By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Please don't ruin Minecraft,' 10-year-old begs in open-letter to Microsoft

okr said:
Hynad said:
okr said:
Not to mention that Hynad ironically has a Lego signature and - judging by his profile - owns and likes 3 Dot Game Heroes, the arguably most blocky 7th gen game.

3D Dot Game Heroes was created as an hommage to the 8 Bits era. And the developers created as good looking style that fits well for it. 

Minecraft is just... ugly.

Oh, come on. Why so serious? I'm not interested in playing Minecraft either, but I have to admit it's one of the biggest worldwide game phenomenons ever created, probably the biggest one since Pokemon and The Sims (and like those two it's enjoyed by both genders - which is always a plus in my book). About 2 years ago I watched my nephew playing it on PC for a few hours, he loved it to death and explained every detail to me. I realized that the game is not for me, but when I saw his enthusiasm I understood the game's appeal to a wide audience.

I'm not saying anything bad about the game other that it's ugly. What's the problem?

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Hynad said:

That's better. But couldn't they figure a way to make things look less blocky?

I think that will defeat the reason for minecraft to exist.... think of it like Lego building with insane elements from other genres.

The blockyness is part of the whole point of minecraft. Trust me. I've played games that have tried to allow you to be as creative with smaller and smaller voxels and it usually turns into a mess. The smaller the blocks the more blocks must be placed to make shapes the more tools you need such as copy, cut, paste, blueprints, etc. It starts to get overwhelming. Add on top of that smothing and other features and you no longer have a product nearly every 5 year old can work with, let alone a 10 year old. I've known 15-20 year olds who can't figure out such tools.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Don't worry kiddo. They'll just make it F2P so you can max out mommy and daddy's credit cards with micro-transactions.

Maybe if 90's kids did something similar back 2002,MS wouldn't fuck rare up like they did!

Oh they will ruin Minecraft, just wait.

Never EVER pray this! "Minecraft goes micro-transaction"

Around the Network
Acevil said:

you mean like this?:

because the PC version is very customizable with resource packs and shaders (and they aren't that hard to get)

To be honest, still looks terrible.

Yup, a 10-year-old surely wrote that letter.....

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

*asks money for regular updates, skins and texture packs*

I made the same pleas to them about Rare 10 ago, kid...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

torok said:
Acevil said:

you mean like this?:

because the PC version is very customizable with resource packs and shaders (and they aren't that hard to get)

To be honest, still looks terrible.

Oh, if you compare it with what professional devs (or talented amateur modders) can do with unmodifiable (or little modifiable) levels in other genre games, yes, but this is what the end user can do, in a totally modifiable world. Minecraft is a giant virtual Lego box, and as dharh correctly pointed out a few posts before, graphics must not go beyond a given level, because a certain degree of blockiness is necessary to make building things easy.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!