By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny: The Kotaku Review

Runa216 said:
It's not that destiny is a bad game - it's really not - it's just that it's really, really boring. It's really, really repetitive. It's really, really bland. it's really, really empty.

it's well made, I'm sure it's better with friends in the endgame content, but I Really shouldn't have to endure 20 hours of vast nothingness to get to that point.

When I played the beta, I thought "This has got a great base gameplay and various elements, but it's empty. I'm sure the actual game will have a lot more going on. I'm sure the final version will have better narration. I'm sure the final version will be better than the alpha and the beta from months past." Nope. It's just very bland, very empty, very repetitive, and very boring. For a game that's supposed to be fun, that's a failure.

So I guess it is a bad game, if it fails at being fun, it's a failure of a game. which is a colossal shame

That is the biggest think... it is fun... even the harsh reviews said it is fun.

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:
Too long didn't read. Destiny still sucks, I trust Joe over any commercialized sellout site.

This. :)

Nintendo Network: xavi707

PSN: xavi0707

bananaking21 said:
Euphoria14 said:
AZWification said:

Ummmm.... yes?

Just checking. Been seeing way too people here lately latching onto the bad reviews, despite never even playing the game. Wanted to know if you just honestly trust Joe's opinion.

You're cool in my book then.

AZWification is cool, he is one of the main reasons people are giving toastboy some slack. 

honestly though, one of the best users on the site, after me of course. 

Yeah, I am sure you're right.

I am not even sure why I even bother to ask that question to begin with. Maybe because I am like that with Jim Sterling. I trust a lot of what he says because I agree with a lot of what he says.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

method114 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I appreciate all the effort that went into this review -- I read it from beginning to end, careful to avoid any minor spoilers -- but I'm not sure this review answers convincingly any of the lingering question posed in other, less comprehensive reviews. Destiny still comes off as a mechanically and artistically impressive shooter that suffers from bad storytelling and repetitive mission design.

I keep looking for a reason to believe in Destiny, but this isn't it.

Imagine Diablo as a FPS it's the same thing. There is no difference to me except for small things but the idea is very much the same. Repeating dungeons to get better equipment and making those same dungeons harder.

What I like about it more then Diablo  though is the PVP is better and the Raids are something new and different. I don't believe there is any dungeon in Diablo that requires you to talk to your team to strategize.

Absolutely no talking required in Diablo 3. I would regularly do Torment Level 6 Rifts all time, solo with my witchdoctor, even in full games where the difficulty is bumped. I could do this even without using a "Russian Fast Sword" or other modded items.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

ethomaz said:
Runa216 said:
It's not that destiny is a bad game - it's really not - it's just that it's really, really boring. It's really, really repetitive. It's really, really bland. it's really, really empty.

it's well made, I'm sure it's better with friends in the endgame content, but I Really shouldn't have to endure 20 hours of vast nothingness to get to that point.

When I played the beta, I thought "This has got a great base gameplay and various elements, but it's empty. I'm sure the actual game will have a lot more going on. I'm sure the final version will have better narration. I'm sure the final version will be better than the alpha and the beta from months past." Nope. It's just very bland, very empty, very repetitive, and very boring. For a game that's supposed to be fun, that's a failure.

So I guess it is a bad game, if it fails at being fun, it's a failure of a game. which is a colossal shame

That is the biggest think... it is fun... even the harsh reviews said it is fun.

Wait, people think it's fun?  It's just empty nothingness.  Same boring, repetitive creatures, same scenarios, same environments, etc.  It's just really bland and samey. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Runa216 said:

Wait, people think it's fun?  It's just empty nothingness.  Same boring, repetitive creatures, same scenarios, same environments, etc.  It's just really bland and samey.

Yeap... a lot of people thinks Destiny is fun.

Of course there are the guys that didn't like but I guess it is the minority... It is crazy how much guys it concentrates everyday playing together.

I don't care as much about the reviews. What I care about is the fact that you used Kotaku as a Review site? Like Have you heard and have witness the shit they have been doing? A month ago they posted an article saying gaming is dead........

Euphoria14 said:
method114 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I appreciate all the effort that went into this review -- I read it from beginning to end, careful to avoid any minor spoilers -- but I'm not sure this review answers convincingly any of the lingering question posed in other, less comprehensive reviews. Destiny still comes off as a mechanically and artistically impressive shooter that suffers from bad storytelling and repetitive mission design.

I keep looking for a reason to believe in Destiny, but this isn't it.

Imagine Diablo as a FPS it's the same thing. There is no difference to me except for small things but the idea is very much the same. Repeating dungeons to get better equipment and making those same dungeons harder.

What I like about it more then Diablo  though is the PVP is better and the Raids are something new and different. I don't believe there is any dungeon in Diablo that requires you to talk to your team to strategize.

Absolutely no talking required in Diablo 3. I would regularly do Torment Level 6 Rifts all time, solo with my witchdoctor, even in full games where the difficulty is bumped. I could do this even without using a "Russian Fast Sword" or other modded items.

Well that's that then. I did the weekly heroic strike for the first time last night level 22. I was 25, another 25, and a 23. We died a bunch of times and on the very last time we finally beat it I was going to quit after that. The games hard which is one thing I was afraid wasn't going to happen. 

Runa216 said:
ethomaz said:
Runa216 said:

Didn't stop COD from getting high scores, great sales, and millions of players why would it stop Destiny.

Great review! It has it's faults and I was one of those people that was "why me!" When I wasn't getting any legendary items at lvl 24. But when I was finally able to get a couple from the crucible vendor and then yesterday I FINILLY got an exotic SMG "the Thunderlord" I have felt a sense of accomplishment that I haven't felt in a video game in a really long time. Sure the story is not clear and lacking and the loot system is kind of abusive, but over all of that... The game is super addictive. Please remember... The game has only been out for 2 weeks and people that are crying that they have no lootz yet are just being unreasonable. Cannot wait to get to vault of glass. Lvl 25 now with 2 legendary items that I bought and an exotic that came out of a legendary engram. One more lvl baby!