By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony To Post $2 Billion+ Loss

Zekkyou said:
FiliusDei said:
DonFerrari said:
BeElite said:

likely in the 50b range, Ips are worth plenty and they do own a few and PS name alone is a massive worth.  

Quite possible... it baffles me that MS during X360 times (without Gears being theirs) the brand was 25B but people saying Sony in entirety were worth less.

All of Sony is worth less than 18 billion. It is quite possible for the ps brand to be 5b.

$18b is their market cap, not their linear worth.

That is the price the market says it is worth. Sony has about 150billion in assets but has about 130b in liability. If you were to buy sony, you would pay around 18-20 billion maybe a little more. I have no idea what the value of the ps brand is and that would include IPs, studios etc.

I also have no idea what the comparison would be between XB and PS brands value.

If anyone has the info please enlighten us!

I would think the PS is worth more than XB because of all the somy owned studios and IPs.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Zekkyou said:

$18b is their market cap, not their linear worth.

Market cap is still good idea of what the market thinks sony is worth. However I think the company is no where near worth 50 billion (Namely since the decline of in the 00s) or that Sony Playstation Brand is worth 25 Billion. 

Of course, but market cap in itself is almost useless when trying to value a single asset.

How much PlayStation is worth would depend on who is buying and why. If let's say Amazon wanted to buy their way into the core gaming industry, PlayStation could be worth more to them than Sony's own market cap. Not just because it's a huge pre-established gaming brand, but because it would simultaneously remove what would otherwise be their biggest competitor.

DonFerrari said:

Quite possible... it baffles me that MS during X360 times (without Gears being theirs) the brand was 25B but people saying Sony in entirety were worth less.

And you know how they came up with all those pointless valuations for the Xbox brand, all they did was use a simple revenue multiple (price-to-sales) that used Nintendo as the benchmark.  

It all depended on how much Nintendo's stock sold for times its trailing 12-month revenue then applied to Xbox revenue estimates.  The higher that multiple was on Nintendo's end, the higher value they could say the Xbox was worth.  

It's a simple and erroneous calculation that has little basis in the reality of the situation.  Nintendo shouldn't be used to determine the value of Xbox because they are too different and using multiples gives us a shortsighted view.

The 2 Billion plus loss is part of their restructuring. It is not a cash loss, but rather a book loss.

Yes,Sony is always making a loss carcasa piel iphone 6 plus at the end of the fiscal year but during quarters funda galaxy note 4 you always hear that they did good.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Acevil said:
I will say one thing, this is evil for me to say, but I do hope Sony continues to lose money, until they sell off the rights to Spider man back to the original owner.

They don't need to do bad they need to listen to Dan Loeb... they are cutting or spinning the sectors that have been doing bad for years... but I would happily trade the billion of loss for years in TV and Phone make it all in Pictures so Sony TV were still great, Xperias sold really well and they sold parts of Pictures to make it afloat.

You are asking Sony to let a Fox in the hen house if you will..lmao, not a good idea when you take into account @retail playstation part as a whole from its inception to 2010 generated for Sony over 50 billion in revenue for Sony that was just the playstation part of Sony . That is no small part of a company, its even worth more now than its ever been for Sony because Playstation.

Is a core pillar for Sony,  and Mobile is also they bought out Sony Erricsson for 1.6 Billion, and while the Write Down is not something kaz or the board thought was going to happen, They do know that reduction in manpower, and number of models being removed is better off than putting the Axe completely to the mobile section of Sony. Kaz is far from shy to just Axe cut the Entire section of the company out right the board of directors also in the last share holders meeting the "Majority" of share holders sided with the Board only west centric board investment hedge funds stock holders are still trying to get more west type of company management. 

Again in Japan in the  40 years no japanese company the size of Sony has ever had such a take over by the west holding investor! The fact that many say from "Experience in stock market of thw west" and try to apply the very same techniques there in japan is not going to work against the culture there and the way its been very unyielding to such drastic methods of change that the japanese do not see is right for "japan" Because many look at that as not really a viable way to run a corp. May be right for the west's idea on company management change.

In Japan the culture is not like the west, the speed of change to offset the loss they may have to right down is in of itself very bad news, but to the japanese keeping the "japanese" employed is above profit. That may mean shifting priority and taking more loss, but thay see it as keeping such the idea of looking to keep the workers employed that are japanese to be taken care of to still make sure that japanese worker still is employed , be it by them or another company. If they do have to let them go.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Market Cap is a guideline, what somthing is worth is what people are willing to spend, and what Sony would be asking for it would be far too Expensive to buy by many companies idea what its worth "for Them"

Last estimate for market worth for xbox was about 27 billion , since many do not have such access to any public option of stock for playstation value for it as an asset cannot really be seen what full market value for such asset is. But since new deals are in place now for more income streams have been opened up now like psn+, playstation Now services playstation value is much higher now than it was a few years ago.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

kowenicki said:

You didnt get back to me on those figures you had showing gaming to be more profitable than financials recently and being a major financial contributor to Sony Corp always.

Guess you realised how wildly wrong you were.

No worries.

Don't think he's worried at all considering how many times you're dead wrong on your predictions and judgement. So why bother listening to you?

tiffac said:
Acevil said:
I will say one thing, this is evil for me to say, but I do hope Sony continues to lose money, until they sell off the rights to Spider man back to the original owner.

I wish FOX would do the same for the X-Men because we need an AvX movie in the future. xD

This is why I boycott those movies. Not saying they are bad, but I don't want to give FOX and Sony any money until they give the rights back to Marvel.

Ka-pi96 said:
Poor Sony. I wonder how much of that is actual losses though and not rearragement or whatever they are called costs.

Not sure, but I'm sure a good chunk of the additional $0.8-0.9 billion from the original $1.2 billion will be coming from actual losses.