By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy 15 Trailer TGS 2014 Tetsuya Nomura steps down! UPDATE: New showcase demo!

Zarkho said:
So FF meets Xenoblade meets GTAV meets some random teens from Shibuya. Like Japanese people said when the first trailer was released... Where is the Fantasy...?

Simply, that mix of current era cars and current era fashion with epic fantasy does not fit well. As with Destiny, I can see how people is getting over hyped because of the nice graphics and animations, while completely ignoring that the awkward choice of putting two different eras together plus, as benao87 said, generic current day Japanese teens with generic current era dialogues and concerns can very well ruin the atmosphere of the game.

So... For now, pretty nice visuals, but poor characters and setting. Not really interested (In fact, I'm starting to think that both Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X are the true spiritual successors of the Final Fantasy universe, epic stories and feelin'...)

Huuuuh??

More like, spiritual successors to Xenogears and Xenosaga. 

Around the Network

By far the best Jrpg trailer in this new generation

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

My (cynical) thoughts in no particular order:

• I expect the road trip elements come from the early game, so we're looking at the first 5-10 hours here. This is almost certainly before the game opens up.
  • It increasingly looks like they've ditched EncounterSpace and made gameplay consistent in and out of battle, and battle abilities will solve puzzles out of combat. ABOUT DAMN TIME.
  • It also looks like you only directly control Noctis. I can live with that, actually.
  • I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that party member AI will be as smooth and lifelike as that in the game. Do you really think they're going to program GESTURES AND BODY LANGUAGE into the friendly AI on top of the dialogue? Technically that's possible, but I think it's much more likely this shit's scripted. I'll settle for a few scripted instances.
  • The Graphics: I expect a downgrade that probably COULD run on Wii U. I'll still be happy. After XIII I really stopped caring about FF becoming prettier. I will never mind prettier, but I don't need it.

I'm definitely pumped that we have a new FF title coming, but the things that they're advertising are also things I'm conditioned to not expect from video games. And that disclaimer they've had for the last two trailers; it's like they know they're doing false advertising. I REALLY want to believe this will be everything it looks like, but I just can't bring myself to be that optimistic. And the director stepping down so late in the game doesn't bode well, either.

If they do get the AI to consistently be that fluid in actual gameplay, this game will totally be worth the ten year wait, perhaps even longer. It could be game of the gen on that regard alone. But I don't think they will. I will, however, settle for a game with gameplay someone actually thought out and playtested and a story with a bone or two of subtlety.

I actually think that if Mercedes would pay 10 bucks to SE to put their logo on the car they would do it.. Anyway Capcom made fighting monsters way more awesome with dragons dogma.. So please don't be so flat in the combat.. Let me grab on onto medium sized monsters..

Music is great tough

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

deskpro2k3 said:
Zekkyou said:
deskpro2k3 said:
unbelievable...

This is not fair for Nomura. Himself and his team has sacrifice development time for FFXV (FFvXIII) to help make FFXIII/FFXIII-2/FF-Lightning Return and to rebound FFXIV:ARR.

This is what I think really happen.. SE want FFXV to go multiplatform, therefore Nomura couldn't achieve his full vision by focusing on one console, so he step down for like boss..

I doubt it's that at all. Design wise the game should be pretty much complete now (as should the story), so it's just a matter of building the assets and putting it all together. Nomura isn't really necessary for that, so it's best he concentrate his efforts on the game further back in development.

They showed footage of it running on PS3 a few years back in tgs behind closed doors. Man I wonder how he feels to have all that years of work scrapped.

Not as bad as you think.  You gotta remember, they raided Nomura's entire dev team to finish Final Fantasy XIII and probably Lightning Returns.  Nomura was working with a skeleton team working on concepts since they couldn't do much else.  Scrapping the work on the world map on the other hand, that probably hurt.

Around the Network

It looks amazing. I think my PS4 purchase might come sooner.

Cant wait!!! I bought a PS3 for this game!!....f**k

Zarkho said:
So FF meets Xenoblade meets GTAV meets some random teens from Shibuya. Like Japanese people said when the first trailer was released... Where is the Fantasy...?

Simply, that mix of current era cars and current era fashion with epic fantasy does not fit well. As with Destiny, I can see how people is getting over hyped because of the nice graphics and animations, while completely ignoring that the awkward choice of putting two different eras together plus, as benao87 said, generic current day Japanese teens with generic current era dialogues and concerns can very well ruin the atmosphere of the game.

So... For now, pretty nice visuals, but poor characters and setting. Not really interested (In fact, I'm starting to think that both Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X are the true spiritual successors of the Final Fantasy universe, epic stories and feelin'...)

If final fantasy 7 were made on the PS4.... this is pretty much exactly what it would look like. 

I really don't get some people. I mean i know its cool to hate on stuff these days but come on!!!! Poor characters and setting?

Just outta curiosity, is Xenoblade on the wiiU?

That actually looked pretty incredible to me. I'm not really into JRPGs, but this looks very different to the normal fare.

Well that looks good but I'm just gonna sit here and don't feel any hype yet