By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony To Post $2 Billion+ Loss

DonFerrari said:

Well any "simplistic" calculation would give this kind of bizarre flaws... Why didn't Bloomberg gone for Sony Marketcap and made the same assumption, because that would also mix useless things... I quite believe they used a more positive number to put their analysis (and I'm not that far from believing 23B would be a fair price to pay on the whole Xbox brand) just said that it was obtuse to say Sony in whole is worth less than Xbox brand while PS brand is far more valueable than Xbox brand.

Sony as a whole isn't worth less than the Xbox brand, that much should be clear to everyone.  And PS could likely be more valuable than Xbox with what they've built up over the years.  But since the Xbox and PS brands don't have detailed information on their gaming sectors alone that specifically includes their "balance sheets" (assets and liabilities) and "statements of income" (sales, profits and losses) it's hard to put a tangible value on them.  Though in a market value setting the 2 brands could be worth a lot more than what's on paper, which would be as much as the highest bidder would be willing to pay for them (Xbox or Playstation).

Around the Network
foxtail said:
DonFerrari said:

Well any "simplistic" calculation would give this kind of bizarre flaws... Why didn't Bloomberg gone for Sony Marketcap and made the same assumption, because that would also mix useless things... I quite believe they used a more positive number to put their analysis (and I'm not that far from believing 23B would be a fair price to pay on the whole Xbox brand) just said that it was obtuse to say Sony in whole is worth less than Xbox brand while PS brand is far more valueable than Xbox brand.

Sony as a whole isn't worth less than the Xbox brand, that much should be clear to everyone.  And PS could likely be more valuable than Xbox with what they've built up over the years.  But since the Xbox and PS brands don't have detailed information on their gaming sectors alone that specifically includes their "balance sheets" (assets and liabilities) and "statements of income" (sales, profits and losses) it's hard to put a tangible value on them.  Though in a market value setting the 2 brands could be worth a lot more than what's on paper, which would be as much as the highest bidder would be willing to pay for them (Xbox or Playstation).

Agree with you on everything...

At least for PS brand you have for almost all years(for some you need some magic, or counting sold units and SW, for the years they merged with other department... but in some cases the next year they were demerged and if you look for the previous year in that statement you will have the individual number) the balance sheet to make some guess... Xbox have some other devices together making it harder to analyze...

And yes, if any investor were to seriously entertain the idea of buying the brand they would have to fork quite some cash, I wouldn't throw out the possibility of 50B-100B (seeing as MS is willing to pay 2.5B for a one hit dev because of the use they can do of the IP, they wouldn't let the brand go for pocket change, even more when they have serious cash already, even if they decided to cut the gaming division I don't see they selling it for less than the supposed 23B or 25 marketcap... for Sony the value of the brand, one of the few still strong, relevant and profitable would make them not wanting to let go, if they can hold a money drain like tv and vaio for 10 years, you can imagine how attached they are to their products so they looking for buyers is hard to imagine, and to take it out of sony by proposal I think Sony would want enough money to really reestruturize Sony and make they go back to bussiness).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

NewGuy said:
If MS offered Kaz Hirai 4 or 5 Mojangs, i.e. 10 - 12 billion cash for SCE and all of its studios and associated brands, do you think he should take the offer? I think he should.

i dont want to take sides in here but MS wouldnt buy SCE, there shareholders wont buy a company in financial crisis. They will only buy something if they need it to compete (Nokia Phones) or they see future profits (Minecraft). MS are a Software company, they dont need there own hardware, they made it rich because they supplyed the software to other brands like Sony.