Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Anita Sarkeesian fabricate the death threats made against her on twitter?

Richard_Feynman said:
Ckorik said:

I have to ask - in what context is me logging into kickstarter - clicking 'I support this' - entering an amount of money to give someone - and clicking go - then *waiting* for the month the kickstarter takes for the money to be taken - again in what context does any of that have to do with taxes or the government?

Isn't me ... myself.... no one else... spending money on something I choose... isn't that the definition of a free market?  Or am I mistaken in that I get to spend money on what I choose?

THE FREEMARKET IS BASED ON SERVICES.

This is ideological money-grabbing.

Stop defending yourself for supporting this scam.

Are you now a police on what services are allowed?

If someone *wants* to pay her for a service and she does it - it's still wrong because it offends you?

THAT IS NOT FREEMAKRET - that's regulation.

Stop confusing what you are saying with real libertarianism.

Around the Network
Ckorik said:
Richard_Feynman said:

$160 000. Almost HALF what Obama, the president of the wealthiest nation on earth earns per year. 

barely more than a toll booth operator.

http://nation.foxnews.com/new-york/2011/12/14/ny-toll-booth-worker-makes-100000

Hardly a big deal.  And not serious money.

BS BS BS BS BS BS

$100 000 no a lot of money!?

WHAT WORLD ARE YOU LIVING IN!?

People would KILL for that money in most parts of the world. People are FLOODING into the US and EU for that money. And it won't last forever.

That's a WHOLE YEAR'S money you fool.  And that article is SO out of disputable. What's the minimum wage? Multiply by 8 then 5 then 4 then 12. need some math lessons?

Actually, just leave me alone.

EDIT:

Let me help you with your troubled brain:

(from article)

"Port Authority toll collectors not only grab your money at New York-New Jersey crossings, they’re now pulling down stunning six-figure salaries funded by the levies you pay at bridges and tunnels."

LOOK AT THE UNDERLINED PART FROM YOUR ARTICLE. 

Stop apologizing for her. It's pathetic.

ANd seriously, leave me alone. Anyone worth his salt has seen straight through you by now.

famousringo said:
Richard_Feynman said:
Ckorik said:

Last I heard this was a free country where people could give their money to anyone without being attacked for their reasons - go back to Russia where they tell you what you can spend your cash on.

Terrible.

Does that mean that a pyramid scheme is legal? Have you read the terms and conditions of kickstarter? I have. Can you tell me why she needs funds for making her videos?

You fail at making your point.

You may be too naive to realize this, but researcher, writer, narrator, and video editor are all real jobs that people actually get paid to do.

Well, they were, until your New World Order declared it illegal to earn money from making videos.

Don't forget to thank them for their tremendous economic contribution.

/sarcasm

i.e. my point still stands.

unwavering.

"Well, they were, until your New World Order declared it illegal to earn money from making videos."

People drink WATER and eat FOOD and use ELECTRICITY and electrical APPLIANCES. Maybe they should've made a better career choice.

Maybe...
I can imagine that she did it to get more YouTube clicks and to jump on the Quinnspiracy bandwagon.

Ignore her, she doesn't deserve the media attention.

Ok, Miyamoto was asked about sexism in Mario games (with references to her videos) and the next installment had two playable female characters... Probably a coincidence.

episteme said:

Maybe...
I can imagine that she did it to get more YouTube clicks and to jump on the Quinnspiracy bandwagon.

Ok, Miyamoto was asked about sexism in Mario games (with references to her videos) and the next installment had two playable female characters... Probably a coincidence.

Don't the majority of Mario games have playable female characters?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
Ckorik said:
CDiablo said:
Madword said:
Hopefully we can get back on discussion point now... I mean hardly anyone has discussed the original thread, if the post from the police is true, what does this mean? They have found no evidence...? or was the email from the police a fraud/lie....

Well it seems that folks have found out that she never contacted police for these matters and thus likely wasn't run out of her house as was originally told by her. I don't know about fabrication but she certainly embellished the seriousness of the threats.

“I’ve just another conversation with SFPD. They say they are aware that the Sarkeesian case is being dealt with by the FBI. They don’t have records of calls made in August, which may or may not be because the case was handed off to federal agencies. I’ll follow up with the FBI later, but, irrespective of the merits of her complaints, Anita Sarkeesian is indeed dealing with the FBI.

This is the only thing in the thread I can find that says anything close - and it says she is dealing with the FBI.

So.... how do you go from 'working with the FBI' to 'embellished the seriousness' - let me be frank - dealing with the FBI is about 8 points up (on a scale from 1 to 10) on the serious meter (and that goes from 1 (someone stole my lunch money) to 10 (Welcome to your new Federal Jail Cell)).

Some guy did a video interview (3 days ago)with the PD rep and they have no record of her making any attempt at contacting them, thats all I know. The rep(who researched into it) said there is no record whatsoever. The FBI works in strange ways though. I dont know where your quote comes in or who it is from. If she is indeed working with the FBI I wonder what in the world was done to bring the situation to that level. As it stands the official word is she never contacted anyone(though I dont imagine getting info out of the FBI comes easy. Chances are if the FBI were in on it they would tell both the local PD as well as Anita to not talk about the issue publically(with something this serious).

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

MikeRox said:
episteme said:

Maybe...

Don't the majority of Mario games have playable female characters?

Well, she ignored all the spin-offs in her videos. She only cherry-picked some scenes that supported her point.

woman is a pro-hustler,ever see any of thunderfoots videos on youtube countering her actions,funny stuff https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmb8hO2ilV9vRa8cilis88A

Can every body in this thread please take a chill pill?

We normally let political/human-interest threads go a bit, but we've gotten multiple reports and some of them are quite justified. Do not attack other posters.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

teigaga said:
Areym said:
It doesn't even surprise me. Not in the least. I do not like this woman and what she represents. She could explain her arguments, which are very valid for the most part, in a less bitchy and aggressive tone, I would be ok. HELL, if she was a real gamer, I would actually respect her for taking a stand in her believes. But no. She is a waste of time and I hope stops being even remotely relevant.

Let a real woman, who happens to be a gamer, make her arguments for her.

Why does matter who its coming from, it doesn't change the content of her argument. Just because you don't listen to Hip Hop doesn't mean you can't find issue with its objectification of women.

It makes it more compelling and far more valid if an "expert" or at least a person involved in the action (gaming, playing the actual game) is making these claims and arguments. You would not trust the word of an outsider than that of a seasoned player, would you?

The gender of the messenger is not important, that is true. However, if it is a woman who wants to bring some of these issues to light, at least make sure she is actively involved in gaming. It would resonate far more, especially to gamers, knowing that she is actively playing the games she claims are part of the problem.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian