By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony To Post $2 Billion+ Loss

Fedorsmum said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Fedorsmum said:
2010 - $0.441 billion loss
2011 - $3.2 billion loss
2012 - $5.7 billion loss
2013 - $0.435 billion profit (sold main HQ and many other assets)
2014 - $1.30 billion loss
2015 - $2 billion loss

Well it has finally happened. The long predicted bankruptcy and closure of Sony is finally underway.

That just shows people have been chatting crap for the last 5 years while Sony are still in business and launching industry leading products one after another.

The 'long predicted bankruptcy' remains.... 'long predicted'.

No profits for 5 of the last 6 years, and 9 of the last 10.

And they sold the entire lot of Sony City in Japan. Sony already has eliminated about 18,000 jobs in the last two years.

All I can say is that you have been wrong about bankrupty for 10 years, so the day you may eventually be right after more than another 10 years, it wont mean anything. Boy who cried wolf.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
So it's phones fault...
I don't buy expensive phones, a cheap but rugged Motorola is more than enough for me, but I really can't understand why almost all people willing to spend a lot on these things go with Apple or Samsung like sheeps when many top end Sony models match them in HW, SW and communication features and, in some models, add water, shock and dust resistance, that in devices so expensive should be very desirable, and on top of all this, they offer a distinctive style, quite different from competitors. Luckily, recent polls show people liking (but this won't necessarily reflect on sales) the latest Motorola, Nexus and HTC top end models more than both iPhone 6 and the latest Samsung, maybe people are waking up, but I'd have expected a wamer welcome for the latest Sonys too.

The Z series has been very popular despite the cost, and they have compact versions of them too. I agree though, they really need to improve their low-end range. The mid-range phones were good last year but they were very slow with android updates and have recently said they wont be updated to kitkat... a perfect way to annoy your customers.

fps_d0minat0r said:

It is crap. Like the other person said, people have been saying that for 5 years already, and I can see them continue to chat crap for another 5 years when Sony WILL still be around and PS4 will still be leading and they will also have successful phones and cameras, and a handheld too.

If you are so confident, do you want to bet on it?

They are in debt, but not all companies that are in debt are in trouble. If hundreds of other companies are willing to work with Sony rather than abandoning ship (like they do in most cases with companies in this much debt), I dont see why I should believe someone on a forum saying they are in trouble.

The truth is, you don't want to believe it. Because you are pro-Sony, you want to believe that everything is rosy and perfect for them.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

A deeper analysis of this is that it's a writedown of assets. As for cutting employees, that's an unfortunate but necessary step towards returning to profitability. This 2b is not an operating loss (eg we spent X and brought in Y), but rather "here is the new lesser value". It's not nearly as interesting as some are making it out to be, otherwise you'd see panic in the market, and that's hardly the case at all.

So according to Gaf the majority of the loss is a write off. Guess that's better news?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
So it's phones fault...
I don't buy expensive phones, a cheap but rugged Motorola is more than enough for me, but I really can't understand why almost all people willing to spend a lot on these things go with Apple or Samsung like sheeps when many top end Sony models match them in HW, SW and communication features and, in some models, add water, shock and dust resistance, that in devices so expensive should be very desirable, and on top of all this, they offer a distinctive style, quite different from competitors. Luckily, recent polls show people liking (but this won't necessarily reflect on sales) the latest Motorola, Nexus and HTC top end models more than both iPhone 6 and the latest Samsung, maybe people are waking up, but I'd have expected a wamer welcome for the latest Sonys too.

The Z series has been very popular despite the cost, and they have compact versions of them too. I agree though, they really need to improve their low-end range. The mid-range phones were good last year but they were very slow with android updates and have recently said they wont be updated to kitkat... a perfect way to annoy your customers.

Agree. About Android updates: but they can't be slower than Motorola itself! If I didn't read it, I would have never guessed it was owned by Google for a few years, judging by OS upgrades (or actually lack of). 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

fps_d0minat0r said:

It is crap. Like the other person said, people have been saying that for 5 years already, and I can see them continue to chat crap for another 5 years when Sony WILL still be around and PS4 will still be leading and they will also have successful phones and cameras, and a handheld too.

If you are so confident, do you want to bet on it?

They are in debt, but not all companies that are in debt are in trouble. If hundreds of other companies are willing to work with Sony rather than abandoning ship (like they do in most cases with companies in this much debt), I dont see why I should believe someone on a forum saying they are in trouble.

This isn't my fight, but I just have to comment on this... Even though PS4 most probably will still be leading the gaming market 5 years from now (or have been replaced by PS5), do you REALLY think they will succeed in phones, cameras and handhelds? Vita is dying, and if the portable market really has shrunk, there will only be room for Nintendo. Next PSP will fail if the market is too small, no? Cameras is a shrinking market as well (unfortunately), so no hope for massive profits there. And hey have, what, like 5% of the phone market now? They have been losing market shares for quite a while, how will they turn that around when it's this very division that is costing them massive amounts of money right now? I think it's far more safer to say that Sony will sell of their phone division, than for their phones to become market leaders, or compete successfully with Samsung/Apple...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

They invested a lot of money on marketing for the World cup and there are still remnants of their lost PC division. Not too mention they need money to promote their Smartphones too and it takes money to do so. Let's see from the same point of view that MS "lost" 2,5B dollars for acquiring Mojang. Sony "lost" all this money promoting their stuff and making it better.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
kowenicki said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
So it's phones fault...

Well they arent listening to you.  They will abandon their low end.  And I have no idea why you think any of their phones are popular, they arent, thats why they had to revise down the forecasts for unit sales.

They will never make significant money in mobile.  Never.

OT

They also announced the dropping of the dividend on stock for the first time ever.  Get ready for a significant drop on the markets today and a hell of a rough reception for Kaz at the next shareholder general meeting.

Again, none of that indicates bankruptcy anytime soon. and you dont think the z series is popular? lol.

Woah, that's pretty nasty coming off of several years of bleeding, it just doesn't seem to want to end. Sony got too comfortable on their 90's throne and forgot to move their brands forward, especially letting Samsung gain so much power and marketshare in phones and hi-fi without taking serious measures has been a grave, ongoing mistake and they haven't really started to try to get costs down until a few years ago.
Of course, it doesn't help that Japan was among the most severely affected by the financial crises either; but Sony could have done a lot more to soften the blow(s).

Much as I have always enjoyed Sony products, from TV's to consoles, phones and MP3-players; I don't feel sorry for them right now, what traction they have lost is mostly due to refusing to secure their footing when they had the chance.