By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Microsoft bought Mojang, would they ruin it like they did with RARE?

TreeTurtle said:
I hope Microsoft dosen’t waste Mojang’s talent, or ruin what makes them special. It can happen, but it’s pretty Rare.

The problem is, I don't feel like Mojang has talent. I always thought Notch had this great idea, aka Minecraft, but that the company's talent ends there. Minecraft is an easy game to update because pretty much anything you'd add to the game would make sense. It's Minecraft after all.

Around the Network
Squeezol said:
TreeTurtle said:
I hope Microsoft dosen’t waste Mojang’s talent, or ruin what makes them special. It can happen, but it’s pretty Rare.

The problem is, I don't feel like Mojang has talent. I always thought Notch had this great idea, aka Minecraft, but that the company's talent ends there. Minecraft is an easy game to update because pretty much anything you'd add to the game would make sense. It's Minecraft after all.

Notice how the word "Rare" has a capital on it, like Microsoft's other previously bought company, Rare.

nice

TreeTurtle said:
Squeezol said:
TreeTurtle said:

Notice how the word "Rare" has a capital on it, like Microsoft's other previously bought company, Rare.

Ah shoot, you're right. I made that post in a hurry, I guess. Whoopsies. :P

Skeetys said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
MS never ruined Rare, all of Rare's talent left before MS bought them. It's the reason Nintendo didn't want to keep them.

With that clarified, I don't know how MS could ruin a company that made one game. The game itself is mostly a sandbox of tools that users use to make their own fun. It's not like Minecraft has great graphics, music or story. It's just a great initial concept. I would expect MS to make Minecraft 2 with perhaps better graphics and more tools, etc, and possibly make a bunch of money off it.

No, the founders of Rare quit in 2007 and all the other good/original people at Rare were fired and the rest quit in 2010 and 2012. MS bought them YEARS before that in 2002.

Rare's creative staff began leaving in 1998, starting with Martin Hollis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Hollis_%28video_game_designer%29

They'll suck all the creativity out of them just like they did well...almost any company they've purchased. Lionhead, Bizzare, Rare and the list goes on.

Around the Network

Rare will be working on Minecraft 2 imho... wouldn't surprise me if thats MS's thinking.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Skeetys said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
MS never ruined Rare, all of Rare's talent left before MS bought them. It's the reason Nintendo didn't want to keep them.

With that clarified, I don't know how MS could ruin a company that made one game. The game itself is mostly a sandbox of tools that users use to make their own fun. It's not like Minecraft has great graphics, music or story. It's just a great initial concept. I would expect MS to make Minecraft 2 with perhaps better graphics and more tools, etc, and possibly make a bunch of money off it.

No, the founders of Rare quit in 2007 and all the other good/original people at Rare were fired and the rest quit in 2010 and 2012. MS bought them YEARS before that in 2002.

Incorrect.  As pointed out to you above, Martin Hollis (head of software and the guy behind Goleneye and Perfect Dark) left in '98.  Other key members of the Goldeneye team, David Doak, Steve Ellis, Karl Hilton, Graeme Norgate and Lee Ray, left to form Free Radical betwen '98 and '99.  Tim and Chris Stamper had decided to sell retire and asked Nintendo but they obviously had no interest since everyone was leaving.  MS gave the Stampers and Nintendo a bunch of money for it.  I believe the Stampers had a contract to stay on for 5 years as part of the deal.

Quotes from an intereview:

Play4Real: How did you feel when Microsoft acquired Rare?

Tim: Honestly, a little time before that, everyone began going their own separate ways. We were very eager to leave as well.

Chris: Then they gave us a bunch of money.

Tim: Yes they did.

Play4Real: How was your time at Microsoft?

Tim: Dreadful. Utterly dreadful.

Chris: Since most of the original staff had left, the remaining team tried to pull together like the old days.

Tim: It did not work.