By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Chinese console market to surpass Japanese?

If there is a 9th console generation maybe then. But not this gen. Certainly for Xb one China will be bigger than Japan. But then for Xb one New Zealand is likely to be bigger than Japan, so it's not really saying much.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

What a lot of people don't seem to realise is that China is not only attempting to become the world's biggest economy; they are also striving towards becoming the most self-sufficient economy. Look at the growth of companies such as Huawei, Sinopec and the massive growth in domestic banking and insurance services. ICBC is now the biggest company in the world and the two companies following on that list are also Chinese banking groups. Look at the company "Alibaba" which flew way past the likes of IBM and Facebook on its very first day of stock market exchange and manages about 80% of the country's online trade.

They started manufacturing their own rifles, fighter planes and tanks and they are ensuring every step of the way that they can stand on their own in almost all aspects of production and investment; like a continent on their own. They have also invested heavily in Africa, a lot more so than any country or interest in the West, all to ensure the future of their nation's economy and continued growth.

My point is this; should the console gaming market in China grow significantly; this will likely lead to the rise of domestic, major software developers and hardware of their own make and will probably not affect Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft that much. China has a very strained relation with Japan and the US, and unlike other countries where one can merely observe cultural bias and consumer preference; China has taken is several steps further in enforcing a government policy of downright forbidding or limiting the presence of many foreign products and services, making the law itself an inhibitor on growth from outside influence, this is a very deliberate action from China and all a part of the ambition of becoming the most powerful economy on earth, and one a lot less reliant on and/or impacted by international market fluctuations.

No matter what happens; it is highly unlikely that MS, Sony or Nintendo will ever make big bucks on selling games and consoles in China, MS are even having trouble maintaining the relevancy of Windows over there and Chinese officials outright banned Windows 8 from being distributed in China.

I think a lot of people underestimate the economy there.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

TheWPCTraveler said:
Chinese population: Japanese population ratio is roughly 11:1 at this point, and has a generally younger population.

this...

so don't be surprise even if it surpass it... 

It has potential.

Around the Network

It can be important enough to shake it up the charts once in a while

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Well since China hates Japan microsoft will become bigger in China than Japan which is nice and MS got that going for them. But I don't see China as the game changer which will threaten the PS4 domination.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

no chance.

The answer is no............for now at least.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Qwark said:
Well since China hates Japan microsoft will become bigger in China than Japan which is nice and MS got that going for them. But I don't see China as the game changer which will threaten the PS4 domination.

That would explain why the PS4 has a lot more favor in China.

http://kotaku.com/survey-says-chinese-gamers-more-interested-in-ps4-1604560549

Wait what?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.