By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBox 360 Exclusives of 2008

shio said:
Squilliam said:

This site deals with economics and behavioural analysis on a daily or weekly basis. It is typical when doing this type of analysis to control the independant variables other than the ones being analysed. Because it is unknown how the PC market specifically effects the PS3 or the Wii and even the Xbox360.

Your line of thought is wrong: we are not dealing with variables, but constants... each game takes a single True or False value on "Is it X360 exclusive?". You can't have it both ways as it would disrupt the real definition of exclusive.

Squilliam said:

As the OP said, this is a tool for Xbox360 owners or people with an interest in purchasing/comparing an Xbox360 and want to know about what games are incoming for the system.

So what about PC gamers who want to see what X360 has to offer compared to PC? They will either get plastered bythe so-called PC/360 "exclusives", or they won't notice the small prints and convince themselves that games like Age of Conan are 360 only.

What is the real reason why PC isn't considered as a gaming platform here? Is it for 360 gamers wanting to get "exclusives" leverage over PS3 owners? If anything, PC is alot more alike to X360 than the PS3 is. Both share similar architecture, both have an unusual overlap of games, both have superior online services compared to the other platforms. X360 is the closest thing the PC has as a rival.

And the funny part is, I've heard so many 360/PS3 gamers say that PC is dieing and that all the gamers are switching to the Xbox 360 and PS3 (even though it's BS). So tell me, if many X360 owners consider the PC as a rival platform, why would they be permissive in loosening the term "exclusive" to include PC games? 

Squilliam said:

The people who have a PC are obviously intelligent enough that when they read the thread they can self-select for themselves games that they know they won't play on the Xbox360 anyway. So why is it an issue from this perspective when the OP makes it specifically clear which games are fully exclusive and which games are split between the PC/Xbox360?

One looking at how the list is structured, it's hard to notice which are the real exclusives and which are PC/360. There is no difference in both, except the adding of "/PC" that is completely drowned on green.

And it's not about just that. What is in the OP is like when some people just keep saying how Wii is not "next-gen" because it doesn't support HD. It's totally disregarding a valid platform for the sake of their own e-penises.

Squilliam said:

For people using this thread as a tool for comparison between the Xbox360 and the PS3 the PC is usually excluded, and for good reason.

What about people trying to use this thread as a comparison between the Wii and the Xbox 360? What happens to those PS3/360 "exclusives" that are not on the list? The PS3 would have to be excluded too, so in that case you could add those PS3/360 multiplats to the list?

Squilliam said:

Besides anything else, arguing semantics here is bad form. Why don't you take the debate somewhere else, like another thread if you're interested in discussing it. Its not appropriate to do so here, since the OP has laid the ground rules and put in many hours of effort to give us all this tool to use.

I'm not doubting the effort the OP made with the thread, but the truth is PC/360 is NOT exclusive, unless you gang up PC and 360 against the rest.

One word for OP: I'm not asking you to remove the semi-exclusives, though it would be the most accurate thing to do. But how about splitting the list into 2 lists: the first for the real exclusives, and the second for the PC/360 games. Atleast it would make things more noticeable.

To qoute an earlier poster: CLAP CLAP CLAP. Thank you for putting this eloquently.

Also, to the person that said most people that have an issue with the 360/PC "Exclusive" issue dont own 360's, look right here, I bought my 360 before my Wii, PS3 or PC, I however do not concider Gears of War, the Halo Franchise or Mass Effect as exclusives for the system, because they are on the computer, and better on the computer.

The sad fact is, the OP or any other 360 fan wont post a list of 360 only exclusives because it would be pathetically short and sadly lacking in quality.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

Around the Network
naznatips said:

Anyway, perhaps you guys are right that this argument has been taken too far. I'm sorry for taking so much of your time and your topic.  I would still at some point appreciate you separating the PC multiplats, but I won't continue to debate the point.  I appologize for being so aggressive with my opinions on the matter, and I hope there aren't too many hard feelings.

Naz I want you to see this through my eyes. I work very hard on this list. Regardless of people's feelings, I did go out of my way to make my position clear in the OP, and I do label 360/PC games as such. If a list seperation would help people out more then that's what i'll do, because that's why I made this thread. Why should I have to defend this list every time I make an update? Go back through the topic and see how many people, even the same people, make the same repeat arguments. I don't think it should be allowed for troublemakers to come in to simply stir up trouble, regardless if their arguments have some merit. You can see the difference too. Look at people like shio, king of wale, and obieslut. You can tell they want to start arguments in here. They will repeat arguments that have already been discussed and explained.

I made this list in the beginning of the year, because it seemed almost no one had any idea what games were coming out for the 360. You remember the argument, "360 has no games this year". I knew this wasn't true, and I didn't want that kind of disinformation clouding the forums and affecting puchasing decisions. The topic "Which should I buy 360 or PS3?" comes out three times a week on these forums and the two lists provide a great service to those people. How many times have you had the topic "Which should I get a 360 or PC upgrade?". It doesn't happen very often, thus making a list to cater to those few people just doesn't make sense. What nobody knows is, I also had every intention of then making the PS3 list too as the counterpoint to this list, but right after I finished the list makingmusic decided he would take the honors, which I greatly appreciate.

Just FYI, arcade cabinets are gaming platforms. They are just more closed than consoles are usually. However most arcade games that can share controls usually have multiple titles that can be housed in the cabinet. The technology inside are usually referred to as "boards" and different cartridges, which are normally the size of a Wii can be placed inside. This is how you can see an Xmen vs. Street Fighter playing in a Marvel Superheroes cabinet. If you remember the NeoGeo, it was actually an arcade machine brought home to be played on your TV. All of those same titles could be swapped out on an SNK arcade cabinet. Also, the Dreamcast was based off Naomi board tech and that's how so many arcade ports were released so quickly and in such great shape. Tekken 6 may be one game right now, but Namco may make a new fighter for that tech which can be purchased without the cabinet but can be inserted into the Tekken 6 cabinet itself.

Thanks for understanding at least partially where I'm coming from.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

naznatips said:
heruamon said:
naznatips said:
heruamon said:
For all those who say PC/360 games aren't exclusive, does that mean God of War game will not be considered a PS3 exclusive...or any games on PS2/PS3...

What are you talking about?  Each God of War game has been exclusive to an individual platofrm.  God of War and God of War 2 are PS2 exclusives.  God of War: Chains of Olympus is PSP exclusive. God of War 3 is PS3 exclusive.  Each game is on only one platform. 

Sorry I know I said I wouldn't continue the debate but this guy's post is just pure misinformation.

What's there to debate, if God of War 3 is only on the PS3, it is what it is, but I thought I'd read it was coming to the PS2 as well.  That still didn't answer the question I asked?

That's because you didn't give an example.  I can though: MLB 08 is on the PS3, PS2, and PSP, and no, it's not exclusive.

Aaahh...I guess that's a difference of corporate strategies.  M$ ported Halo over to the PC, so I guess it's not an exclusive either.  Well, M$ is mroe concerned about maximizing profits and boosting the EDD, while Sony is ???  Boosting blu-ray???  Anyway, guess Xbox doesn't really have many if any true exclusives then, since M$ will certianly look to port too Human and others, Alan Wake onto the PC when they get a chance...they are such slaves to the profits...no sense of purity!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
naznatips said:
heruamon said:
naznatips said:
heruamon said:
For all those who say PC/360 games aren't exclusive, does that mean God of War game will not be considered a PS3 exclusive...or any games on PS2/PS3...

What are you talking about? Each God of War game has been exclusive to an individual platofrm. God of War and God of War 2 are PS2 exclusives. God of War: Chains of Olympus is PSP exclusive. God of War 3 is PS3 exclusive. Each game is on only one platform.

Sorry I know I said I wouldn't continue the debate but this guy's post is just pure misinformation.

What's there to debate, if God of War 3 is only on the PS3, it is what it is, but I thought I'd read it was coming to the PS2 as well. That still didn't answer the question I asked?

That's because you didn't give an example. I can though: MLB 08 is on the PS3, PS2, and PSP, and no, it's not exclusive.

Aaahh...I guess that's a difference of corporate strategies. M$ ported Halo over to the PC, so I guess it's not an exclusive either. Well, M$ is mroe concerned about maximizing profits and boosting the EDD, while Sony is ??? Boosting blu-ray??? Anyway, guess Xbox doesn't really have many if any true exclusives then, since M$ will certianly look to port too Human and others, Alan Wake onto the PC when they get a chance...they are such slaves to the profits...no sense of purity!

I can guarantee you that Sony and Nintendo are equally "slaves to the profit."  They do not choose to not port games to PC out of a sense of putiry, but rather attempt to boost their profits through additional console sales instead of game sales.

|_emmiwinks said:

To qoute an earlier poster: CLAP CLAP CLAP. Thank you for putting this eloquently.

Also, to the person that said most people that have an issue with the 360/PC "Exclusive" issue dont own 360's, look right here, I bought my 360 before my Wii, PS3 or PC, I however do not concider Gears of War, the Halo Franchise or Mass Effect as exclusives for the system, because they are on the computer, and better on the computer.

The sad fact is, the OP or any other 360 fan wont post a list of 360 only exclusives because it would be pathetically short and sadly lacking in quality.

There's actually 23 360-only exclusives coming out this year at retail and another 33 XBLA-only exclusives. I can't comment on quality because one man's trash is another man's treasure, but there actually is a sizeable quantity of 360-only games on this list. So I don't think the phrase "pathetically short" is very valid. There are more 360-only exclusives than there are PS3 exclusives. Would you consider the PS3 exclusives list pathetically short also? I wouldn't.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
De85 said:
heruamon said:
naznatips said:
heruamon said:
naznatips said:
heruamon said:

What are you talking about? Each God of War game has been exclusive to an individual platofrm. God of War and God of War 2 are PS2 exclusives. God of War: Chains of Olympus is PSP exclusive. God of War 3 is PS3 exclusive. Each game is on only one platform.

What's there to debate, if God of War 3 is only on the PS3, it is what it is, but I thought I'd read it was coming to the PS2 as well. That still didn't answer the question I asked?

That's because you didn't give an example. I can though: MLB 08 is on the PS3, PS2, and PSP, and no, it's not exclusive.

Aaahh...I guess that's a difference of corporate strategies. M$ ported Halo over to the PC, so I guess it's not an exclusive either. Well, M$ is mroe concerned about maximizing profits and boosting the EDD, while Sony is ??? Boosting blu-ray??? Anyway, guess Xbox doesn't really have many if any true exclusives then, since M$ will certianly look to port too Human and others, Alan Wake onto the PC when they get a chance...they are such slaves to the profits...no sense of purity!

I can guarantee you that Sony and Nintendo are equally "slaves to the profit."  They do not choose to not port games to PC out of a sense of putiry, but rather attempt to boost their profits through additional console sales instead of game sales.

Wink Wink!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

shio said:
Squilliam said:

This site deals with economics and behavioural analysis on a daily or weekly basis. It is typical when doing this type of analysis to control the independant variables other than the ones being analysed. Because it is unknown how the PC market specifically effects the PS3 or the Wii and even the Xbox360.

Your line of thought is wrong: we are not dealing with variables, but constants... each game takes a single True or False value on "Is it X360 exclusive?". You can't have it both ways as it would disrupt the real definition of exclusive.

We aren't dealing with constants. Its all in shades of grey. The term exclusive means different things to different people when they look through the lens of their own perspective. People who are PC gamers have a different perspective to people who aren't. You can't nail down a definition for exclusivity because different people have different perspectives and valid insights into their own expectations and desires. From the angle of someone wishing to compare console to console, the term "exclusive" is strictly valid from that perspective. Furthermore this whole thread is designed for people making comparisions from THAT perspective, so therefore using the term "exclusive" in this context is correct.

Squilliam said:

As the OP said, this is a tool for Xbox360 owners or people with an interest in purchasing/comparing an Xbox360 and want to know about what games are incoming for the system.

So what about PC gamers who want to see what X360 has to offer compared to PC? They will either get plastered bythe so-called PC/360 "exclusives", or they won't notice the small prints and convince themselves that games like Age of Conan are 360 only.

They can see quite plainly can't they? They can see the words "Pc/Xbox360" written under the games. Its asinine to assume ignorance, especially from as PC gamers are used to reading the fine print on the back of game boxes.

What is the real reason why PC isn't considered as a gaming platform here? Is it for 360 gamers wanting to get "exclusives" leverage over PS3 owners? If anything, PC is alot more alike to X360 than the PS3 is. Both share similar architecture, both have an unusual overlap of games, both have superior online services compared to the other platforms. X360 is the closest thing the PC has as a rival.

I think you've missed the point here, I don't think anyone here would ever say that the PC is NOT a valid gaming platform. I have my own PC - 2.4ghz C2D, 3gb Ram, 8800gt etc, and I intend to play every game I can on it. This thread is a tool for those wishing to look at the offerings of a console. Its made from the perspective of a PS3 vs Xbox360 comparison, not including PC games is also making an assumption that people who are making the comparison are willing and or able to use a PC to play these games on.

And the funny part is, I've heard so many 360/PS3 gamers say that PC is dieing and that all the gamers are switching to the Xbox 360 and PS3 (even though it's BS). So tell me, if many X360 owners consider the PC as a rival platform, why would they be permissive in loosening the term "exclusive" to include PC games? 

PC gaming is thriving! Do you think im not a fan of the PC platform because I have TWO gaming PCs and I use one of them my multimedia centre. I've enjoyed Crysis on High on a 53" TV and because of it, I cannot be impressed by any console game from a technical perspective. Artistically yes I can apreciate good work there but the technical limitations are obvious to me.

This isn't about excluding the PC as a viable platform! Remember its all about perspective.

Squilliam said:

The people who have a PC are obviously intelligent enough that when they read the thread they can self-select for themselves games that they know they won't play on the Xbox360 anyway. So why is it an issue from this perspective when the OP makes it specifically clear which games are fully exclusive and which games are split between the PC/Xbox360?

One looking at how the list is structured, it's hard to notice which are the real exclusives and which are PC/360. There is no difference in both, except the adding of "/PC" that is completely drowned on green.

And it's not about just that. What is in the OP is like when some people just keep saying how Wii is not "next-gen" because it doesn't support HD. It's totally disregarding a valid platform for the sake of their own e-penises.

Its quite clear to me, so would it make you happier if Xbox360/PC games are coloured red? Would it make them stand out enough for people to take note of the differences? Its an easy fix and if it'd make more people happy I don't see why the OP can't make that simple change. Make it bolder/larger font. Whats the compromise to make you happy?

Squilliam said:

For people using this thread as a tool for comparison between the Xbox360 and the PS3 the PC is usually excluded, and for good reason.

What about people trying to use this thread as a comparison between the Wii and the Xbox 360? What happens to those PS3/360 "exclusives" that are not on the list? The PS3 would have to be excluded too, so in that case you could add those PS3/360 multiplats to the list?

That would be a further complication, but if you're dissatisfied then I'll work with you to create a thread thats more representative of the different markets. A sticky in the games section with PC/Wii/PS3/Xbox360 games and I would work with you on it if you want.  

Squilliam said:

Besides anything else, arguing semantics here is bad form. Why don't you take the debate somewhere else, like another thread if you're interested in discussing it. Its not appropriate to do so here, since the OP has laid the ground rules and put in many hours of effort to give us all this tool to use.

I'm not doubting the effort the OP made with the thread, but the truth is PC/360 is NOT exclusive, unless you gang up PC and 360 against the rest.

One word for OP: I'm not asking you to remove the semi-exclusives, though it would be the most accurate thing to do. But how about splitting the list into 2 lists: the first for the real exclusives, and the second for the PC/360 games. Atleast it would make things more noticeable.

Formatting would be difficult and it would hurt the ordering system hes got. My earlier point of just writing the title in a different colour would suffice to make it stand out right?

Tease.

heruamon said:
De85 said:
heruamon said:

I can guarantee you that Sony and Nintendo are equally "slaves to the profit." They do not choose to not port games to PC out of a sense of putiry, but rather attempt to boost their profits through additional console sales instead of game sales.

Wink Wink!

ahhhhhh.  gotcha.

Fanboys and their bullsh*t as always

I am really tired of reading some stupid comments in here i and am not going to waste more of my time to respond to some idiots in here either...

Better leave them in their ignorance and in their blind fanatism

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools because they have to say something." PLATO (428 BC-348 BC)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Predictions are never accurate and are a fanboys hobby...Never trust what fanboys say...

(i haven't read everything above just pieces of it but I have a few things to say.)

Everyone stop attacking the thread.

If you want to dispute the existance of a title on the list provide a source for your arguement (not a rumour source) such as from the developer or from a reputable site such as ign.

@ Onyxmeth

As far as the bickering about 360/pc I would like to suggest the adoption of sectioning such as that found in the ps3 exclusive thread.  In that thread ps3/pc games are under their own seperate heading (semi exclusives).  I would think that that would remove any fanboys ammo for attack.