By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Anita Sarkeesian fabricate the death threats made against her on twitter?

Maybe...
I can imagine that she did it to get more YouTube clicks and to jump on the Quinnspiracy bandwagon.

Ignore her, she doesn't deserve the media attention.

Ok, Miyamoto was asked about sexism in Mario games (with references to her videos) and the next installment had two playable female characters... Probably a coincidence.

Around the Network
episteme said:

Maybe...
I can imagine that she did it to get more YouTube clicks and to jump on the Quinnspiracy bandwagon.

Ok, Miyamoto was asked about sexism in Mario games (with references to her videos) and the next installment had two playable female characters... Probably a coincidence.

Don't the majority of Mario games have playable female characters?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Ckorik said:
CDiablo said:
Madword said:
Hopefully we can get back on discussion point now... I mean hardly anyone has discussed the original thread, if the post from the police is true, what does this mean? They have found no evidence...? or was the email from the police a fraud/lie....

Well it seems that folks have found out that she never contacted police for these matters and thus likely wasn't run out of her house as was originally told by her. I don't know about fabrication but she certainly embellished the seriousness of the threats.

“I’ve just another conversation with SFPD. They say they are aware that the Sarkeesian case is being dealt with by the FBI. They don’t have records of calls made in August, which may or may not be because the case was handed off to federal agencies. I’ll follow up with the FBI later, but, irrespective of the merits of her complaints, Anita Sarkeesian is indeed dealing with the FBI.

This is the only thing in the thread I can find that says anything close - and it says she is dealing with the FBI.

So.... how do you go from 'working with the FBI' to 'embellished the seriousness' - let me be frank - dealing with the FBI is about 8 points up (on a scale from 1 to 10) on the serious meter (and that goes from 1 (someone stole my lunch money) to 10 (Welcome to your new Federal Jail Cell)).

Some guy did a video interview (3 days ago)with the PD rep and they have no record of her making any attempt at contacting them, thats all I know. The rep(who researched into it) said there is no record whatsoever. The FBI works in strange ways though. I dont know where your quote comes in or who it is from. If she is indeed working with the FBI I wonder what in the world was done to bring the situation to that level. As it stands the official word is she never contacted anyone(though I dont imagine getting info out of the FBI comes easy. Chances are if the FBI were in on it they would tell both the local PD as well as Anita to not talk about the issue publically(with something this serious).

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

MikeRox said:
episteme said:

Maybe...

Don't the majority of Mario games have playable female characters?

Well, she ignored all the spin-offs in her videos. She only cherry-picked some scenes that supported her point.

woman is a pro-hustler,ever see any of thunderfoots videos on youtube countering her actions,funny stuff https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmb8hO2ilV9vRa8cilis88A

Around the Network

Can every body in this thread please take a chill pill?

We normally let political/human-interest threads go a bit, but we've gotten multiple reports and some of them are quite justified. Do not attack other posters.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

teigaga said:
Areym said:
It doesn't even surprise me. Not in the least. I do not like this woman and what she represents. She could explain her arguments, which are very valid for the most part, in a less bitchy and aggressive tone, I would be ok. HELL, if she was a real gamer, I would actually respect her for taking a stand in her believes. But no. She is a waste of time and I hope stops being even remotely relevant.

Let a real woman, who happens to be a gamer, make her arguments for her.

Why does matter who its coming from, it doesn't change the content of her argument. Just because you don't listen to Hip Hop doesn't mean you can't find issue with its objectification of women.

It makes it more compelling and far more valid if an "expert" or at least a person involved in the action (gaming, playing the actual game) is making these claims and arguments. You would not trust the word of an outsider than that of a seasoned player, would you?

The gender of the messenger is not important, that is true. However, if it is a woman who wants to bring some of these issues to light, at least make sure she is actively involved in gaming. It would resonate far more, especially to gamers, knowing that she is actively playing the games she claims are part of the problem.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
teigaga said:

Why does matter who its coming from, it doesn't change the content of her argument. Just because you don't listen to Hip Hop doesn't mean you can't find issue with its objectification of women.

It makes it more compelling and far more valid if an "expert" or at least a person involved in the action (gaming, playing the actual game) is making these claims and arguments. You would not trust the word of an outsider than that of a seasoned player, would you?

The gender of the messenger is not important, that is true. However, if it is a woman who wants to bring some of these issues to light, at least make sure she is actively involved in gaming. It would resonate far more, especially to gamers, knowing that she is actively playing the games she claims are part of the problem.

