By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SSB 3DS in Japa is the Biggest FW for Nintendo games since 1996 (excluding Pokemon). Also the Only 1mil FW as well.

Well done, Smash Bros!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

My goodness, did Tomodachi 3DS really sell 400k+ in it's first week in Japan? I don't even remember that.

Very interesting to see the ratio of 3DS games to all other platforms on that list. 3DS has faced extraordinarily harsh market conditions, unlike any other generation of hardware, and only now being in it's fourth year on the market, it has five of the highest FW debuts of any Nintendo games in Japan.

That is remarkable.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

WhiteEaglePL said:
I needs its!

Also....fantastic sales! Like, WOW! It freaking beat DS games...

And that is freakin' sweet!  Keep going 3DS.  Just keep going.

Lube Me Up

I don't understand how this will actually hurt the Wii U. For those of you who have not read up on reviews or whatnot, but the 3DS is not the definitive way of playing Smash Bros. After Japan plays and plays the 3DS version for months until November, the more and more they'll realize that a bigger and better Smash Bros. will be available in HD with GameCube controllers.

If anything, I see the early release of Smash Bros. 4 for 3DS is going to help the Wii U.

EpicLight said:
I don't understand how this will actually hurt the Wii U. For those of you who have not read up on reviews or whatnot, but the 3DS is not the definitive way of playing Smash Bros. After Japan plays and plays the 3DS version for months until November, the more and more they'll realize that a bigger and better Smash Bros. will be available in HD with GameCube controllers.

If anything, I see the early release of Smash Bros. 4 for 3DS is going to help the Wii U.

I agree entirely.  It's like an appetizer. Also, being only $39 for the handheld version, most customers are unlikely to feel like Nintendo is asking them to double dip.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network

Japan will save Nintendo. That company always returns to its homeland in defensive mode, and it works.

As for above, I don't think it will kill Wii U Smash sales, but it will affect console sales into Christmas. Wii U version will also take twice as long to get to a million.

When you compare Monster Hunter 3DS to Wii, the sales just spread about across platforms, which is maybe what we could see happen too.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

tbone51 said:
DélioPT said:
That's a lot!
If Japan hadn`t become a handheld country, the risk of hurting Wii U sales would be less than it is nowdays.

Smash is a beloved franchise, but not home consoles, it seems.

Wait what? Wat makes you say that? Only a few Games hit over a million in japan, and every SSB has done so on every console and im sure it will hit 1mil-1.3mil on the wiiu. For comparison, PS3 had only 2 titles that hit over a million.

What i was trying to say is that home consoles are no longer a desirable gaming option. Handhelds are.
And with Smash reaching those numbers on 3DS, it gets even harder for the Wii U version to perform as well as expected.

It basically has everything against it: home consoles are no longer relevant there; Smash 3DS already sold a million copies; the Wii U version is basically the same as the 3DS one.

fleischr said:
That's pretty incredible. This may just go past 20 million lifetime.

WAT?

How on earth would it do that?

tbone51 said:

Not sure if this was ever posted but still very interesting....  (million seller with digital)

Biggest first week for Nintendo games since 1996 (excluding Pokemon):

1. 987,239 / 987,239 - [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS {2014-09-13} (2 days) 

2. 936,734 / 4,584,787 - [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii {2009-12-03} (4 days) 

3. 865,024 / 6,428,457 - [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. {2006-05-25} (4 days) 

4. 816,198 / 2,315,401 - [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl {2008-01-31} (4 days) 

5. 721,786 / 4,171,720 - [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf {2012-11-08} (4 days) 

6. 608,147 / 3,717,665 - [WII] Mario Kart Wii {2008-04-10} (4 days) 

7. 451,932 / 2,306,431 - [3DS] Mario Kart 7 {2011-12-01} (4 days) 

8. 430,185 / 2,290,720 - [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 {2012-07-28} (2 days) 

9. 416,124 / 5,082,322 - [NDS] Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day {2005-12-29} (4 days) 

10. 411,025 / 1,657,909 - [3DS] Tomodachi Life {2013-04-18} (4 days) 

This also makes SSB the only game that surpassed a million in japan FW thats not pokemon (for 1st party game).

impressive and probably a good sign for wii u,really i dont believe 3ds version would cut sales,exactly the oposite...come on guys HD version of smash bros with way better gameplay and graphics :PIn polls about  where are you buying it ,3ds only...had few votes,most people voted both and wii u only was near:P

Wow. Also realize the next 6 below all had 4 days where Smash had 2.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity