By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NPD: 3DS Sales Lowest Since July 2011. About to Fall Behind PSP.

Tablets will kill Nintendo handhelds

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:

Excuse me mister, but if that was true wouldn't 3ds be already dead? I mean no offense but do you not like Nintendo? (Oh Lord have Mercy).

Pokemon a franchise that has over a 13-14mil install base with each new generation also has jesus to thank. That alone will keep Nintendo in the realms of Handhelds. (God Bless)

archer9234 said:
the2real4mafol said:
Augen said:
the2real4mafol said:
wow that is kinda sad

Is to me.  I consider the 3DS and Vita to be far superior to the DS and PSP and yet their sales will come nowhere near those systems.  Not sure what Nintendo's next move is in this environment.

I remember people calling the PSP a flop. So for 3DS to be selling less is crazy despite it doing over 45 million already. I like handheld gaming but the lack of support these days is depressing. Says it all when top developers like 2K would rather port Bioshock to an inferior system like iOS. 

I hope Nintendo at least can adapt. Traditional handhelds have to survive somehow. To me the option of using buttons to play games makes all the difference. Touch screen only is a shitty alternative, you can't have one without the other. 

Companies are gonna go to whatever is hot. At some point, phone game sales will level off. Because it will be common. And companies will spread their stuff more evenly with phone and consoles/handhelds again. They just want to capitlize on the flow of cash that's now. They can ruin their image in the process. Like how music games went down the drain, because of all the milking and junk. It's happend with comics. Everyone was craming to get all their stuff on comixolgy like crazy. Then sales stopped increasing. And print comics went back up.

I guess thats a bit like how MP3 sales were going through the roof all the time and then more recently peaked off and suddenly Vinyl Record sales start to become more popular again. 

Maybe there is hope after all. 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

DélioPT said:
Soundwave said:

I specced a few concept ideas for what the design could be too, not sure which I'd go with. 

3.) Removable "Controller Wings"

Not exactly like what's pictured above, but perhaps the main part of the system is just the screen and you can remove the controller parts on the side and play vertically or horiztonally (DS/3DS) mode. 

I think this is the best idea for those who want to play those old games but are used to console controllers.
Something that you can add or take away would be the best idea to attract all kinds of people.

About the specs in the other post, could that tablet still works as well as any iPad or any other tablet?

And you can push it to 300$ if it is like any other tablet.
It needs to show itself as a viable alternative for those willing to pass away Apple and other manufacturers.
Also, a capacitive screen would be a must.

Would that still be around 300$?

Yes the specs I outlined would give you performance equal/better to a current iPad, but I was looking at a spring 2015 launch by which time this particular chip tech would be fairly mature and not too expensive. 

Also the screen I pencilled in (6.3 inch 1280x720 res) is considerably cheaper than the iPad screen (7.9 inch 2048-by-1536 res). That's where you get big savings from. 

I think $300 is too expensive though, Nintendo can do well competing against the lower end tablet makers I think, but you don't want to get into the higher price range. 

leo-j said:

Nah.. Nintendo handhelds will be affected by tablets, but not killed!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
AZWification said:
leo-j said:

It's a slow death. 3DS will end around half of the DS' lifetime sales. How well will the successor do? 40-50 million lifetime?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
AZWification said:
leo-j said:

It's a slow death. 3DS will end around half of the DS' lifetime sales. How well will the successor do? 40-50 million lifetime?

Assuming it's a Fusion device and assuming Nintendo has learned some bitter lessons this gen and is really sharp next time out, I would say probably 65-80 million (for all variants combined). 

The 3DS + Wii U are still on pace to sell about 90 million systems this gen, now just imagine the 3DS basically has the same chip (or 1/2 as powerful) as the Wii U in it and both played the same games. 

Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:
Soundwave said:

I specced a few concept ideas for what the design could be too, not sure which I'd go with. 

Not exactly like what's pictured above, but perhaps the main part of the system is just the screen and you can remove the controller parts on the side and play vertically or horiztonally (DS/3DS) mode. 

I think this is the best idea for those who want to play those old games but are used to console controllers.
Something that you can add or take away would be the best idea to attract all kinds of people.

About the specs in the other post, could that tablet still works as well as any iPad or any other tablet?

It needs to show itself as a viable alternative for those willing to pass away Apple and other manufacturers.

Yes the specs I outlined would give you performance equal/better to a current iPad, but I was looking at a spring 2015 launch by which time this particular chip tech would be fairly mature and not too expensive. 

Also the screen I pencilled in (6.3 inch 1280x720 res) is considerably cheaper than the iPad screen (7.9 inch 2048-by-1536 res). That's where you get big savings from. 

I think $300 is too expensive though, Nintendo can do well competing against the lower end tablet makers I think, but you don't want to get into the higher price range. 

I too don`t want Nintendo to be in that high price range.

Something in between might be the best way to tell parents that it`s cheap enough for their kids but also good enough for them to use aswell, so they feel more comfortable when thinking about buying one.

2015 might be too soon.

2016 if they decide that too much new hardware will cause people to opt between one another, thus, releasing the tablet first and the handheld and home console a year after so they can get a home console without a controller in retail to take advantage of just the home console.

2017 if they feel confident they can sell at least two of them at first and then the other in the future. Because by then Nintendo will surely have a new HH and a new HC.

Why do people think that the announcement of the n3DS is what's caused these numbers? It hasn't received any release dates over in the west or any promotion. Barely anyone knows about it at this point.

DélioPT said:
Soundwave said:
DélioPT said:
Soundwave said:

I too don`t want Nintendo to be in that high price range.

Something in between might be the best way to tell parents that it`s cheap enough for their kids but also good enough for them to use aswell, so they feel more comfortable when thinking about buying one.

To be honest, they could sell a pretty kick ass tablet for $179-$199 if they were willing to use more off-the-shelf/heavily mass produced components. They could initially take a somewhat smaller profit margin/unit (maybe $5 profit/system). 

But as costs scale down over time that $5 would turn into $10-$25/unit profit if they could hold the same MSRP.