Although there is a logic there, I think it only applies if expertise in the medium is required or heavily favoured. In situations like this I don't see why its so important. Playing a ton of Halo may make you an expert of the games mechanics, but I wouldn't argue that someone needs to play it a ton to form very valid judgements on its art. Infact whats very common, and what we're seeing (as made evident by people's often brutal responeses), is that a lot of the time those so heavily invested in the medium are either blind to alot of issue's because we're just used to it, or we have the knee jerk reaction to defend something we love. We see this a lot in fanboys

When talking gender roles, its not something games invented, its a real life dynamic games are representing. If you have knowledge of the topic regarding the real world, then you are more then capable of discussing it in games. The only thing I would bring into question, is that maybe an uninformed gamer might not pull on wide range of references and thus portray and unfair image of the industry if tehy're only stuudying COD and Mario. I honestly I have only watched one or 2 of her videos so can't really comment on whether thats the case with her.

teigaga said:
Areym said:
teigaga said:

Although there is a logic there, I think it only applies if expertise in the medium is required or heavily favoured. In situations like this I don't see why its so important. Playing a ton of Halo may make you an expert of the games mechanics, but I wouldn't argue that someone needs to play it a ton to form very valid judgements on its art. Infact whats very common, and what we're seeing (as made evident by people's often brutal responeses), is that a lot of the time those so heavily invested in the medium are either blind to alot of issue's because we're just used to it, or we have the knee jerk reaction to defend something we love. We see this a lot in fanboys

When talking gender roles, its not something games invented, its a real life dynamic games are representing. If you have knowledge of the topic regarding the real world, then you are more then capable of discussing it in games. The only thing I would bring into question, is that maybe an uninformed gamer might not pull on wide range of references and thus portray and unfair image of the industry if tehy're only stuudying COD and Mario. I honestly I have only watched one or 2 of her videos so can't really comment on whether thats the case with her.

I don't particularly see the logic - there are photos of her as a kid playing nintendo - while she might not be a hard core 'gamer' (that definition seems pretty nebulous honestly) she seems to have a grasp of the different genres.  That being said I like the rest of your post - good points.

As to making an unfair image of the industry - this is the part that people who simply don't agree with her try to portray.  Should you - for instance - make a series showing use of sexist tropes in movies, you would go through thousands of movies - and find the parts that use those tropes.  Once accomplished you would then attempt to make a point about overuse of these tropes by stringing similar tropes together as a montage so that the viewer could see:  1) evidence of the trope being used 2) the number of films that use the trope 3) possibly show the trope being used in otherwise great films where the (and this is the important part) director and audience were not even aware it was used.  This doesn't make the film industry look bad, it doesn't make any particular movie sexist.  This could however, attempt to show the film industry where it is overusing tropes in lazy or inappropriate ways.  This in turn could cause the film industry (could - not will) to show some introspection and perhaps attempt to avoid these types of scenes because they are easy to write.

This is what she seems to be doing with games.  When reviewing this type of critique it's important to remember tropes are lazy writing/imagery at best - that's what makes them tropes in the first place - with just minimum effort you can goad your audience into a set of cultural expectations, and even then they can be used very cleverly and well.

That last point is a big one - existance of a trope (sexist or not) in any media doesn't mean it was used poorly - even if the trope was central to the feeling of the game - and thus creates a stellar game/experience - it still exists and is fair to be called out.  In particular this video series isn't about if the trope being used is bad or good in any specific instance - it instead is focused on the more widely used tropes that are degrading to women, and how *overused* they are - thus showing large numbers of games where they exist.  Disagreeing with a particular selection is fair, calling her work fake (or calling her worse) because of that isn't.

teigaga said:
Areym said:
teigaga said:

Well, the thing is she tends to cherry pick situations in which a women is potrayed in a negative way. Like somebody posted here a video debunking her lies, it shows a footage from hitman absolution where the main guy is dragging a women's (a civilian, not an enemy) dead body and she's going off about sick, pervert pleasure and the likes. In reality, the game discourages the player to attack civilians and you are actively penalized to do so. In the mission, you can sneak past the women and guards or you can just brute force your way, it seems. It's that kind of shit that does not help her case because she has not experienced the entirety of the game and is simply picking a tiny portion of the game where one can act in such a manner.

You do have a point, gamers like us can become blind to the problems surrounding sexism in gaming. Still, i would personally respect and more incline to follow an active gamer from the youtube commmunity who would be making some (not all) of her points. 

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian