By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Shadow of Mordor Run at 720p/30fps on Xbox One?

zero129 said:
Zekkyou said:

Eh? :p

The original Xbox had an obvious advantage both on paper and in games. There is nothing about the PS2's specs that suggest it was a "beast". Regardless to Sony's fancy names for the pieces in it, the PS2 was pretty under powered. It was the weakest of all three 6th gen systems (and it showed, even despite it generally being the biggest priority system for developers).

Your PS3/360 example is even worse. The PS3 did have a decent hardware advantage over the 360 (it wasn't large, smaller than that of the Xbox and PS2 that's for sure, but it was still there), but it was an absolute nightmare to work with. That's common knowledge.

The PS4 doesn't have that issue. Not only does it have a power advantage (larger than that between the PS3 and 360), it seems to be the easier of the two to work with.

I do agree that specs don't directly equate to a real world advantage, but you're being hypocritical. You can't use that as a defense when the advantage is clear both on paper and in real world games.

It doesn't matter if the advantage is because of specs, because the X1 is tad hardware to work with or because Sony made a deal with a wizard; it's here and claiming the advantage is smaller than what both the specs and games are showing, without any sort of proof, makes you look silly

Where is your proof as now you the one looking silly?.

I didnt need to proof anything as so far the is only like 2 games that show such a huge dif between the 2 and plenty more that show like a 20-30% dif in res only so where is all them real world examples you speak of??

You must really have little knowledge of the topic we're discussing if you need proof ^^; When we see differences as larger as 720p vs 1080p (a 125% difference, scaling up of course, since that's the direction PS4/X1 comparisons tend to be done in) a good chunk of it can be credited to poor optimization. That said, here are a few examples of games with performance variations of 40%+ (I've bracketed the percentage for each). For reference, 900p + 44% = 1080p.

- AC4 (44%)

- BF4 (56%)

- COD:G (125%)

- Metro R (40%)

- Golf Club (125%)

- PvZ:GW (44%)

- SW (44%)

- Theif (44%)

- MGSV:GZ (125%)

- TF (44%)

Then you have unreleased titles such as PES15, SOM, TW3, LOTF etc that have all reported possible resolution variations (44% to 125%, though there are no specifics for TW3).

It's also worth mentioning games like SEIII, Tomb Raider, M:SS etc. Those games have significant frame rate advantages in favor of the PS4 (similar in scale to the resolution differences listed above).

In-fact the absolute smallest resolution difference on a non-parity title is Watch Dogs at 29% (plus AO on the PS4). So there is only a single title that comes within even the upper limit of your "estimate", but i found 10 to 20 at 40%+ with a 2 minute google.

So as you can see, the PS4 has a rather obvious advantage both on paper and off. The most common advantage is around 40 - 50% (similar to the difference seen in spec comparisons). We can spend all day debating where specifically that difference comes from, but in the end it's still there.

There's my "proof", where is yours to back up this 20% - 30% claim (or 15% to 20% :p)? Please feel free to build an argument based on loose connective assumptions. That's what people usually do around here when they can't think of a proper one ^^ Or you could divert from the core topic, that works as well.

Around the Network
MonstaMack said:
Thanks for the answers it's appreciated.

Keep in mind the following when reading what some here post, especially if they use tflops for comparison.

The tflop number is the maximum both consoles are able to achieve at the best circumstances and be prepared for that they almost never reach these numbers. Same applies to ram bandwidth and so on. These are all theoretical maximums.

Small hint: Both consoles sacrify 2 cores for the operating system. This "power" is automatically lost, for both. And both consoles sacrifice RAM for their OS. Furthermore both consoles feature a full multitasking OS while one was specifically built in a complex way, the other is a bsd clone customized for gaming needs.

What is the conclusion? Don't rely just on specs as they don't tell you how "real world" performance is going.

The problem Xbox One has to face now is that deferred rendering is not very suitable for the size of the esram which makes games render at a lower resolution. This is not a problem with the power itself (while this might also be true, but not in the first place) but especially with the size of the ESRAM.

But if you look at, let's say Forza Horizon 2, you can squeeze out nice graphics at 1080p but devs are using Forward+ instead of deferred rendering so to save a lot of bandwidth.

We will see if other devs adjust their engines just for Xbox One or if they continue to don't care and deliver worse than possible multiplatform games.

Mr Puggsly said:
ethomaz said:

It was 50% at start but before launch MS upclocked 57Mhz in GPU... so that make the GPU jump from 1.2 TFLOPS to 1.31 TFLOPS.

It is hard to tell about Xbox and PS2 because they had way too different architectures... Xbox was stronger but how much? Well it was a good gap but it is discussable... in my opinion the gap was small or close to that showed between PS4/Xbone but some guys will disagree and says it was a bit widen.

That's an opinion easy to have if you aren't very familiar with the OG Xbox. It genuinely felt a generation ahead when you played games like Doom 3, Riddick, Halo 2, Half Life 2, Fable, etc. Ports of PC games from Ubisoft also looked much better on Xbox.

With X1 and PS4, the biggest disparity seems to be performance.

PS2 was technically inferior and simply can't replicate the visuals we saw on Xbox.

Is that the voice of Sully at the beginning of that video from Uncharted?  Certainly sounds like it!

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

there is a notable difference in power, sony fans will act like its bigger than it is and xbox fans will act like its smaller.
As a developer, there is a difference, depending on what you want to do its either small inconvenience or a large matter that results in having to make multiplatform games paired back a little or develop two versions of the same engine to support the differences enough to get around the need to scale back assets.

Regardless, this difference isnt going to get bigger, but it isnt going to get smaller either.

I think the concensus now is that the x1 version is around 900p with some secondary issues like poor AA. Also the PS4 version is NOT 60fps fwiw. So this is more of the same 40ish% gap here.

Around the Network

Wrong thread title: scientists proved that games on XBOne don't run, they walk.     

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I did got to see the game running today.

It is definitively not 1080p and due the lack of AA I can see why people guessed it was 720p but I'm not sure about that... looks over 720p (900p maybe).

The game runs at 30fps.

The PS4 game didn't run at solid 60fps too... it is more in line with inFAMOUS... so it is not bad at all.

ethomaz said:
I did got to see the game running today.

It is definitively not 1080p and due the lack of AA I can see why people guessed it was 720p but I'm not sure about that... looks over 720p (900p maybe).

The game runs at 30fps.

The PS4 game didn't run at solid 60fps too... it is more in line with inFAMOUS... so it is not bad at all.

Where did you get the chance to?

Thread title should be changed, even as a question there's no credible reason to think that the x1 version is 720p now. Too many good sources estimate 900p + or - a little. Other bad thread titles are the "720p som belgian" one and the idiotic "x1 sold 100k in China" title. People should be more careful with things that are easily translated.

zero129 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zero129 said:

Like i said all them specs show me is that the PS4 has like 15-20% more power in the real world, sure its enough to make sure the PS4 is a step above the X1 but it sure as hell is not a 50% diff

The is no reason for why the is such a drastic res and framerate diff other then the engine not being well made for the X1 like others have said.

EA's engine just so happens to be the better multiplatform engine.

Also to the ones who says that this will only grow in favor of the PS4 and thinks this is only going to get worse as the gen goes on most not understand how optimisation works in fact the is a very good chance the engines such as the Fox engine and EA's Engine are already using 100% or close to 100% of the hardware of the X1 and PS4 as has always been the case with other gens but with optimisation gfx can get better as they can squise more out of the hardware on both the x1 and the PS4.

Look up almost any spec comparison video on Youtube. The PS4 is 50% faster than the Xbone. 

I dont need to look up videos i can read specs fine but Spec sheet doesnt = Real world performance or else the PS2 would of been a beast going by its specs and the emotion engine and the PS3 should of completely destoryed the X360 when it came to graphics but none of that translated into real world.

Have you played the PS3 exclusives? Because I have not seen a XB360 game looking good as UC3, TLOU and GOW:A...