By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Anita Sarkeesian fabricate the death threats made against her on twitter?

t shows a footage from hitman absolution where the main guy is dragging a women's (a civilian, not an enemy) dead body and she's going off about sick, pervert pleasure and the likes. In reality, the game discourages the player to attack civilians and you are actively penalized to do so.

This is incorrect - the game gives you a penalty from a score that does nothing to alter gameplay - and takes the penalty away *100%* if you hide the body.

Please explain how this is 'actively penalized' as any type of active penalty actually causes the game to be harder or make your life more difficult for choosing the option.

At best there is a passive penalty that only applies if you are too lazy to hide the corpse.  When accusing someone of cherrypicking and being disengenous - perhaps it would be best not to do the same - although I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt as this is just repeated over and over by many different people - I get the feeling that most people making this complaint have never played the hitman series and so don't realise that the game never actively discourages you, and instead are just repeating what someone else said.

Around the Network

• Make up idle threats.
  • Claim you are fearing for your life
  • Drop a link on how to donate
  • Reel in the cash from the suckers dumb enough to believe your stupid ass in the first place
  • Laugh all the way to the bank

You never know. There is some screwed up people in the world that could post death threats like that.

nice

I just went to twitter - did not log in - did a search for someones name - then clicked on a tweet.  Once done I clicked on the persons name twice and a screen came up just like your screenshot.

Search field :  empty

Login status:  not signed in

Screen:  The person I clicked on and all their tweets.

It seems that's how it looks when you click on someones name while not logged in.

Kane1389 said:

• Make up idle threats.
  • Claim you are fearing for your life
  • Drop a link on how to donate
  • Reel in the cash from the suckers dumb enough to believe your stupid ass in the first place
  • Laugh all the way to the bank

oh, theres one. My guess he is just some 12 year old who has no friends, 90% of the time those people make that stuff up just to get a rise out of the person, while the other 10% is really screwed up and will do it.

nice

Around the Network

Ugh is all I have to say to this woman.

Ckorik said:

This doesn't make the film industry look bad, it doesn't make any particular movie sexist.  This could however, attempt to show the film industry where it is overusing tropes in lazy or inappropriate ways.  This in turn could cause the film industry (could - not will) to show some introspection and perhaps attempt to avoid these types of scenes because they are easy to write.

I don't have much to add except that this point can't be underlined enough. Let's demand more of video games (and movies) as an artform. Our writers don't have to always be lazy in how they portray women. There will continue to be games/movies that use these tropes and that's okay to an extent - let's just make the creative forces think about it first. This is the core of the Sarkeesian videos and honestly don't understand how people lose the message because they are butt hurt about thinking that it's somehow going to ruin video games. 

run away! 

champybh said:
Ckorik said:

This doesn't make the film industry look bad, it doesn't make any particular movie sexist.  This could however, attempt to show the film industry where it is overusing tropes in lazy or inappropriate ways.  This in turn could cause the film industry (could - not will) to show some introspection and perhaps attempt to avoid these types of scenes because they are easy to write.

I don't have much to add except that this point can't be underlined enough. Let's demand more of video games (and movies) as an artform. Our writers don't have to always be lazy in how they portray women. There will continue to be games/movies that use these tropes and that's okay to an extent - let's just make the creative forces think about it first. This is the core of the Sarkeesian videos and honestly don't understand how people lose the message because they are butt hurt about thinking that it's somehow going to ruin video games. 

ok but what does that mean?

does it mean that there should be more instances where women are the heroes in games?

well ok fair enough that would be great imo

however, i think the reason that currently men are the heroes in games more than women is fairly obvious and it isn't rooted in misogyny or sexism or whatever

its rooted in biology in that men by default are bigger, stronger and more aggressive than women and those traits are what heroes in video games generally embody

when you think about it this is generally what games are centered on

the physical prowess of the main character and their aggression in using their phyiscal prowess to overcome obstacles to achieve some goal

whether that involves jumping platforms, killing monsters,moving objects etc etc etc

these are task that are generally tailored towards masculine traits which as i mentioned are aggression, strength, etc etc etc

whereas women are naturally more gentle and weaker (physically) by comparison again this is not sexism or misogyny its biological fact

so therefore imo its not suprising that they are more often than not relegated to more passive roles whereas men take the more active roles

in games where the focus is the character achieving some physical feat these roles are simply a reflection of our inate characteristics imo

so i suppose that from my perspective what needs to be done is that more games need to be developed which emphasize the strength of feminime as opposed to masculine characteristics

double

Apologies for reviving a mostly dead thread but I feel this video of Anita speaking about her 2 year stint of dealing with online harassment. Definitely worth a watch

http://digg.com/video/watch-anita-sarkeesian-chronicle-two-years-of-online-harassment

Major take away- People are willing to believe rather radical conspiracy theories rather than logical arguments when they feel an interest of theirs is being threatened somehow. ALSO- Women are often the target of victim blaming ("you asked for it", "you're making it up").

"One of the most radical things you can do is to believe women when they tell you about their experiences." - Anita 

run away!