lot more on online as well, yay!"

So much wrong with this statement alone. You seriously think that GT5 has worse physics than GT4? Sorry to break it to ya, its far, far more realistic than that in GT4. GT6 improves the physics even further, and makes GT4 look like an arcade racer. As for sound design, it was always like that. GT5 is no better or worse than GT4 when it comes to sound design. Online focus has increased, but that is going with the times. Its not as if you can't enjoy GT5 offline, I very much did. The offline features have not been removed, only online ones added.

As for providing more SP focussed games, have you see the sales lately of SP games compared to MP games? In 2014, ISS on PS4 has sold a mere 1.80 million units, despite being an awesome game. Wolfenstein: The New Order isn't as awesome, and hasn't sold as much either, currently below just above a million units sold across 5 platforms. Compare that with Destiny or Titanfall, and you should understand why MP is the focus of developers.

RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:
I thought this was a really good year. Started well with Titanfall, then Watch Dogs was brilliant, Destiny not as good but still a solid new ip and of course plenty more still to come in the next couple of months.

That's the spirit. All you need to be happy is low standards.

Around the Network

Your 2012 and 2013 lists looks like shit to me.  Everyone has different tastes.  Worst year in gaming history?  What are you 14?  Why don't you try the video game crash year?  You should be forced to play E.T. on the 2600.

not if u own an xbox one

halo: mcc and forza horizon 2

thats what you get if you dont play nintendo games.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Its a good year if you have a WiiU. PS4 not so much.

kljesta64 said:
thats what you get if you dont play nintendo games.

If you only play Nintendo games its even worse.