By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hyrule Warriors Might Have A Chance to Become the Best Selling DW Game in the US! (If Not Top 3 of the Series)

forest-spirit said:
If Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda game...then I have to wonder what the heck these Legend of Zelda games are that I've been playing for 15 years. Their nothing alike!

On a more serious note, I'm happy about the game doing well in the US (and Europe afaik) as I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Might even try some other Musou games.

All direct comparison are off to be honest. People shouldn't really be argueing the semantics by this point, you're either interested in comparing the two or you're not. 

I completely understand what the OP is doing and its an interesting comparison, but its also a tad unfair for obvious reasons. But equally its most definitely not a real ''Zelda'' game and is essentially DW with Zelda Skins and some unique features.

Around the Network

No point in comparing it to One Piece and Gundam spin-offs though. There are no set precedents for Gundam or One Piece games. When you say Gundam or One Piece games the only requirement is that their characters and other things specific ot the manga and anime are in there. Nothing else, they are pretty much blank slates as far as game design goes. Whereas Zelda is an established game franchise. A mainline Zelda game has specific gameplay features and are expected.

You might as well compare mainline Zelda games with something like Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, given the fact that it isn't made by the Zelda teams, or has similar gameplay.

I'm not sure why people would be comparing a spin-off to sales of a mainline franchise to begin with.

Besides, I thought the point of this whole Hyrule Warriors thing was to make Dynasty Warriors style gameplay more palatable to the West, that Koei was using it as their gateway into the Western market. No source on that, but was just a feeling.

Mnementh said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:
Well deserved. Hope it continues to do well. I can honestly say that it has become one of my favourite games of all time. I haven't had so much fun and put so many hours in a single game in a few short weeks...
It is so addicting, and so good.

It makes me want to try out other Warriors games, does anybody know if there are any others on Wii U?

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper Edition

Warriors Orochi 3 is hard to recommend to newcomers. It's the 3rd part and it features many fighters from Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors and other Warriors Games. So it's hard to follow the story, if you haven't at least played some Warriors games. However, if you don't care about the story then get it. The gameplay is like usuall.

I would recommend Samurai Warriors Chronicles. It's on the 3DS and not the WiiU. However, you learn something about japanese history and the touch control is used to switch the active fighter.

LurkerJ said:
It's the same game. They were all made by the same developer. The comparison is valid. I hate the attention HW gets.

I look forward to the re-release of the wonderful 101 with Mario being the main character. Redesign splatoon characters while you are at it, Nintendo.

Couldn't hurt. and W101 definitely deserves more sales.

teigaga said:
forest-spirit said:
If Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda game...then I have to wonder what the heck these Legend of Zelda games are that I've been playing for 15 years. Their nothing alike!

On a more serious note, I'm happy about the game doing well in the US (and Europe afaik) as I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Might even try some other Musou games.

All direct comparison are off to be honest. People shouldn't really be argueing the semantics by this point, you're either interested in comparing the two or you're not. 

I completely understand what the OP is doing and its an interesting comparison, but its also a tad unfair for obvious reasons. But equally its most definitely not a real ''Zelda'' game and is essentially DW with Zelda Skins and some unique features.

Sure it can be seen as unfair but fairness isn't a requirement when making comparisons. If it was we would barely be able to make any comparisons at all due to advantages/disantvantages such as marketing, userbase, market changes etc.

Hyrule Warriors is a Warriors game and so it makes the most sense to compare it to other Warriors games. The inclusion of Zelda lore doesn't change that, though one has to remember that all comparisons are essentially useless if you just compare without doing any kind of analysis and so the power of the Zelda brand should be taken into consideration when looking at the results.

Around the Network
TheSpindler said:

Besides, I thought the point of this whole Hyrule Warriors thing was to make Dynasty Warriors style gameplay more palatable to the West, that Koei was using it as their gateway into the Western market. No source on that, but was just a feeling.

I think that was the goal, although I don't find any official source to that, but it seems obvious. And the sales comparison tbone makes is for that reason very relevant, because it shows if that strategy is successful or not.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Guys, can't we just agree that we're comparing a Warriors (musou) game to anpther Warriors (musou) game?

hentai_11 said:
Mnementh said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:
Well deserved. Hope it continues to do well. I can honestly say that it has become one of my favourite games of all time. I haven't had so much fun and put so many hours in a single game in a few short weeks...
It is so addicting, and so good.

It makes me want to try out other Warriors games, does anybody know if there are any others on Wii U?

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper Edition

Warriors Orochi 3 is hard to recommend to newcomers. It's the 3rd part and it features many fighters from Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors and other Warriors Games. So it's hard to follow the story, if you haven't at least played some Warriors games. However, if you don't care about the story then get it. The gameplay is like usuall.

I would recommend Samurai Warriors Chronicles. It's on the 3DS and not the WiiU. However, you learn something about japanese history and the touch control is used to switch the active fighter.

I had no too big problems with the story. It is explained in the initial cutscene: they fought Orochi before (probably in Warriors Orochi 1 and 2) and now it comes back. Well.

My bigger problem is, that in difference to Hyrule Warriors I have difficulties in navigating the level, because to me much looks very similar. The level-design in Hyrule Warriors is a bit better, so that I can recognize different parts of the level by loking at it. maybe it is only because I played it not so much so far, probably that gets better with more playtime.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Nice. I'm on the fence to buy this, Captain Toad and Smash U.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Mnementh said:
pokoko said:
Shouldn't the comparison be with other Zelda games? I mean, that's the reason most people bought it.

I don't know what you saw, but all the advertisement I saw stated clearly it was a Warriors game in the zelda universe, not a zelda game.

Do you fear the next Dynasty/Samurai Warriors /Orochi on PS4 will sell worse and proactively spin?

What the hell are you talking about?