By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Sony Need to Counter Halo MCC?

If they actually ADVERTISE LBP and it's family friendliness and co-op play it could be huge. If not then it will go on to only do a couple million. However I'm hoping they have some nice bundles like KZ and Infamous $450 bundle. Perhaps an extra controller and LBP3 bundle for $450.

Big thing is showing FC4, GTA5, and LBP3 adverts (remember GTA is bigger than COD according to their recent sales even though it's a remaster) just at the same volume as MS shows their COD, Halo, and ACU adverts.

However even Madden with all the Xbox's exclusive NFL stuff and their heavy advertising didn't outsell the PS4 version.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
DJEVOLVE said:

MCC I think will drive up some sale but it's Halo 5 launch next year they need to counter.

Halo fans will be like.

I feel like most of those hardcore Halo/Xbox fans were the ones who picked up a One at launch when it was more expensive.  Who else was going to buy it?  Will it drive sales that holiday?  Sure.  Will it be generation shifting?  No I don't think so.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
DJEVOLVE said:

MCC I think will drive up some sale but it's Halo 5 launch next year they need to counter.

Halo fans will be like.

I feel like most of those hardcore Halo/Xbox fans were the ones who picked up a One at launch when it was more expensive.  Who else was going to buy it?  Will it drive sales that holiday?  Sure.  Will it be generation shifting?  No I don't think so.

I don't think it was the halo fans from last gen who picked up day one. It as the hardcore Xbox fans. However that doesn't translate into halo fans. Many people wait to buy until that certain game launches and they can't wait anymore. A few of My friends are buying in with MCC. Also next year with Halo 5 we will have a price break. So halo 5 with a cheaper console, Yea it's going to xplode. They should have had Halo 5 for this year but I also don't want them to launch early either. So all in all, halo is the biggest attraction to the Xbox brand. Wheather it be early or later. It has always bumped the numbers up, no matter how late it was in the gen.

Halo: MCC will move some hardware, but not as much as an actual new entry. This is a remaster collection so I expect most buyers to have already played the originals and are buying the collection for nostalgia. In addition, looking at the X1's sales, they were incredibly front loaded. It has sold more in 2013 than in 2014 thus far. Much of the X1 userbase are hardcore Xbox fans, so much of the people who want Halo: MCC already have an X1.

That said, Sony doesn't need to do anymore. The PS4 has the image of being the better multiplat machine. It will also get help from Far Cry 4 and LittleBigPlanet 3. Smart marketing will suffice.

Absolutely no.

The MCC is getting treated in much the same way as TF, and I feel some people are putting way, way too much eggs in that basket. Much like TF, I think it'll sell incredibly well (with a high attach rate), but it won't be moving that many consoles.

I've seen plenty of comments that go along the lines of:

"Well, PS4 needs something for the Holiday because MCC is going to push the X1 hard"

And I disagree entirely. Sony doesn't need anything (exclusive wise at least) to outsell the X1, we've seen this all year long. All they need is a GTAV bundle, and LBP3 to attract the family audience. That will be more than enough to beat MS in the US, everywhere else they wouldn't even need that.

Add to that the fact that anyone who wanted to play these Halo games, already did. The 360 sold 50 million units in NA, no one missed out on the games so i don't think it'll attract the mainstream audience that makes the series huge (it'll attract mostly the core Halo fanbase that either already owns or were going to buy an X1 anyways). Something like TLOU works since millions missed out on it due to having a 360 and no PS3 (and lots of 360 owners moving to PS4). This, however, is a different case

And here's the thing, even if they defy all odds and beat the PS4 in Nov, the X1 is just going to collapse again in Jan. After the MCC, there's nothing till whenever QB or Fable comes out (Mid to late 2015?). This is where their lack of first party will become a glaring issue (already this year we had a six week period where not a single X1 game released). MS is not looking good at all.

And to make it clear again, I'm not arguing it's sales potential, I'm arguing it's system selling potential. The game itself will sell very,  very well.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Halo has never been enough to really topple a PlayStation. Not sure why The MCC would be any different.

This holiday will prove that they won't need to counter it - despite the idea that The MCC will certainly be a staple for this holiday!

Well Sony always wanted a shooter in the league of Halo.

They pushed Haze, Killzone, and Resistance. The market they got for Destiny was also a response to Halo in my opinion.

They don't need to counter it, but we can presume they want to counter it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Well you mean about sales.

I'm confident there will be a GTAV PS4 bundle that I won't count like a counter because it will outsell every single bundled SKU in the year.

Ka-pi96 said:
I would love it if they had countered it with an Uncharted collection. But it isn't needed, PS4 will still sell tonnes regardless.

Have a good feeling uncharted collection is in the making. It would be a very easy cash in and boost uncharted 4 sales.

As for MCC, it gives the X1 a chance in NA, but not WW.

PS4 has the momentum and i really don't think Halo MCC is going to be as huge as some think. Hardcore Halo fans are going to be the biggest buyers and they are the minority.

Mr Puggsly said:
CGI-Quality said:
Halo has never been enough to really topple a PlayStation. Not sure why The MCC would be any different.

This holiday will prove that they won't need to counter it - despite the idea that The MCC will certainly be a staple for this holiday!

Well Sony always wanted a shooter in the league of Halo.

They pushed Haze, Killzone, and Resistance. The market they got for Destiny was also a response to Halo in my opinion.

They don't need to counter it, but we can presume they want to counter it.

Well of course. Halo sells loads, why wouldn't Sony want  a game like that? I'm sure MS also wishes Forza was as big as GT. That's not the point though.